Pittsburgh School Teacher Collapses In Class

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A Pittsburgh Public Schools teacher has died.

Ebony Pugh, a spokeswoman for the district, says David Barkley collapsed in class at Langley High School during finals. He taught machine operations.

Barkley was rushed to a local hospital where he died.

Grief counselors will be at the school Friday.

1. SYDNEY B. says:

2. Brian says:

This is a great loss. He was truly a great man.

3. Hank Kasavich says:

I was blessed to know him – great teacher – great friend

4. Kevin says:

I was in the classroom when this happened, I will really miss him. He did a lot for the students he taught, whether it was big or small and help them on his own time. Another friend of mine who was sitting next to me, the person who dialed 911 was close to him and became traumatized when it happened. Mr. Barkley I know I can never get to say this to you and I am sorry I never did. Thank you for all you helped me with and everything you tried to help me with, I appreciate it. I never got that arm wrestling match, when we meet again I got first dibs on that match!

5. Timothy j. says:

R.I.P Mr. Barkley there will never be a machine shop better then the one you tought, u will be greatly missed, but never forgotton, my thoughts and prayers go out 2 your family

1. Jen H says:

It’s really sad that you are bothering these kids about their grammar, after they witnessed a wonderful man pass away! At least they have taken the time out of their day to write about him, and share their thoughts. How dare you try and correct them after what happened. They are just sharing their feelings. Leave them alone! Shame on you!

6. Joe M. says:

a great loss… i feel sorry that future students at langley will never have the privilege to be taught by such a great man.. its been forever since i was lucky enough to be in his class and even consider him one of the best teachers i had… he will be missed.. my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

7. Daniel G says:

I remember Mr. Barkley was the coolest. Him and the Marasti bros…. Damn you were the man at wrestling back in the day (2002) … Praying for you and your family.

8. Johanna Murphy says:

Dave was a great man, and a great and caring teacher. He will be missed.

9. Julie T. says:

He was a cousin of mine and such a great person. I cannot remember a time where he did not have a BIG smile on his face. Thank you for all the comments, he truely loved teaching and enjoyed making a difference in his students’ lives.

10. spencer hopkins says:

Although I never had the honor of being in his classroom, Mr. Barkley was one of my favorite teachers at Langley. He helped me through a tough time in my life, and for that i am eternally grateful. Rest in peace coach.

11. April and Mike W says:

Dave was our friend and neighbor. He was a wonderful person that was always there for us. He never had a negative thing to say about anything or anyone. We should all learn alot from him. He will be missed dearly but will forever been in our hearts and on our minds. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family. You have made an impact in our lives and we will be forever greatful. This situation makes you realize not to take friends for granted because you never know when they are going to be taken away. We love you Dave.

12. Bobby G says:

I graduated in ’98 I was in his homeroom and also was blessed by getting to spend 3 periods with him my senior year, I also was on the wrestling team. I never seen him mad or upset. And he let use learn without forcing us to do anything, if that makes any sense. He was one of the kindest people I have met. I feel sorrow, not just for his family, but for everyone that has had the privilege of knowing him, and the people that lost out by not meeting him.

13. Kati S says:

You were one of the best track coaches and one of the nicest people I have ever met. You will be missed

14. Randall Smith says:

I had the privilege over the years to watch David grow from a 12 YO boy when I married his big sister, Diane, into a great man. He loved teaching teens the skills they needed to have a successful life after high school. He was so proud of his students and the youth he worked with at church. He was always happy, and he made those he was with happy also. Our daughters always loved being around their Uncle David. Our family and all those folks who loved David will miss him greatly.

15. Karen Rae Hogenboom says:

I am blessed to have been able to call Dave friend. He and I graduated from SHS in 1984. Please know that his family and students are in my prayers

Comments are closed.