Zeise Updates The Pitt Coaching Situation

Pittsburgh (93-7 The Fan) – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Pitt football beat writer Paul Zeise joined the Fan Morning Show Tuesday from Birmingham, Ala. the site of the BBVA Compass Bowl.

Zeise thought that Pitt should never have let Dave Wannstedt go in front of a podium yesterday and that he should have announced his decision through a written statement.

Zeise said that Steve Pederson is nowhere to be found these days, but he has met with the outgoing coaches. He will continue to be the point person for this next search. Pitt Chancellor Mark Nordenberg will also be involved in the search, according to Zeise.

Mike Haywood was a not a tough sell to Nordenberg, according to Zeise. Haywood’s tone at the press conference was exactly what Nordenberg and Pedersen wanted out of their next coach. It was probably a reason Haywood was hired so quickly, Zeise said.

He expects the search to ramp up in the next few days for names to start coming out. Zeise expects that Penn State assistant Tom Bradley will benefit from the list being expanded to include coordinators and assistant coaches.

**Interview goes in and out due to poor cell phone reception in Alabama.

More from The Fan Morning Show
Comments

1. james wilding says:

If you want to save this years recruiting class, it better be sooner than later.
    If Pitt was able to secure Tom Bradley, could they sway any of Penn State’s recruits/
    I think everyone realizes that almost all of the recruits on defense, over the last few decades, came to Penn State for Tom Bradley.

1. cmaglaughlin says:

As Johnny Carson would say, ” I did not know that. “

2. michelle says:

PLEASE INTERVIEW TOM BRADLEY AND HIRE HIM ALREADY- HE CAN RECRUIT AND LEAD PITT BACK TO RESPECTABILITY SOONER THAN LATER- MAYBE EVEN KEEP SOME OF THIS YEAR’S RECRUITS FROM JUMPING SHIP.

3. Ray Haluska says:

A note to wealthy PItt alumni:
    Save your douigh!
    Steve Must Go!

1. FIRE PEDERSON ALREADY!!! says:

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE AND I HOPE THE CHANCELLOR IS LISTENING
      BECAUSE IF PEDERSON IS THE AD IN THE FALL MANY FANS AND SUPPORTERS LIKE MYSELF WILL BE SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN HEINZ FIELD ON SATURDAY AFTERNOONS
      FIRE PEDERSON ALREADY!!!!!

4. Erik Kulick says:

Word to the wise — I have been a Pitt fan since the day I came out of the womb, as well as a 1995 graduate. There is a reason why Penn St. and WVU are never in this situation. Give the leadership at Pitt a 2nd chance and golden opportunity to hire Tom Bradley and they’ll decide to make Phil Bennett the head coach after the bowl game!!! S.O.P. (Same Old Pitt!!!)

1. boondock saint says:

You are probably hitting the nail on the head. Another reason why Pederson needs to go and Pitt will always be a second tier program, but I’m keeping my Irish fingers crossed and hope my prayers are answered that Coach Bradley will actually be given an interview this time….hey, maybe after they hire Rich Rodriguez and he gets canned in a month for a yet to be determined NCAA violation the third time will be a charm…

5. boondock saint says:

Even Dan Rooney is upset that Tom Bradley never got a call. Usually when the Godfather of the NFL speaks, people will listen regardless of the level. Everything I have seen of Tom Bradley reeks of class (a rarity in the abomination that college football administration has become these days) and is what Pitt sorely needs. I’ve never been a true Pitt football fan, but if they were to actually wise up and bring him in…I would be finally be willing to take the plunge.

6. joe says: