Hill District Baby’s Death Appears Accidental

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Police say the death of a 5-month-old baby in the Hill District appears to have been an accident.

Autopsy results for Zyian Johnson are pending, but the baby may have been suffocated by a blanket.

The mother had gone to sleep with the baby on a couch – a situation warned about in a video on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

The Cribs For Kids program says baby sleep safety is as easy as ABC. Have the baby sleep alone on its back in a crib.

Of the 20 infants who died in their crib in Allegheny County last year, 19 of them were not following those rules.

A disproportionate number of sudden infant deaths happen to African American babies.

“And so I think as we talk about it, as we get the messages out through the community, through the churches, through different organizations, parents will begin to hear that message and understand it – it could happen to their baby any day, any time,” the Rev. Brenda Gregg, with Greater Allen AME Church, said.

Comments

1. Susan says:

My heart goes out to the mother and father and the family. SIDS is so hard to live with when you lose a baby to it. It happened in my my family several years ago. I almost lost my 17 y.o. son to it, I caught him going into hypothermia as a preemie and he would of died in his sleep, that is what the doctors explained to me and it would of been a SIDS death..

1. Christina says:

Thank you Susan I am Chrisitna Zyians mother I appreciate you reaching out and sharing your story it is an difficult situation I had been over a friends home and fell asleep Zyian has a bed of her own that she slpet in @ my home it was a tragic and unexpected accident and is hard but I am doing better than expected with the help and support of so many loved ones : )

2. I love this city says:

Wow. Do they really have to teach people where to put a baby to sleep?!

1. Christina Zyians mommy says:

Hi Im the mother of the baby and uyes it is serious they did teach me and I ddid sign the papers but I wasnt @ home when this occured we were over a friends home and I fell asleep on the couch she has her own bed at my home and I did obey the SIDS rules in my own home things happen that we cant change I was very responsible I have a 5 year old and was a young mother when she was an infant so it wasnt new to me it just was her time God needed another Angel!!!

3. Sara Sams says:

Your comment has nothing to do with this story.

4. Sara Sams says:

Peter this story was for a baby girl who died. Not the freaking Steelers.

1. truth says:

nobody wants to hear about black people killing black people anymore….really its not even news it happens everyday

1. Christina Zyians mommy says:

Im Zyians mommy what does that have to do with anything it was an accident?????? I was over a friend home and fell asleep on her couch not my home or couch???? What do you mean it happens evryday did you even pay attention to what the news reporter said ACCIDENTAL did you see m,y friend speak on my behalf GOOOD MOMMY RESPONCIBLE TAKES CARE OF CHILDREN AND HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Fred says:

I am Batman

6. Sharon says:

My prayers are with the members of this beautiful little angel girl’s family. May God be with you over the next hours, days, months and years.

1. Christina Zyians mommy says:

Thank you Sharon truly appreciated!!!!

7. Stairway to 7 says:

FEAR THE BEARD

8. concerned says:

Hey Truth; from this white person, we do want to hear. That beautiful baby should not be dead. Lets educate all parents. This does not need to happen.

1. Christina The perfect mommy to Zyian says:

CTFU I AM THE MOTHER OF BEAUTIFUL ZYIAN AND I NEVER KNEW A BOOKLET OR PAMFET CAN TELL YOU HOW TO MOTHER OR COMFORT A CHILD>>>>FIRST OFF THE INCIDENT DIDNT TAKE PLACE IN MY OWN HOME MY CHILD HAS A BED BOUNCER CAR SEAT AND MORE IT WAS AN ACCIDENT GOD NEEDED ANOTHER ANGEL BY HIS SIDE IM A RELIGIOUS PERSON AND I BELIEVE THAT WAS IN MY PLANS SO BEFORE YOU PASS JUDGEMENT KNOW WAT ITS LIKE TO BE A BLACK MOTHER OKAY I DIDNT HAVE THE COMFORT OF A MOTHER GROWING UP SO YES I HELD HER HUGGED HER KISSED HER ALL HOURS OF THE DAY WE WENT TO SLEEP CUDDLN I LOVED HER EVERY MIN I DID NUTHN WRONG BUT GAVE HER !!00% LOVE WAT MOST YOUNG MOMS NO NUTHN ABOUT MY BABY PASSED FEELN THE LOVE I KISSED HER 100 TIMES THAT NITE I DNT NEED YOUR IGNORANT COMMENTS TO KNOW WAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE GET A LIFE I BET YOU GOTT 1000 0000 problems than to be worried about what goin on with me and mine thank you but no thanx!!!

1. Zyians mommy says:

Error 1000000000% love dont want some one to take the !!00% and run with it

9. Jenee Townes says:

Hey Truth, to make a comment like you did you must be a racist. I hope if you have children you are not raising them to be like you…. Such a good role model. This is a very sad situation for any race. No one wants to bury their child. I would be wrong if I said WHITE people kill cops and innocent individuals. Just happened! You need help….God don’t like ugly………

1. Zyians mommy says:

Rasist as hell!!!!! Cant fit the shoes I walk in but want to commit I pay that no mind say wat they want!!!!

