PITTSBURGH — Pitt head football coach Mike Haywood found himself in good company Tuesday, receiving one vote for AP Coach of the Year honors.
Haywood was one of seven coaches across the country to receive a vote. He orchestrated the biggest turnaround in college football this year, improving to 9-4 and winning the Mid-American Conference championship after a 1-11 season in 2009.
Chip Kelly won the award with 24 of a possible 55 votes.
Here are the final results for the award:
1. Chip Kelly, Oregon (24 votes)
2. Gene Chizik, Auburn (17)
3. Jim Harbaugh, Stanford (5)
4. Gary Patterson, TCU (3)
4. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State (3)
6. Mike Haywood, Miami University (1)
6. Chris Ault, Nevada (1)
6. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State (1)
Chris Gates | Area 4-1-Zoo Blog