Green Bay Fan’s SUV Catches Fire On I-79

BRIDGEVILLE (KDKA) — It was a bad night for a local Green Bay Packers fan when his SUV caught fire as he was driving home.

“I saw just a bright flame on the ground,” said Dan George, of Washington, Pa. “It got brighter and brighter and that’s when I pulled off, put it in park and jumped out… the whole right side was on fire.”

Minutes later, Battalion Chief Ron Baselj of the Fairview Volunteer Fire Department estimated flames shot 20-ft. into the air.

Three lanes of traffic stopped on Interstate 79 South near Bridgeville, as fire crews worked to extinguish the flames. George was not hurt and was thankful his kids weren’t with him.

“Kind of scary,” George said.

But George, who is a Packers fan and was wearing his Green Bay jacket, joked about the reason for the fire.

“I’m thinking this jacket had something to do with that!” He said his Packers hat burned up in the fire.

Firefighters also teased him about his Cheesehead loyalty. “All in good fun!” said Baselj.

George, however, says this incident has not shaken his team spirit, and he expects Green Bay to win on Sunday.

Comments

1. Larry Randolph says:

let’s go packers!!!

2. Todd M says:

First and Foremost, glad your ok. The car can be replaced. On the lighter side, it’s sorta like what the beloved Steelers will do to the pack. Burn’em down baby…Burn’em down.

3. John Koval says:

So did they make him walk home?

4. Randy says:

Why do opposition teams keep insisting on disrespecting the Towel? The team, the fans, the city… all pay the price in bad luck. Try your.best to beat our Steelers, but don’t bring Myron’s wrath down on yourselves. don’t dis da Towel.

1. FixPGH says:

They dis the towel because it’s a unique thing. Don’t get your panties in a bunch over it. It’s called rivlary – it’s been going on for a while so just take care of your towel and let them make fun all they want. Pittsburgh makes fun of other teams too, get off your high-horse.

5. STLRLVR says:

Sounds lke you are the one with your panties in a bunch, FixPGH. It’s a joke.

6. ven says:

So once they saw the jacket, did they put away the hoses and break out the hot dogs?

7. kat says:

I hope he is okay, I am a huge Steelers fan, I love my Black and Gold but I certainly hope this man’s life was not put in danger because of a football game. A little football rivalry is a good thing but I hope our Pittsburgh fan’s would have enough respect for people to keep it safe. God bless our Steelers!!

8. mellvis says:

Haven’t yinz ever heard this story?

Tom Brady, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Patriots flag in the window. “This house is yours for eternity, Tom,” said God. “This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here.” Tom felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house.

On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the corner. It was a 3-story mansion with BLACK & GOLD sidewalk, a 50-foot tall flagpole with an enormous STEELERS logo flag, and in every window, a TERRIBLE towel or the number 7. Tom looked at God and said “God, I’m not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I hold many NFL records, and I even won a few Super Bowls.” God said “So what’s your point, Tom?” “Well, why does Roethlisberger get a better house than me?” God chuckled, and said: “Tom, that’s not Roethlisberger’s house, it’s Mine.”

9. SMR says:

I just moved to Pittsburgh about a week ago and have come to learn that people here are fanatics when It comes to their home teams. I am not a big fan of sports, but do have some favorite teams which makes it fun to watch with friends. Needless to say the Steelers are not one of my favorite teams and it terrifies me to think that I have moved to a place where my life could possibly be in danger because of it. I just hope that is not the case. I am just glad that this gentleman was not injured and am certainly glad that his children were not with him. If steelers fans were responsible for this heinous act it disgusts me, and makes me rethink my decision to move here. I mean is the love of a team worth more than someone’s life?

1. JAUN says:

SMR, GET A LIFE. HOW WOULD SOME ONE START A FIRE IN SOME ONES CAR AS THEY ARE DRIVING 65 MPH ON RT 79. PITTSBURGH DOESNT WANT HATERS LIKE YOUR SELF.THE STORY WAS DONE IN JEST AND YOUR BRAIN CANT COMPREHEND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A NEWS STORY AND A LIGHT HEARTED WHIM AT TRYING TO BE FUNNY. YOU SOUND LIKE YOUR FROM OHIO.YOUR IQ GAVE IT AWAY.

10. NP says:

@SMR

I don’t think that any Steelers fans were responsible for this man’s car catching on fire, although it would make an interesting insurance claim. There are some fans that take it way too seriously, however I don’t think that they would sabotage someones car.

11. SMR says:

@NP
    Thank you for you considerate response. It is appreciated that you did not respond yelling at me, calling me a hater, and saying the Pittsburgh doesn’t want me here. I assure you I am not a hater. When you are new to a place and hear things like this and you hear from other people not to cross Steelers fans, it can be a little off putting. I just hope this is a safe place to raise my children, and I’m sure that it is.

12. william says:

Damn I am kinda mad he did not get hurt in the fire fir wearing a green bay jacket

13. Diane Bastian says:

While people in Pittsburgh are a little fanatical about their sports teams, your children and you are quite safe. After all we were voted most livable city twice. Just don’t go into a bar on a Sunday while a Steelers game is going on and antagonize anyone. If you are rooting for another team, stay home. Alcohol and disloyalty to the black and gold don’t mix well.

14. Chris says:

Pittsburgh is nothing compared to New York City and some of the bigger sports market fans where I have witnessed little kids and even older women get drinks spilled on them by “grown” fans…. The worst thing you get here is maybe some friendly taunting, but its up to the person taking the taunting if he/she can handle it… this happens everywhere you go! If you want to root for an opposing team you have to learn how to be taunted, thats just the way sports is these days. But Pittsburgh is very respectful for the most part. But you never know when you might run into a bad seed thats too intoxicated.

15. Ricky Dean says:

I know the guy driving this car and he is a fruitcake. He goes weeks without changing his underwear.

1. SMR says:

Well if that’s the case, maybe that’s what started the fire, lol?🙂

16. Fun Man says:

I used to play baseball in high school with Dan George. He is hung like Rick Mahorn.

1. SMR says:

I don’t understand what you are talking about. I googled Rick Mahorn and he is a basketball player, not a baseball player. Please explain

17. Big Judy says:

I spent a night with Dan back in college and I am still limping…that was 17 years ago. Dan was the sweetest guy I ever met. Dan if you are reading this please look me up on Facebook. I’m single!!!! XOXO Judy

1. SMR says:

You got problems if you want to date a Packer’s fan!

Comments are closed.