Local Police Chief Cares For Sick Dog

CONWAY (KDKA) – The police chief of one Beaver County community has found a soft spot in his heart for a sweet little dog that was recently found in poor health in the middle of a road.

The office of Chief Anthony Blum, of the Conway Police Department, has for now become a make shift kennel, after the pup was brought to him.

The dog is malnourished, very weak and apparently blind in one eye.

“Two little girls called our police department and stated that they found a dog; it was lying in the middle of the highway. It looks to be an older male,” said Chief Blum.

“We’d like to find out if he’s a runway or if he’s lost. We’d love to get it back to the owner; and if not, we’d like to find out who did this to it,” he added. “This is the worst I’ve ever seen. He can barely walk. There’s no reason for this.”

The animals gait it awkward because its nails had grown so long that it couldn’t stride as a normal canine would.

As for the pup’s future, his caretakers say he is not going to be put down, not after what he’s endured.

“Pretty tough dog; he’s a beautiful dog,” said Chief Blum. “He broke my heart. I have a dog at home. I’ve had dogs; something like this, it’s not necessary.”

Anyone with information on who the dog’s owner is or where he may belong is being asked to contact Beaver County 911.

For now, the dog will stay with Chief Blum as he is given serious medical care for his health problems.

Comments

1. Terri says:

God Bless you for taking care of him! He is precious.

2. Donna D. says:

That’s right GOD BLESS YOU!!! That’s awful…. How can that person look themself in the mirror that did this to that lil guy…

3. Stephanie says:

So precious! Thank God for people like him. Anyone have contact information for donations?

4. Greta says:

Thank you chief for caring for this dog! Stories on animal abuse sadden my heart! God Bless!

5. Heidi says:

That is great that you rescued this cute dog. It seems he needs to get to a vet as soon as possible and get some medical care.

6. Jessica W says:

Will this little guy be put up for adoption? He deserves a great home in time for the holidays. I would also love to contribute a donation to help him get the medical attention he needs. I’m sure I’m not the only one. Could a fund be set up?

7. Kathy R says:

I would be happy to send in a donation to help with his medical care, and I would love to give him a home for the holidays! My other rescued babies would love him!

8. Alicia says:

That little dog is a beautiful blessing from the Lord….he is so sweet and precious. It is so sad that somebody neglected him but thank you for taking him in and giving him the help he dearly needs. I would be glad to help with his care as so many others would.

9. Sandra Smith says:

Thank you for helping him. Can we help more with donations?

10. michelle says:

You are a life saver Cheif.I would love to abopt that sweet baby.If you need any help I would gladley help.It brakes my heart how people don’t care for their animals.

11. Dana says:

I’m really sorry, to hear about this poor puppy. I hate how people abuse, and neglect their animals. I would be pleased to take this dog. I would like to know if it is going to be put up for adoption anytime soon, if the owner does not claim the animal.😦

12. Peggy says:

My heart is saddened by this tragic story. His sad eyes tell us of the struggle he has endured. Thank you Chief for not putting him down , but taking him and caring for him. I cannot blelieve that people are so heartless and cruel to let this happen to a defenseless creature. I pray for him to have the strength left in his little body to fight to live. I want to contribute to his medical care so he can get whatever is necessary to make him well. Please let us know how to contribute . We must pray for his body to heal and for him to regain his strength so he can be adopted by a loving family and live out his days in peace ,comfort and love. God bless him.

13. BUD says:

Can we help with a donation? Thanks Cheif for your efforts for this little guy.

14. Kim Smith Lasater says:

With so many police being in the news lately for shooting innocent animals it is refreshing to see an true man of the badge. You are what the representation of a true man is. I hope your town is very proud of you.

15. JEan says:

How can we donate money to this dogs cause?

16. Pamela says:

I only wish the people who did this will one day feel the same amount of pain if not more that this poor doggy did. I would love to adopt him.

17. Rosemary says:

I was heartbroken when I saw this story and the photos of this poor little dog.
    I rescued a dog 17 years ago and we had her for 15 years. The last 10 months of her life were spent with our love and gratitude for her love and loyality. With
    the help of a wonderful Vet at AppleGrove Vet Clinic, I gave her IV infusions
    at home twice a day, and we devoted our time to make her as comfortable
    as possible….why? Because we rescued her and gave her the loving home
    she deserved. She was a gentle, smart and loving dog with us. We would
    love to help with this dog, we would love to welcome him into our home.
    We can supply him with time and care so he can be a healthy joyful dog.
    I thank you for opening your heart and home and your wallet. It can be
    expensive. Can we help? Contact me, please. Thank You

18. Barbara says:

You are a wonderful , caring person chief. I am an animal lover and it breaks my
    heart to see animals abused. If this little guy gets put up for adoption, I would be
    very interested. I would also like to help out with a donation or if there is anything else you need.

19. Wendy says:

Thank You to the girls who found this dog, and Thank You to the Chief for taking him in and giving him a chance. Please let us know where to send a donation, or anything we can do to help. This is so sad and I hope this little guy can hold on and be strong again, happy and healthy!

