Local Girl’s Wish Granted By Make-A-Wish Foundation

By KDKA Web Intern Katie McLaughlin

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Santa and Macy’s teamed up with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to grant a little girl her wish.

Seven-year-old Nikita Lee suffers from intractable epilepsy, which cannot be controlled with medication. She has always wanted to sleep in a castle, and the McKeesport native is getting her wish – with a princess castle bedroom makeover. But Nikita needed to look like a princess as well.

Friday, Macy’s and Santa treated Nikita to a special princess makeover, gifts and lunch at Tic Toc, Macy’s restaurant.

A limo whisked Nikita and her family to Macy’s in downtown Pittsburgh, where Make-A-Wish Foundation and Macy’s staff greeted her with a bouquet, hot pink princess sash and glittering tiara.

Nikita then donned a purple princess dress, white stole, sequined silver purse, magic wand and sparkly princess shoes. She also received a makeover from Benefit makeup artists, complete with eyeliner in bright blue, her favorite color.

After writing a letter to Santa and placing it in Macy’s Believe mailbox, Nikita met Santa, who gifted her with a plush pink and purple unicorn, a Barbie princess doll, and princess accessories. Nikita also received a pint-size teddy bear, which she gifted to her little brother, Isaiah.

The day wrapped up at Tic Toc, where Nikita ordered her favorite lunch, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Nikita can’t wait to see her princess castle bedroom, and Santa has promised her more presents, which she will share with her brother on Christmas Day. She is just one of many children who have had their truest wish come true, thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation is granting dozens of wishes across the country as part of Wishes Across America. This coincides with Macy’s National Believe Day, during which Macy’s will double their Believe mailbox donations, donating $2 for every letter dropped in the Santa Mail Letterboxes.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation grants wishes to children ages two-and-a-half to 18-years-old with life-threatening medical conditions. More information about the foundation and how to donate can be found at Wish.org.

Comments

1. Elaine Pavkovich says:

Very touching story and GOD BLESS Nikita and also for being so brave and I’M GLAD HER WISHES ARE BEING DONE FOR HER. I’m so glad that we have a caring and loving Foundation out there.. I’m a grandmother who has a granddaughter who is a diabetic since she was 2 years old, now 16 and I know how heartbroken we were when she was diagnose with it but we all learned how and what to do for her and she is doing well. I wish NIKITA the best and many more happy day. Elaine

1. bobbi says:

dont forget http://www.unityajourneyofhope.org does the same great work for adults

1. mother of an adult "child" says:

Bobbi thank you for that link. I hope they can help us.

2. MOTHER OF NIKITA says:

THANK U SO MUCH 4 YOUR KIND WORDS…I WISH YOU ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! ITS TOUGH WHEN WE GET NEWS THAT OUR CHILD, GRANDCHILD OR ANY CHILD FOR THAT MATTER IS DIAGNOSED WITH AN ILLNESS REGARDLESS IF ITS LIFE THREATENING, MAKE A WIS REALLY GIVES OUR CHILDREN A FIGHTING CHANCE…GOD BLESS THEM!!!!

2. Kem says:

I always thought Make-a-Wish only supported children with terminal illnesses. I certainly won’t claim that living with epilepsy is easy, but it’s hardly “life threatening” in comparison to cancer or AIDS. There are hundreds of kids in Children’s Hospital right now who will be spending Christmas in a hospital bed with far more serious conditions. Make-a-Wish and Macy’s should have spent their limited funds and resources on them than a girl who will be having a normal Christmas with her family at their own home.

1. Henry says:

Kem, Shame on you. And my blessings to Pamela’s family.

2. Uncle Joe (Nikita) says:

What is wrong with you? (You must be a Republican).

1. MOTHER OF NIKITA says:

THANKS UNCLE JOE

2. Ryan says:

Kem was an idiot, was the shot at Republicans necessary though? Or even accurate? No, and no.

I am a republican and i think this story is wonderful. Children with illnesses deserve breaks like this.

3. Melissa says:

I know of several children who have died from having a severe epileptic seizure that damaged their brain and could not recover from. Any child who is suffering from any disease deserves a little moment of joy. To say that one illness deserves more recognition than another is a little heartless.

3. Unnecessary Comments says:

Kem,
    You should keep your comments to yourself. If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. If she wasn’t a minority, you probably wouldn’t have commented.

4. Kem says:

“Anyone who disagrees with me is racist!!1one”.

Typical liberal response.

5. Unnecessary Comments says:

Kem is a ghetto name in the first place. Your mother gave you that name so that you can be different. But speaking about racism, youre too ignorant to do so. So i suggest you either leave the farm that youre on or go feed your pigs and leave the rest of the world alone. Is your computer ran by a generator or cornfeed?

6. Tim Miller says:

I love this story! Just look at that little smile on her face while they’re applying the makeup. Priceless!!!!! So proud and so regal. God bless her. She gets to forget about her problems for a brief time and feel like a normal child, better yet, a real-life princess. God bless Macy’s, the limo company, Make-A-Wish, and anyone else involved! I wish ALL children suffering from afflictions could feel like this, if only for a day. Merry Christmas all, and Kem, her condition is life threatening, so just be happy for her.

1. Kem says:

Try saying that with a straight face to any parent at Children’s who has a child hooked up to several machines and has a life expectancy that is numbered in months.

As I said earlier, epilepsy is difficult, but at least she has a shot at a normal childhood–going to school, having school friends, celebrating the holidays at home instead of a hospital room, never knowing what it’s like to spend hours each week hooked up to a dialysis machine, never had to anxiously wait for an organ transplant, doesn’t have to spend every moment of her life hooked up to a ventilator or other machine, never had to worry if she was coming out a risky surgery alive, etc. There are plenty of kids (of ALL races, if that even needs to be said) in the Pittsburgh region who have had it much harder than her, and her family and they are the ones who should be called “brave” and given a reward.

1. FixPGH says:

Kem you did read the part in the story where it said her condition can NOT be treataed by medication right? So why do you think she’ll have a normal childhood? She can break out into an epileptic siezure at any time, with no way to control or lessen it. So she probably won’t be able to go to school, maybe it is fatal? They may try to operate on her someday, you never know. If you have a child or family member with a life-threatening illness then I’m sorry. Some of those children aren’t able to do much due to their condition, but Make-A-Wish would do whatever they could for them, too. I know someone that is a nurse for a terminally ill child and Make-A-Wish sent them to Disney. She got to go to be his on-site nurse. Don’t go hating just because a child APPEARS to have “not that bad of a problem” than others. You don’t know the whole story you inconsiderate, heartless jerk.

2. MOTHER OF NIKITA says:

MAY GOD BLESS YOU AS WELL TIM…HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

7. Whycantwealljustgetalong says:

Yes, Kem. You should truly be ashamed of yourself. Regardless of how “life threatening” her condition is, the Make a Wish Foundation is all about making dreams come true for all children in some way or another. Just because her condtion isn’t life threatening doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be cared for or have her dreams come true too. The look on her face is priceless!

8. Kem says:

Whycant, if the Make-a-Wish Foundation is spending money on children without life-threatening issues, then they’re guilty of false advertising. I’d have no problem with their actions if they didn’t specifically go out of their way to advertise that it’s ONLY for children with life-threatening conditions. Just because they’re a charity and help children doesn’t give them license to be deceptive. They should be held accountable.

1. Ryan Stephenson says:

Kem,

Where have you heard that uncontrolled epilepsy is not life threatening? I think it is important to consider that our perceptions may not be completely accurate, and may be susceptible to influence by what we see in the media. Despite what many people may believe, many childhood cancers (such as some leukemias and lymphomas) have a cure rate that has increased drastically since the 80s when there were TV shows showing children dying quickly from cancer. With certain leukemias, the vast majority of children survive. However, other less well known conditions like staticus epilepticus that can be very life threatening, but people haven’t heard about them on NBC “The more you know” segments. I submit that ailing a suffering child is a good thing, and this is a wonderful story.

9. Whycantwealljustgetalong says:

How are they being deceptive?? Accountable for what?? Making a child with an illness happy. Are you a lunatic Kem?? And if you want to talk about having a hard time, there are alot of families that are having a hard time without an illness. They aren’t all getting help from the Make a Wish Foundation. Why can’t you just be happy for what they are doing for someone with an illness…..period. Again…..you should be ashamed of yourself. But your day will come………..trust me!

1. MOTHER OF NIKITA says:

ITS CRAZY HOW SOMEBODY CAN PUT DOWN SUCH A WONDERFUL ORANIZATION….MUST BE PERSONAL!!!! I WISH YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMILY A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY

10. Gammy says:

Many thoughts ran through my mind after reading the negative comments by Kem, I wondered if his claim that living with epilepsy was “easy,” or his observations about the kids at Children’s Hospital were based on personal experiences, or merely the rantings of a need-to-be-downer with a keyboard and time to spare? Prior to his follow-up claim that Make A Wish is guilty of false advertising, I was going to tell him about my own grandson, a 9-year old with epilepsy and myriad other issues, a future Wish kid whose life is not in imminent danger, although I can assure him there are days when it’s a fine line. I would inform him that when I “confessed” this to Make a Wish, they explained their focus on children whose quality of life is threatened, and hoped that he would live for many years with the memories that a Wish might provide, especially during the trying times. I may have suggested that an appropriate remedy for his concerns would be to become involved, donate funds, or nominate one of those other deserving kids for a Wish.

So we’re on false advertising now? Then you are hereby crowned King of False Advertising for making unfounded, baseless claims about things you know nothing of while claiming to be a concerned and caring individual. Get real instead!

11. girl says:

one of those informative posts i get interested reading with. this is very helpful not just to bloggers but also to those readers out there.

12. Pamela Wolfe says:

My daughter was a make-a-wish kid. My daughter was granted her wish because she does have epilepsy. It is life changing, life threatening. My daughter has already lost one friend to death because of a seizure episode. I do feel sorry for all the kids being away from their homes on Christmas day…i was one of those kids when i was little. But, part of make-a-wish is that the doctor has to verify that they feel the child is healthy enough to take on a wish and not be in too much health distress because of it. Not every child is in this position that they are sick enough to qualify and yet healthy enough to go on a granted wish.

I wish people would find out the true information before just spouting off there opinions without knowing all the ins and outs of a program.

I wish all Make A wish kids and families a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I wish all the patients of Children’s Hospital a Merry Christmas.

13. emmie says:

I think this is great, I know her and her family and they are wonderful people. It’s great that she will have this dream full filled and its right at Christmas time. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

14. emmie says:

This is a great family and its great that this happened for her so close to Christmas. I know them and I know how wonderful this gift is for kita. It’s truly a Christmas miracle.

1. MOTHER OF NIKITA says:

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT HUNNY…WE MISS ALL OF U DEARLY ND PREY THAT U ARE ALL WELL…I THINK ABOUT U ALL OFTEN, HAPPY HOLIDAYS, KISS THEM BABIES FOR ME!!!

15. Karen says:

It warms my heart to see this little girl’s wish granted. However, I can’t help but have it break when I read this story for you see, I know a little boy with intractable epilepsy whose wish was denied by the Make A Wish Foundation. They said that his condition would not cause him to die. That was the basis for their denying the wish. Although it was explained that his disorder of Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome was a lifelong condition that was not without its risks of complications that could involve death, they still denied granting this little boy a wish. At any rate, it’s nice to see that the Make A Wish Foundation in Pittsburgh is there to make this little girl’s dream come true.

1. MOTHER OF NIKITA says:

IM SO SORRY TO HEAR THIS NEWS…I CANT IMAGINE THIS WONDERFUL FOUNDATION TO DENY ANY ILL CHILD A WISH REGARDLESS IF ITS LIFE THREATENING…I DO HOWEVER KNW THAT THE CHILDS DOCTOR IS HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR APPROVING THE WISH AND ALL MAKE A WISH IS ACCOUTABLE FOR IS BRINGING THE WISH TO LIFE ONCE THE DOCTOR APPROVES OF IT. I HOPE THAT U ALL HAVE A BLESSED HOLIDAY

16. Caitlin says:

umm kem ..that little girls happens to be my family ..shes apart of make a wish for a reason so maybe u should keep ur mouth shut ..thank you🙂

1. MOTHER OF NIKITA says:

CAITLIN YOU ARE CRAZY LOL AND THANKS FOR BACKING UP MY PRINCESS WE LOVE YOU

17. holly thompson says:

I agree with Kem.

18. Nurse at childrens says:

I agree too! I personally know or children wlo are fighting for life who have been turned down.NOT FAIR!!!! But I am still praying for ahealing for her. Glad she had her day.May God bless her.

19. Concerned citizen says:

Thank you Kem for proving my point that KDKA has done a TERRIBLE thing by allowing complete strangers, with no knowledge of the REAL story, to comment on it.
    What was your intention by doing this? To form hatred and create more news stories? Way to go!!!

20. Concerned citizen says:

To Nikita family,
    God Bless You…..life threathening or not, a childs illness is something you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy. My heart breaks for you to have to read such ridiculous and hurtful comments. Even if it was just for a day or a few minutes, I hope that Nikita was able to be that little princess that she dreams of!

Comments are closed.