McKees Rocks Vet Wants Tattered Flag Taken Down

MCKEES ROCKS (KDKA) — A McKees Rocks veteran can’t stand the sight of the tattered American Flag near his home.

The flag is flying in front of the abandoned Elks Lodge in McKees Rocks.

Vietnam veteran Tom Wojtasiak said he tried to take down it himself, but the rope wasn’t connected to the flag.

“I just thought it was a disgrace to have the flag flying in that condition and nobody wanted to do anything – didn’t know who to call about it,” he said.

Wojtasiak says he’s willing to pay a reasonable price for someone to take it down.

Clark Rogers, acting director of the National Flag Foundation in Uptown, says the American Flag should not be flown when it is dirty or tattered.

There is protocol when a flag is no longer presentable.

“The flag should be taken down respectfully and it should be folded even though it’s tattered,” he said. “And the Boy Scouts will take it out and have a retirement ceremony where they burn the flag and then bury the ashes.”

Meanwhile, Wojtasiak will not look the other way.

“People are still dying – Afghanistan, Iraq,” he said. “I mean, somebody has to care.”

Comments

1. Doug Suehr says:

I couldn’t agree more, and I’d be happy to share the cost, either a new flag or to have it retired properly.
    Doug Suehr
    Kennedy Twp., PA

2. Don Little says:

I am a Vietnam veteran! I will have the Flag taken down, and prpperly retired. My family that includes former Boy Scouts,We will do it. We will be Proud to do it, and of course we will do it without charge. Don Little McKees Rocks Pa.

3. Joe Graham says:

Don,
    You’re not only a Veteran (you forgot to capitalize the word Veteran) you’re a proud, caring and responsible citizen and person! Thank you for taking care of this!
    Joe Graham, Mercer PA

4. Megan says:

It’s just a flag, an object and nothing more.

1. Bill Carrs says:

Please megan ~~~~ move out of America , you ignorant anti-American, Obvious a total looser ~~~~~ The American flag stands for a free nation, and a lot more meaning than your pea size brain could comprehend.

2. trisha says:

It is a symbol of our country of freedom.

3. BOB says:

MEGAN, SOME BODY NEEDS TO EXPLANE WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A CITIZEN OF THE USA.SAYING THAT THE FLAG IS JUST AN OBJECT IS LIKE SPITTING ON THE GRAVES AND IN THE FACE OF AMERICAN VETS.THESE HEROES GOT WOUNDED AND LOST THEIR LIVES JUST SO YOU CAN SAY THAT THE FLAG IS NOT IMPORTANT.YOU MUST OF NOT EVER HAD A LOVED ONE SERVE IN THE MILITARY.

4. ZOEYZOTRON says:

MEGAN – You make me sick. Your lack of understanding or caring for what the flag stands for is disturbing. I am so thankful that gentlemen like Joe and Don who served/serve this country did not share your weak attitude. i will not waste my time educating you, however I suggest that you read upon your american history a bit.

5. George Miller says:

Yes, your are partially right. It is a an object but it is so more more. It a symbol of a land that is free. If you do not understand what that freedom is try this for a week, if you last that long. When you go shopping image going to only one store and only being allow to buy 1 gal of milk and 2 loaf of bread for the week. Enough meat for only 1 or 2 days. Nothing else is allow to be brought. Do you like working at your job, now trying go to a different job even if you do not lke to. At the job being paid what the gov think you should be pay and no benefits. Now going to that job will have to walk or get a another way, because cars and gasoline are under the goverment control and only certain people have the right to own them. Do you like traveling around your area? Image this before you leave your area you have to ask the locl gov for a pass to leave. How about the law? Image that you have no right to elect any one to improve those laws and the police have complete authority over you and your house. I know this for a fact because I was station place like this Panama, at the canle. Yes it is a object, but tried to remeber that for over 200 year people think that that object is worth fighting and dying for and it is still happening today. It is an object that I happen to love and yes even fight and die for. Like I said “is it so much more”.
      Please get that object down and retired, and then get an new one. So this object will fly over this free land again.

6. tom says:

if you dont love America get out out pack and leave get your ass out of our country people have fought and died for that flag

5. Dee says:

Cant the fire department get it down?

6. Donna says:

Megan you know nothing about the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I agree
    with Bill move out of America. Did you ever take a history class?

7. Nick59 says:

Megan men and women gave there lives so you can make such a disrespectful comment. Its Apparent you never had a close relative serve and or die in military .
    Just saying what you said in the former USSR or Nazi Germany would have had you shot of hanged. Even in modern Iran or China would imprison you.
    It is ignorant people like you who have never given even once to help there country in any way that make such statements.
    Learn your history and know the shame you bring upon yourself.
    You do not have to be a Vet to show respect to your country and be a good citizen. Many of us never served or where not able to but we still contribute to our society and way of life unlike any other in the world.
    Maybe a few days in a Former Soviet Era Gulag would change your attitude.

8. Nancy Graham says:

Megan you are a poor example of a good citizen. I’m ashamed for you if you don’t have the decency to be ashamed for yourself in making such a statement.

9. John says:

Any local Boy Scout troop will retire US Flags free of charge.

10. JAUN says:

MEGAN YOU SOUND LIKE A SPOILED BRAT.VISIT A V A HOSPITAL OR BETTER YET THE NATIONAL CEMETERY IN BRIDGEVILLE. THESE HEROES GAVE LIFE AND LIMB FOR THAT FLAG SO A$$ HOLES LIKE YOU CAN SAY THAT ITS ONLY AN OBJECT.

11. Jay Silla says:

That property was purchased in July 2010 by AJK REALTY INVESTMENTS LLC. It might be a good idea to look up the owner on the County Real Estate website and ask HIM to take down the flag, or at least get his permission to do it yourself.

KDKA, why couldn’t you perform this simple bit of research? It took me less than sixty seconds…

12. Michelle says:

I agree, KDKA! Why couldn’t you have taken a stand and had this corrected which would have begun and ended this with a happy ending? God Bless America, our Veteran’s, our military and people who care!

13. Nick says:

For Megan,

14. Pat says:

Tom, thank you for bringing this to the publics attention.

15. chevelle64 says:

thanks for watching out for this, keep up the good work , we need more people like you checking for tattered flags

16. Jamal says:

It is just a piece of cloth whats the big deal? I went to a couple anti war protests in DC and i saw a few flags being burned and nobody got mad at all.

17. tom w says:

I would like to thank Dave Crawley and KDKA. When I drove past the Elks Club this morning (11:38) the flag was down. I would like to take this time to tell you that this was a task that I was on for approx 7 weeks. Without the help of KDKA I’m sure that the flag would still be up.
    I talked with Dave for approx 20 minutes before we did the taping. During that time I Mentioned that AJK Realty is the owner of the building. I told Dave that I could not find any telephone number for AJK (verizon phone book). He might have had a different source I don’t know. Like I stated before without his help I have a good idea that the flag would still be flying.
    I just want to take this time to thank everyone for their kind comments.
    Megan, maybe when you grow up you’ll have a better understand of what the flag stands for.

18. Plugg says:

Tom you are a strange fellow. So many problems in this world and so much to improve on. And you are concerned about a tattered piece of cloth?

19. tom w says:

Plugg not the first time that I’ve been called strange. But seeing how I cannot do much for world hunger. or world peace, or the price of gasoline or the trouble in the middle east,or the genocide in africa. I have found that a victory no matter how trivial it may seen to you makes me feel better about the world I live in. I’m sort of glad that you don’t live in my world

20. Julie K. says:

absolutely loved this story. Keep it up Tom…the world needs more caring folks like you!

Comments are closed.