20. Cathy Hustedde says:

Chief – Bless you & the 2 girls (as well as everyone that has offered to help in any way they can – I hope you will add me to that group also.) Presently, I also find myself “dogless” for the first time in – well, I believe it has to be my childhood & let’s just say “50” has come & gone! If you are unable to find “Precious'” people family & would like to find him a loving, totally spoiling home with a doting Mom that will take him everywhere, provide a safe & happy environment, please give me a call – again, let me know how I can help.

21. Bea says:

It is heartwarming to see the care given this dog. He was meant to cross paths with the Chief. And the outpouring of caring in these comments is wonderful too. Just one thing to all who would be willing to take this dog, it is commendable. Stories like this often bring out the best in people. But, since not all can,adopt this one dog, please remember that there are literally hundreds of dogs (and cats) waiting in shelters for a home. Many will die throughout our area because there is no home. If you have the means, & you certainly sound like you have the love, to give to a pet, consider adopting one. You will save another precious life.

22. Diane says:

What a beautiful little dog my heart breaks when I look at him. We have dogs and they are part of our family.
    Chief you are one of God’s angels on earth to take this little dog and care for him. I can’t send much but would like to know where t could send a small donation to help.
    God Bless you Chief

23. Missy Chaux says:

I just teared up, not just because of the cruel way this dog was barely living, but because it looks so sad, sick, & how it walked, & because it resembled my recently departed dog(w/the way his ears pop up), that I just put to sleep 2 weeks ago. My dog was almost 18, and had excellent care, and love, & I feel for this doggie, as it’s apparent that it had NOT! Why do people treat animals this way? I hope they get it back to health, & a great home.

24. Shirley costantino says:

God Bless you, Sir! I would love to take him in. We have a small dog & minature horse. My little dog is a house dog and I think they would make great companions. Please let us know if we can help and if you are willing to part with the wondreful guy!

25. Dee says:

Nice job taking care of the dog! Perhaps if you put as much effort in to your fellow officiers(dirty Cops) as you did here, we would see less people being abused just like this “Little Guy.” This entire article reaks of pitty for the police in light that so many have been found dirty.

26. Diana R. says:

God Bless you Chief Blum for caring for God’s precious animal. There are so many people who want to help in his medical expenses. Please let us know for I would like to help also. There is not enough punishment to those individuals who do this to these poor animals. I call them BULLIES– because that is what they are. The law needs redefined and harsher punishment given. I, too, rescued a dog whom someone abandoned. I’ve had him now for 11 yrs. He is my ‘buddy’. He gives me unconditional love.

27. Ann says:

Thank you and God Bless you Chief Blum for having such a soft heart to care for this poor abused dog. I was heartbroke and in tears when I saw this story on the news yesterday. How can people be so heartless with a sweet, innocent, lovable dog who only wishes to give unconditional love to their owner. I do hope the owner is caught and pays for doing this unthinkable crime. I would love to donate towards getting him healthy so he could be adopted into a loving home!! Thanks again for being so caring.

28. Angie Shepherd says:

I just contacted the Conway Police Department and was told the dog is in the care of the Pittsburgh Veterinary Speciality and Emergency Center. I contacted PVSEC to inquire about donations. They took my name and number and said they were not taking donations, but the rescue organization that he goes to would be given my name and number. Hopefully I will be able to dontate at that point. They said the little guy was still hanging in there. So hopefully he will make it to a wonderful new forever home. Thanks to all of you that are also trying to donate to help this adorable little guy!

29. Missy Chaux says:

I just called to find out about the dog, & how it was doing today, & they said the owners came in to claim it. Hmmph!! I am curious to know what the story is behind how this dog got to near-death. They had BETTER take care of it!

1. Ray says:

The owners came to claim the dog and that’s the end of it? Not so fast! How about an explanation of why the dog was found in this condition? I hope that PVSEC notified Chief Blum so that charges can be filed if warranted. These so-called “owners” had best have a darn good reason, no forget that. There is no reasonable explanation for why this poor animal was so neglected. What assurance was given that this little dog will receive the proper attention and care he deserves? I don’t think these people deserve to get him back!

30. L. Ray Bashline says:

I, on behalf of all the animal lovers, want to take my hat off to the two girls as well as Chief Blum for the heroic efforts that they all did for that little dog. Animals don’t demand a whole lot-water, food, veterinarian visits when needed but most of all lots of LOVE. I think it is time for the lawmakers to re-visit, revise and ENFORCE regulations that will hopefully make people accountable that permit this type of abuse to continue. It seems like we are hearing more and more of this type of negligence recently. At some point in time these people chose to be owners therefore they need to be responsible. I very recently lost my poodle of old age (15+ years) and has left a huge, empty void in my life. Let us know where we can send our donations to help defray the cost of the
    treating veterinarian and keep all of us posted on the progress of this “little guy”. Thank you and God Bless each and everyone of you.

31. Missy Chaux says:

Ray: I’m with you, buddy. That dog’s nails were grown to severe length. Don’t tell me that dog wandered, & got lost over a couple of days, or even a week. Dogs nails do NOT grow to that extreme length in that short amt. of time! No effin way.

32. Joyce says:

I can’t beleive that they just gave this poor little dog back to it’s owners. I don’t believe they will take any care of him now than they did before. They should be brought up on animal cruelty charges, not given the dog back. Even if the dog was lost, I know if it were my dog I would not rest until I found it. All we can do is pray that the Chief made the right decision to give the dog back.

Comments are closed.