Fatal Crash Closes Part Of Tunnel In Somerset County

ALLEGHENY TOWNSHIP (KDKA) – A deadly accident on the Turnpike has forced the closure of part of the Allegheny Tunnel tonight in Somerset County.

According to state police, a tractor-trailer and car collided on the eastbound side of the road near mile marker 124 in Allegheny Township around 11 p.m. Sunday night.

Officials say the accident did not happen inside the tunnel, but it closed down the eastbound side.

The tunnel reopened around 6:30 a.m. on Monday.

One person was killed and their identity has not been released at this time.

Stay with KDKA for the latest details.

Comments

1. Dangram says:

How much would you like to bet the trucker was speeding. I travel the pike alot and the trucks just fly. God forbid you get in their way! I think the state police should step it up in regard to truck speeding.

1. Pattie says:

Everyone is always ready to blame the truck driver and I can tell you most of the time is is the driver of the cars. I have been in the truck with my husband and have seen you car drivers do. They are the most careless drivers, I would rather drive with a caravan of truck drivers then the careless car and SUV drivers. Most company trucks are governed and can not go over 60 or 65 miles per hour. So I think you better think again before blaming the truck driver.

1. MAry says:

i said the same thing. My friend was one of the two semis that hit the young man.(he lost control and flipped his car) the truck drivers hit the vehicle. His truck has the governed thing on it.
        26, was driving eastbound on the turnpike in Allegheny Township around 10:40 p.m. when he lost control, hit an embankment and flipped his Acura onto its roof in the roadway, state police said.
        Two tractor-trailers then struck Rogers’ car, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
        No one else was injured in the wreck.

2. Mary Hale says:

Your wrong that company is ONLY to be at the speed of 60. and they can tell otherwise. so you are so wrong. I know the gentleman who was driving the truck and he is a very careful and diligent man and he does worry about the people around him. So do not assume he is your typical truck driver.

3. mary hale says:

Not only that his companies trucks have speed governer on it… So that is how i know he was not speeding. Ignorance. I just pray for all the people and family involved

4. Lisa says:

My heart aches for Dougs family… a REAL LOSS… so so sad!

5. Mary Hale says:

My heart and prayers goes out to his family

6. mary says:

No one else was injured in the wreck.

May God grant him internal life in heaven and his family support and love

7. ed says:

i was right behind when it happened and i drive a truck across there several times a week my truck is governed and i can tell you when you come out of tunnel and on those curves you cant speed in a truck.sharp turns and blind spots is what caused it

1. mary says:

glad you were not hurt.

2. Andrea says:

Could you please, PLEASE tell me what you saw? I need to know….I am trying to figure out what happened

8. Firefighter/EMT says:

instead of pointing blame on anyone, how about thinking of the families involved. Share for a moment the hurt and loss they feel at this time. Prayers and thoughts to everyone involved.

9. Alicia Nieman says:

This isn’t or shouldn’t be about placing blame. Tragic accidents happen all too often when things go wrong. This is a time or mourning for our family that now has to deal with the aftermath of the terrible tragedy. now is a time of sympathy so that all involved can find the strength to heal and carry on. God Bless

Comments are closed.