10. JAUN says:

WHY WOULD ANY ONE SLEEP ON A COUCH WITH A YOUNG INFANT? HIGH ON DRUGS OR CRACK MAYBE. SHE CRUSHED THE BREATH OUT OF THAT LITTLE BABY. THIS WAS NO ACCIDENT.

1. Zyians mommy says:

1st off I wasnt home at was at a friends house 2nd how do you know what happend are u an Medical Examiner that investigated the situation????? I fell asleep hugging and kissing and comforting her for ur nebby ass information and I loved every moment we spent together day and nite you couldnt walk a mile in my shoes if you tried so keep ya dirty ass comment to yourself why would you even open your mouth to ask why i slept on the couch who said it was against the Law???? When your a good mother or parent thats what we do i dont give a damn if we slept on sement I showed her I cared by meeting her needs soothing her would you know about this abviously not????????

11. LOVIN ME says:

TO JAUN!!!! WOW SO JUDGEMENTAL AND DNT EVEN KNOW WHO ARE GOD I THINK NOT U WILL HAVE UR JUDGEMENT DAY! THIS WAS/IS A WONDERFUL MOM WHO LOVED N CHERISHED HER 2 BEAUTIFUL KIDS NO DRUGS @ ALL WAS INVOLVED JUST A MOTHER SOOTHING HER BABY 2 SLEEP AND FELL ASLEEP WITH HER!!!!YOU OUGHTA BE A SHAME OF YOURSELF SHE JUST LOST HER BABY N THAT’S WHAT U GOT 2 SAY!!!I’m GOIN 2 PRAY 4 U!!!R.I.P ZYIAN SWEET ANGEL

1. Zyians mommy proud to say says:

Thank you YES WHEN GOD ITS TIME ITS TIME!!!!!! WOULD IT HAD BEEN BETER IF THE HEAD LINES READ INFANT SHOT AND KILLED WHILE IN MOTHERS ARMS WALKN DOWN THE STREETS OF THE HILL DISTRICT????? GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR CRITISM JUAN!!!! MR KNOW IT ALL!!!! IM NOT HAPPY MY CHILD IS GONE ONE BIT BUT IM PROUD TO SAY SHE LEFT THIS EARTH IN PEACE ANDSHE KNOOOOOOWS WITH OUT A DOUBT SHE WAS A LOVE CHILD!!!!! I wonder what comment you would have left then…She shoulda not beeen walkn down the street why wasnt the baby in a stroller shut up u just want to sound important well your not my daughter is the topic you dont even know whats going on ………thanx LOVN ME and Im lovn you for standing up for me!!!!!!

12. LOVIN ME says:

PLEASE KEEP THIS FAMILY IN YOUR PRAYERS

1. Proud to be Zyians mommy says:

Thank you!!!!!!

13. Sequoia Campbell says:

smh im reading these comments and im really hurt by some of the comments im reading some ppl r so cruel christina (the mother of zhyian) happens to b one of my best friends and anyone who knows her knows she is a beautiful person inside and out n if she aint notthing else she is a damn good mother to her kids she loved zyian with all her heart i knew zyian personally n im here to say she was a HAPPY baby always smiling this was an accident and if u dont know someone u shouldnt judge them u are not in her shoes ur on the outside looking in u have a totally different view i would tell u to walk n her shoes and then put ur negative input in but i wouldnt dear wish da pain tine is feeling on my worse enemy so with that being sad im going to pray for some of u guys n continue being the shoulder my friend need to lean on til the day we reunite with zyian!! ily all

1. Beautiful Zyians Mommy Chritina proud to say says:

Thank you Silky so much thats why I love my friends they are the reason I am the brite beautiful smart great mother I am they remind me evryday of how good I do raising my kids they remind me of the smile thats kept upon my face even on stormy nites like this the death of my beautiful baby Im strong always have always will be dont need noone to pass judgement and make me feel bad cuz you cant cant tell me nuthn I does a hell of a job day and nite I was doing my job that not yall arguments arent strong enough I got this Sequoia Gods goin handle this he has my hand and has my child by his side R.W.G Zyian Praise Johnson my sweet Angel!!!!!

14. Stacey Bogle says:

Christina,
    first of all I am SO VERY SORRY for the loss of your beautiful Zyian. I do know your pain. My son Jaleel died to a bed sharing accident in 2006. We just celebrated his 5th birthday in Heaven in May. He accidentally suffocated too!
    Please do not let these ignorant people get to you. They do not know what happened they weren’t there! They didn’t have to wake up to their lifeless baby and they don’t have to live with the guilt the way we do. Ppl like to think we did something wrong because if they had to admit this happens countless times to good parents then they would have to admit it could happen to THEM too. If you ever want to talk you can email me at sbogle81@gmail.com.
    Now I raise awareness on the dangers of bed sharing and how to create a safe sleep environment and have met women just like us who thought we were doing the best for our baby. Look us up on fb our fan page is called ‘Parents Against Co-Sleeping” or our group page “PAUSE (Parents Against Unsafe Sleep Environments”
    ~Stacey

15. ~Hadleys Mommy~ says:

Im ashamed that people walk this earth and would talk to a grieving mother like that…w/o having read the story but seeing a piece posted…first thing outta my mouth…was ….she only snuggled her baby because she loved her so much….who in a million years would think that would happen…and here this poor woman is trying to defend herself when she shouldnt! you people should learn to show some empathy! this isnt a blame fest! its a…we will pray for you…your heart…your family….baby Z is in heaven with God… she is playing w/ jaleel…and wyatt…and kolton…and another wyatt…and two twin baby girls! and all these babies i mentioned had something in common….they were loved to the moon and back….and everything was done for them b/c it was what was best for them….christina~ my heart goes out for you…your family… your baby left this world ina way many wish they’d go…being held by the one who loves them the most…and feeling it…ignore peoples ignorance…you are a great mother

16. ~Hadleys Mommy~ says:

Btw…..parents against co-sleeping….wonderful page….. ive not been in the situation but it opened my eyes… stacey bogle is truly wonderful on there…and i celebrated her sons 5th angel birthday…allong with a few other babies since then… look them up…it will not fix your pain…but im sure the women there can ease you from day to day ~chelsea longest~ aka….hadleys mommy

17. Sara Tamburrino says:

Christina, I am also so sorry for the negative comments you have gotten here. I along with many others had my son die of SIDS 18 years ago. I had him in bed with me not because I was drunk or high, but because I thought it was best for him. I have lived with this as more information has come out, but now I work for a SIDS organization and spend alot of my time teaching Safe Sleep information. I agree with all that Stacey said above.
    Carl’s Mom, Sara

18. Sara Tamburrino says:

@

19. trinity woods says:

Christina I am so sorry for your loss of beautiful Zyian, I lost my grandaughter 9mths ago to positional asphxia….she was 5mths old. And I know my daughter was a wonderful mother just as yourself. People are ignorant and love to speak on things they dont have any experience in. Don’t let those people get you down….and take a look at the pages on facebook…..they are great….Stacey does a wonderful job.

20. angie hall says:

Wow, how awful some of you are. Why would you assume she was high because she fell asleep on a couch with her baby? there is not a SINGLE mother/ father ALIVE that is not guilty of accidently dozing off with their baby.. actually breastfeeding moms do it alot because a chemical is realeased to relax both mother and baby. My son Gavin, almost died at 3 months. He was in his crib, when it happened, and the only reason he is alive today is because he had a hospital grade monitor (due to just having rsv) and i know infant cpr. i am still not ok, so i can not imagine that this beautiful baby’s mama is ok, or ready to have to deal with such ignorant ppl making such ignorant comments. Christina, i am so sorry for your loss. God did indeed get another beautiful angel when he took her… my prayers go out to you!

21. jonah scott says:

project gavin, parents against co-sleeping, help raise sids awareness, cribs for kids are all fb pages that you could look at

22. Renea McCleskey *Jaxin's Grandma* says:

Christina,

My heart goes out to you and your family. Although it has been almost 5 months since your baby died, I know that you are still feeling the loss and pain. My grandson Jaxin died as the result of a bedsharing accident. He was smothered when his father rolled on him. Jaxin was 4 1/2 months old. In his short life he made such an impact on all who came in contact with him. I believe as you do, God had a plan and the babies’ deaths were a part of that plan. Although we don’t know the reason we have faith that there is a reason. Since Jaxin’s death my daughter and I have decided to share Jaxin’s story with all who will listen to try to spare another family the pain of this type of loss. I hope that you have ignored the ignorance of some of the posts. And I hope that you find comfort from some of the special people who have commented. My daughter and I both belong to the page, PAUSE. Many wonderful people who have experienced this type of tragedy. I helps to talk to people who really understand. God Bless You!

23. cyn price says:

Christina, May God bless you and your family through this difficult time. We buried my 21/2 month grandson last year because his father was high on drugs (DCF test the father for drugs)and passed out on him My daughter is a wonderful mother giving the father visitation time, and we are still trying to get justice, It does not matter what color you are, we were all made in Gods image Infant death happens a lot yes, years ago you didn’t hear about it so much, why I don’t know, It is my goal to pass the Hayden Law to separate accidental infant deaths from negligent infant deaths My heart really goes out to you May God bless and keep you You can find out more about the Hayden Law @ justice for hayden on facebook
    Cindi