If you’re looking for a new dish to blow away your guests this Thanksgiving, be sure to try out this recipe for corn bread and turkey tamale pie from Giant Eagle Market District.
Corn Bread and Turkey Tamale Pie
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 45-50 minutes
1 ½ lbs Roasted Turkey – pulled
4 cloves Garlic
1 medium Sweet Onion – peeled, sliced
1 fresh Jalapeno – diced
1 fresh Hot Red Chili – diced
1 (28oz. can)Fire Roasted Tomatoes
2 cups Chicken Stock
3 T. Mole Paste
1 T. Cumin – ground
1 T. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Black Pepper – fresh ground
20 fresh Oregano Leaves
1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 each Egg
1/3 cup Milk
½ cup Cheddar Cheese -shredded
½ cup Chihuahua Cheese – shredded
2 T. Chives – minced
For Mole Sauce:
1. In heavy bottomed pot over medium heat; melt butter, add garlic and let brown slightly 3-4 minutes.
2. Add onions, peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
3. Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, mole, cumin, salt, pepper and oregano.
4. Simmer for 8 – 10 minutes and then blend until smooth.
For Corn Bread Mix:
1. Preheat oven to 400° and grease casserole pan.
2. Blend muffin mix, egg, milk, cheese and chives.
3. Place turkey in bottom of the casserole pan and pour mole sauce over top.
4. Evenly spread corn bread mix over entire surface.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes.