Winter Classic Expected To Boost First Night Attendance

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – First Night Pittsburgh will have an international flair this year as people from around the world will be in town for the NHL Winter Classic.

With the Pittsburgh Penguins scheduled to host the Washington Capitals at Heinz Field on New Year’s Day, First Night is expected to be more crowded than usual.

This year, there will be something for everyone.

“We kind of draw people in with that classical sound and then, the rhythm hits and then we go crazy [until] the end,” Nicole Myers of Cello Fury said.

“I kind of grew up with First Night and it’s really been great to be able to perform on it,” Simon Cummings said.

This year’s edition of First Night Pittsburgh promises to be the best yet.

There will be the traditional fireworks and not just at midnight. They’ll have an earlier show for the kids at 6 p.m.

“We focused it in the Cultural District intentionally to give people a sense of the Cultural District and it is a family-friendly alcohol-free arts celebration, but it’s very diverse,” Kevin McMahon of the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust said.

It’s not every day that you find Caribbean-style steel drums, but it will all come together with First Night Pittsburgh.

“We have a tie-in with the big hockey match on New Year’s Day, so we are really excited about having a bigger crowd than normal,” McMahon said.

In all, 150 performances at more than 50 venues will grace the Cultural District.

Crowd favorite Steel Town Fire is coming back with its unique mix of flames and dance. More music than you can imagine will be heard throughout the Cultural District.

“This is really the community’s event and we recognize the importance of the arts and of course we want to develop new arts audiences as well. So, we want to expose as many people as we can to the wealth of offerings that we have,” Kathryn Heinemann from First Night Pittsburgh said.

Tickets cost just $8 in advance and $10 at the door.

Comments

1. SchmutzCo Don says:

The Schmutz Company is so excited to be part of First Night!!!

Come help us to create an animation at 907 Penn Ave – it’s free with your First Night badge and will be featured along side of digital art work done by area children and curated by the Warhol Museum.

2. Samuel Klingensmith says:

Yea, sure I brought my family down for light up night and the 4th of July, and there were shootings at both of them.

Unless you are planning on handing out bulletproof vests for my 5 yr old I think I will pass. The gun violence in the city is out of control. I won’t ever come back!

3. @sam – while those isolated incidents are tragic, this city hardly has “out of control gun violence” and it’s a shame your not willing to share such a fun filled magical experience with your child. I’ve taken part in First Night for the past 3 years and had an amazing time each year. I’m also a city resident and wouldn’t have it any other way. There is no part of this city that I’ve not felt safe walking or driving through in the 12 years I’ve lived here.

4. Stephen Wood says:

Its not isolate if it happens all the time. I don’t want my family shot either! I won’t ever come back to the city for any event!

5. Dan says:

GUN violence is out of control. Whats the murder rate this year? Yea thats what I thought !

6. Larry Ville says:

What is what you thought? You didn’t cite anything. Since crime stats have not been reported for this year yet I’d suggest looking at last years.

Have any of you actually read the crime stats for the city? Crime is really low and aside from the Southside and Hazelwood nearly all city neighborhoods have seen a serious decrease in crime in the last 10 years.

You’re a thousand times more likely to die driving here from the burbs than you are to be injured at one of these events.

7. Larry Ville says:

As the city is the most dense it’s going to naturally see higher levels of crime than other parts of the county but seeing as how there were 39 murders last year in the city and 78 county wide avoiding the city in no way assures that you won’t be murdered since half the murders occurred OUTSIDE of the city.

There were 3 murders, 7 sexual offenses, and 25 assaults in Collier Township in 2009. Do you also avoid going there?

There were 56 assaults in Elizabeth – do you avoid going there?

Crime is NOT an urban problem. It does goes up with density but the likelihood of dieing from car accidents, heart disease, and lots of other causes of death drop more significantly.

When you look at the facts they speak for themselves, when you listen to hyped up media reports and ignore logic and reason you loose out on the chance to experience great things.

While some crime victims are innocent bystanders that vast majority of violent criminals were specifically targeted by their attackers. The chances of you being shot, not just accidentally, but in general, is less than the chances of you being hit by a car while enjoying First Night activities.

Now, since there is no logical reason related to the slim chance of you being the victim of gun violence is there some OTHER reason that you’d not come to First Night, maybe a reason just as ignorant?

8. steve says:

I WAS AT LIGHT UPM NIGHT AND WILL NEVER SPEND ONE DIME IN THAT CITY AGAIN. NOTHING BUT ANIMALS AND IF I WOULD HAVE NOT HAD MY CHILDREN WITH ME , I SWEAR I WOULD HAVE SHOT EVERYONE OF THOSE ANIMALS.

1. Larry Ville says:

So you brought a gun with you to Light Up Night?

That’s responsible – nearly as responsible as threatening to discharge it at a crowded event. You probably should not be allowed to own a gun.

9. steve says:

I,AM LEGAL TO CARRY A PISTOL , YOU MUST BE ONE OF THOSE LIBERAL MORONS IVE BEEN HEARING ABOUT.

1. larry ville says:

I only said that you shouldn’t be able to carry based on your threat to shoot people in a crowded event. Call me what you will but I never said that guns should be illegal. I just think that anyone dumb enough to make such a threat should clearly not have the right to carry one because you don’t understand what goes along with that right.

10. steve says:

LARRY,
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOUR VIEWS ON CARRYING A WEAPON WOULD CHANGE IF YOU WERE AS CLOSE TO THAT SHOOTING WITH YOUR CHILDREN AS I WAS? LISTEN, I HAVE NO CRIMINAL RECORD, GO TO WORK EVERYDAY, AND LIKE YOU, ENJOY SPENDING TIME WITH MY FAMILY. BUT, I WILL NOT TAKE MY FAMILY INTO TOWN AT NIGHT AGAIN,AND IAM PRETTY SURE THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO WILL FOLLOW SUIT.

11. Larry Ville says:

I was at the USX plaza when it happened. I’ll go next year just as I’ve done for the past 10. If anything First Night should be even safer this year than in past because of this. With the spotlight on Pgh the cops are probably not going to take anything from anyone.

Let me ask this – do you drive your kids around in a car? If so you’re already putting them at a higher risk than you did taking them to LUN.

Do you drive on Rt. 28 or Rt. 51 or Rt. 22? Look at the fatalities that occur as well as the debilitating injuries that occur.

Guns are safer than cars – I’ll never change my opinion on that.

12. steve says: