Girl, 4, Dies In Washington Co. Crash

ROBINSON TOWNSHIP (KDKA) – A Washington County crash claimed the life of a 4-year-old girl Friday night.

According to police, the accident happened on Route 22 at the Bavington Exit in Robinson Township around 11:50 p.m.

Jennifer Ruttinger, 32, lost control of her 2003 Ford Explorer causing it to flip several times. She was transported to Allegheny General Hospital with major injuries.

Rylie Ruttinger, 4, was ejected from the vehicle. She was taken to Children’s Hospital and was pronounced dead around 1:30 a.m.

A 6-year-old girl was also inside the vehicle and suffered moderate injuries. She was also taken to Children’s Hospital.

Both children were in child safety seats.

According to a press release from the Pennsylvania State Police, the accident has been classified as a DUI. The crash investigation is still ongoing, but charges are pending.

“We think that alcohol might have been involved,” said Trooper Robin Mungo, of the Pennsylvania State Police. “We’re pretty sure that alcohol was involved.”

The Washington County District Attorney will decide what charges will be filed.

The westbound lanes were reopened around 4:30 a.m.

Stay With KDKA.com For More Details

Comments

1. Ace Slick says:

The other news site state that “this appears to be DUI”.

1. Dave says:

I certainly hope that’s not the case. It’s sad enough that a 4yo lost her life. I hope it was just an accident and not DUI negligence….

1. vincy says:

as per the first responders i talkeshe was definitel dui.

2. liz says:

If this is a DUI I assure you the woman driving the car will not be spared and I hope she is not. What the Hell is wrong with people. She will live with her demons and should. Shame on her…Hope she gets put sway for life….Alcohol kills families and in this beautiful a little angel…

1. AS says:

I am disgusted with all the people who are writing such hateful comments about this woman! Do any of you have half a brain?…do you not realize that there are 2 surviving children and one of which is a young teenager? I am sure she will find this article and read some of these horrible comments. How do you think she will feel reading that all these people want her mother to die and be tortured for the rest of her life? No matter what happened that woman is her mother whom she loves dearly! How about some of you read your comments again, but instead of it being about someone you don’t even know think that it is someone else saying those EXACT words about YOUR mother! Does it make you feel good knowing that YOUR words will hurt this young girl beyond belief?! Her mother made a horrible choice that resulted in a tragic accident, there is no denying it, but who gives anyone the right to say such horrible things about someone you don’t know. What gives you the right to hurt a family that is already in so much pain?! The sad thing is you won’t even care that you have hurt anyone else with your words…I pray the two girls never read this crao

2. taylor says:

wow i know jen and she is never like that she loves her daughters and would never do ANYTHING to hurt them! so all you people you can just stop! so just shut up

3. Pop says:

Do you even know this family!? Youll die with your demons in HELL!

2. gordie macIvor says:

things happen for a reason,and the majority of times it’s beyond comprehension,but this is a fact;God has called Riley to come home.He needs her,and her smile to brighten this dark world.

1. Dave says:

Are you kidding me?? A supposedly all-powerful diety NEEDS THE SMILE OF A CHILD – a dead one, at that – to “brighten this dark world.” How on earth does that work? When a god is morose, he just kills some kids to cheer himself up? That is a disgusting sentiment, and the lack of rational thought behind it is just sad.

1. Brittany Hovancik says:

People have their belifes. Most of the time it’s just to help deal with really bad things. Riley was such a cute little girl and everyone should just remember her that way.

2. JIm says:

You my friend are a wacko.

1. Brittany Hovancik says:

“You my friend are crazy and just plain old rude for saying that.”

3. Angel says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends. If you don’t have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all!!!!!!

4. Eddie Yount says:

what is she doing out at 130 am with 2 kids anyway?

5. RT says:

Hello the accident happened at 11:50 not 1:30 and does it really matter the time. Its a shame the comments some of you leave when an innocent little girl lost her life. My thoughts and prayer go out to the family.

6. Heavy heart says:

There were a lot of people helping. I pray the mom and other baby are ok! I pray god embraces this family!

1. falcon says:

i was also there an image i will never forget my prayers are out there for Rylie and the family. Also thanks to the other lady (Heavy heart) who was there with me God Bless You

2. choose real life not fiction says:

how about instead of praying to a fictional being….PERSONALLY go and help stop these kinds of accidents from happening in any way one can, instead of going to a church and praying ( doing nothing).

1. Schaeffmama says:

I guess you’ve never had a tragic moment and said “Oh my God!”

This country was founded on Christian principles. I’ve fought defending these Christian principles. If you don’t like “In God we trust”, then leave. You won’t be missed.

In times of strife, people need something to believe in. If you believe there’s a way to prevent every tragedy, then lead the way. Prove to me through your scientific ways that you can stop all accidents from happening. In the meantime, I’ll continue to keep my faith and instill morals into my children and pray for this family.

2. agreeing says:

its very close actually. a system is being devloped right now that detects blood alchohol levels through door handle and steering wheel sensors. so yes ill look to science first.

3. Schaeffmama says:

Drive on with your science. But, think they’ll ever come up with a texting while driving pre test for drivers? Some sort of fingerprint assumption that the driver wil be texting while driving? Because, that is the up and coming major cause of fatal accidents. Then what? How is science going to prevent those accidents?

Science is limited. Faith is not.

4. Daniel says:

Actually faith is simply a belief. Reason is a fact.

5. here you go again. says:

they are developing that now also, it uses gps to guage how fast the phone is going and turns off certain features such as texting but enables hand free calling. just a FACT. its in its begining stages but looks promising. look it up online.

6. to schaeffmama says:

sounds like you would be better off living in the 1500 to 1700’s

7. Jeff says:

Wow! Just when I thought the comments on here could not possibly get any DUMBER! I guess they invented cell phones in the early 1800s. You are such an idiot.

8. to jeff says:

hey moron jeff. it was regarding her old age thinking not about cell phones…read before you comment idiot.

9. Jeff says:

I did read it dummy. I bet youre one of the idiots that text when you drive huh. Maybe if more of you punk kids would think like the so called old age thinkers this country would be much better off.

10. FixPGH says:

Jeff, I have seen MANY older and even elderly people text/talking while driving. Worse than anything it’s new technology to them so they are not as savvy with it and are even more prone to not pay attention to the road because they have to think real hard to figure the gadget out.

11. Jeff says:

Well hey, Knock yourself out and text away. Ill be sure to read about you in the paper.

12. to jeff again says:

you cant be more wrong. im in the ems and fire side of this. safety all the way jeff. i embrace new age tech and thinking but alos listento the sane old age ideas.

13. Jeff says:

Please learn to spell before replying to my comment. So you are saying its safe to text and drive at the same time. Well if thats how you think and others think the same way, then being you are such a treasure to the community because you are in the ems and fire side as you put it, then you are going to have your work cut out for you because if people are that STUPID to text and drive they deserve to wreck. Its just a shame that they will injure someone who actually is trying to keep their eyes and attention on the road. Case closed!

14. to jeffy poo says:

15. TO FIRE SIDE says:

For someone who is in such a profession, you shore are childish. You are just another one who could never survive without the technology and I do see the sarcasm with the way you spell and hopefully you don’t treat your patients that way. I can see they picked the right person for the job. Grow up.

16. FixPGH says:

Haha commenter “TO FIRE SIDE:” Don’t talk about spelling when you are making “sure” into “shore.”

17. To firefly says:

Ok. Since you are not to quick and kind of slow, I’ll try again, but this time I will type it so even you will understand it,ok? I hop mi spewling abuv helps mak it ezer to reed and understand. Meening I spewled sure wich is tha praper way to spewl the wird, but I yuzed shore so you coold understand it. I gess yu ar not very quik to pik up on sarkazm. I guess I’m having a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I really shooldnt be making fun of an uneducated purson.

18. To FixPGH says:

This comment above is for you too dip.

19. to fire side says:

I hope my spelling above helps makes it easier to read and understand. Have a great day fire fly.

20. NotJeff says:

Twice you typed “its” when the word is “it’s”. If you’re going to start your comment with “learn to spell”….well really, then you should learn to spell. Yes, I make typos as well…but I’m not dumb enough to do it while calling others out.

21. FixPGH says:

Science can’t stop accidents – WE have to stop accidents. WE have to STOP texting while driving, not become better at it.

22. Daniel says:

Just a note here, you can worship God without being a Christian or going to church and giving your money to a preacher. And quite a few of our Founding Fathers were not Christian….nor Muslim or Jewish.

23. The Real Thing says:

Atheists do not have a clue! Fictional being? Is GOD the same as the tooth fairy? The MAJORITY of people with Faith throughout the world (not just Christians) believe in a higher power. YOU who can sit and mock GOD, are in the EXTREME majority. (Which usually means you are an outcast and a weirdo). Only the non-believers are lost, wandering through a sea of hopelessness trying to understand how people (such as this devestated family) can pull through a tragic event like this. It’s due to their faith. I hope GOD is watching over this family, and providing some sort of comfort. I can’t imagine what the father of these kids is going through. We should all pray for them. (And we should pray for the non-believers to go to church, or read a bible, and learn something!)

24. Daniel says:

Please look up the difference of being an Atheist and being a Deist. Two totally different things. We Deists do believe in God, we simply know that no one truly knows who God is or what God is. We reject organized religion, not God. And we respect others right to worship as they choose as others should respect ours. Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson were Deists.

25. lovesorchids says:

Whoah….good luck with that outlook. You know, faith, meditation, prayer, whatever you want to call it, has gotten a lot of people through a lot of horrific things in life. Families, cities, countries, have pulled together and rebuilt through terrible times by pulling together and ‘doing nothing’, as you say. You can believe (or not believe) in whatever you want, Buddy, but a little tolerance goes a long way.

7. Judy says:

Such a sad tragedy for this family, No finger pointing or accusing, please take that time to pray for the mother and the other daughter, they need our prayers right now. For you Heavy Heart, Bless you for being there for them at their time of need.Also, there may be a time where you may need counseling, get it. May God be with them during their time of healing and recovery. God Bless them and the family.

8. Bea says:

The State Police are reporting alcohol definitely played a role in this accident. As tragic as it is, don’t down play it. If it stops the next mother, father, whoever, from driving their children when drinking, knowing this outcome, or they wake up this morning & think it could have been them, it will at least mean something. No one thinks it will happen to them, but this shows it can.

9. castnbash says:

R.I.P. thoughts and prayers to the family

10. erica says:

Who in the hell drives drunk with their children???As tragic as it is,a responsible 32 year old mother wouldn’t do that.It was a preventable accident,so I guess that makes it karma.This “parent” needs a 12 step program.Hopefully losing her child will put some things in perspective for her.

1. Michelle says:

Shame on you! WHO are you to judge anyone! Do you have any COMPASSION? I am amazed and outraged… My prayers go out to EVERYONE in this family. They need everyone’s prayers. God please help them!

1. Jon says:

Hey Michelle, can I ask what you think “God” will do to help this family??

2. Brittany Hovancik says:

Hey Jon, peole have their belifes and if they think god is going to help then god is going to help.

3. a says:

No one is judging, the Plain Truth is she was DUI with kids in her car. Thoughts and prayers and other “warm fuzzies” may make YOU feel better, but unless this mom wants have her other taken away, she seriously needs to address her problem and go through rehab, not prayer group. Yes, her drinking is a serious problem if she HAS to drink while her children are in her care.

1. Dub says:

Hey Jon, as you say “God” well he will embrace this family for getting through the hard times and showing they can rise above all the low lifes like you, who wouldnt be able to handle this kind of situation!

2. AS says:

I am disgusted with all the people who are writing such hateful comments about this woman! Do any of you have half a brain?…do you not realize that there are 2 surviving children and one of which is a young teenager? I am sure she will find this article and read some of these horrible comments. How do you think she will feel reading that all these people want her mother to die and be tortured for the rest of her life? No matter what happened that woman is her mother whom she loves dearly! How about some of you read your comments again, but instead of it being about someone you don’t even know think that it is someone else saying those EXACT words about YOUR mother! Does it make you feel good knowing that YOUR words will hurt this young girl beyond belief?! Her mother made a horrible choice that resulted in a tragic accident, there is no denying it, but who gives anyone the right to say such horrible things about someone you don’t know. What gives you the right to hurt a family that is already in so much pain?! The sad thing is that most of you won’t even care that you have hurt anyone else with your words…I hope the children never read your comment

1. Dan says:

I am sure she will also read the obituary of her sister. How do you think she will feel reading that?

11. Shields188 says:

Why would you assume that this was a DUI? What if the parent worked a 16 or 24 hour shift at a nursing home or a EMS agency? The evidence in sleep deprived ppl are that of a person who has consumed a couple of drinks. O r maybe she was taking and over the counter med to combat the common cold.
    I am not sure what happened because I was not there but it is sad for all involved.

1. lovesorchids says:

No one is ASSUMING it was a DUI–the State Police press release states it in the story above.

And yes, it is VERY sad.

12. Andrea Burns says:

Rylie was a precious little girl..This is so very sad.

13. erica says:

Since she’s facing DUI and homicide charges one would assume she was driving drunk or high………

1. Michelle says:

Hey ERICA…how about keeping your comments to yourself! The rest of us who have compassion and do not need to judge others are tired of hearing from you….we rather FOCUS our energies on prayers!!!! As I said Shame on you!

14. Darby says:

I understand in every “NEWS STORY” they try to bring out the GARBAGE on each person to get ppl to read it but….. this is truly going to hurt alot of people ! Try to understand she was someones daughter, grand-daughter, and will be loved and missed by all involved. What-ever happened, pray for the family, and let GOD handle the rest !!! Good – bye Rylie and GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY !!!

15. Daniel says:

If this is a DUI lock her up for life!

16. Darby says:

WHY DON’T YOU NON-CARING IDOTS KEEP YOUR WANNA BE COMMETS TO YOURSELF !!! YOU MUST HAVE A PRETTY BAD LIFE OR YOU WOULD NOT BE SITTING THERE BASHING OTHER PEOPLE WHO JUST HAD THEIR LIFE TORN TO PEICES !!! GROW UP AND TRY TO PUT SOME LOVE IN YOUR HEART FOR A FAMILY WHO IS IN NEED OF PRAYERS AND SUPPORT !!!!!!!!!

1. jim says:

Spell check is your friend.

17. Daniel says:

I only know what I read, but if this is a case of DUI then this woman killed her child. That is a simple fact

18. Lisa M. White says:

please get some counseling! I don’t know you, but I’m worried about your wellbeing too after witnessing this. God bless you for helping

19. Darby says:

Do you think your comments stop the ‘drinking noooo ‘, how about the ‘drugs ‘noooo soo …why have fun degrading someone else who is hurting ? If this is a dui related case are you the JUDGE nooo so why not just pray for her and her family? Go to school, get the degree pass your boards THEN YOU MAY PASS JUDGEMENT on someone else.

20. bettygerbil says:

as being a member of my family my brother was killed by a drunk driver 12 -6 -09 still no trial yet but this man is looking at 2 years top for killing my brother maybe with the super bowl partys tomorrow people should think about this story and be a little more careful driving tomorrow or have other people to drive them as a sober driver . if the mother was drunk she will pay dearly by god and her mental problems this 4 year old was called to do something greater for the power of god that knows why these things happen the whole family and bystanders will need help to deal with this tragic accident as all my family have had to do with losing my brother and my only sibling . think before you drink this could easily be u or one of your family members mother father brother sister child wife husband

1. Michelle says:

God Bless you and your family Betty…Prayers are with you!

21. CONSEQUENCES says:

We the people are the backbone of all laws and we do take exception to criminal acts that lead to someone’s death. You all would pass judgement if a career criminal drove drunk and hit a 4 year old girl. This mother should not get a “pass”. Her family and friends can still love her and even forgive her. As an outsider, an american observer, I think that this was a tragedy that could have been prevented and the actor is a criminal. She may be someones daughter or friend and she may even be a great person, but she made a horrible mistake, one that has both legal and social consequences. People should be outgraged and angry. i would be more concerned if they were not. Her family and friends need to accept that the mother if “drunk” is a criminal and is responsible for this act. I do feel for all. Obviously there are many victims in these cases.

If you find these comments as degrading to the mother then please leave a comment. Degrading? Please accept the truth. . . it hurts sometimes. There are many parents that have headed home after having a couple of drinks. . . maybe we all should think twice.

22. Jennifer says:

Everyone, this little girl who lost her life was a child my sister tracy has baby sat since her and her older sister (the one who is in critical condition) were babys. My sister is devestated and by the side of the other little girl who is on Childrens Hosp. These two girls were part of our family since they were born and like my sisters own children..Please pray for Harley to get better and for my sister who I know will be by her side till she is well Thank you and God Bless

1. allison says:

I am so sorry for your loss. I have tears in my eyes as i write this and I dont even know any of you. I have 3 and 6 year old little girls and cant imagine if one lost the other. I will pray for your family for little ‘Harley and her moomy too.

2. Erin Taylor says:

jennifer i love your commment the most its so right and i love thoses girls harley and riley.

2-4-11
      forever ❤ riley<3

23. brent says:

DUI i bet

24. Daniel says:

Yea, let’s pray that God embraces the other child and pray that the arms of a prison embrace the Mother when she recovers.

1. God Bless says:

May you be blessed that you stay as perfect as you are, life stays so simple for you and that you may judge people always! Oh yes, God will embrace Riley already has… hope that he will embrace you with the ability to forgive and only judge yourself! AMEN!

1. Brittany Hovancik says:

I AGREE. No one is perfuct people make mistakes but Jen was always a good mother to her kids and still will be for her other two daughters.

25. erica says:

Good parents that love,cherish and protect,parents that care about children that are not their own,parents that do everything in the best interest of their children are allowed to judge a woman like this.She murdered her own daughter with a 2 ton weapon when she decided to get behind the wheel intoxicated.This is just another disgusting case of child abuse like we hear about everyday.I can lay my head down at night knowing that I didn’t murder my child because of my poor decisions.I think her guilt may be justification enough.

1. God Bless says:

2. Jon says:

Erica, I am glad to see someone in here with common sense..Everything you say is 100% true, she is a murderer, plain and simple..Why people cant comprehend this is beyond me…Kids are supposed to be protected by their parents not murdered…But you have all the religious wackos in here asking for prayer, like that is going to do any good.

1. Daniel says:

I 100% agree with Jon. All the prayer on Earth will not bring this child back. The only thing that can prevent accidents like this would be to not drink in the first place. There is a darn good reason as to why several of this country’s founding Fathers practiced Deism. Have a great day….

2. Jeff says:

Have you ever driven drunk? Im not talkin smashed drunk, Im talkin a few beers with a .08 BAC or more. If you have or anyone else has on here You are all hypocrites. I guess its ok to drive drunk if you dont have a child in the car. Doesnt matter if theres a child in the car or not, nobody should drive wil DUI and those on here who have and put accusing comments on here should really look at themselves. Its not ok to do just because you havent gotten caught or killed anyone.

3. Brittany Hovancik says:

NO all the pryers couldn’t bring back Riley. But they could help the other family members get through this.

4. Dub says:

Isnt a murder someone who does it on purpose and plans for this type of thing to happen? i think all of you should mind your own business and if your going to do anything, anything at all you should pray for this family. I hope all of you feel awful for your hateful comments. there is a teenager out there 14 years of age thatt will see all of these comments and feel so much hatred towards you! so shame on all of you. rylie would be so ashamed that people are hating her mother so much!

26. Schaeffmama says:

My prayers and love are with all involved. The family, the witnesses and bystanders, the friends and babysitter and, yes, even the Mom. What may have been a preventable accident, wasn’t prevented. Regardless of whether or not alcohol played a part, this Mom has already “convicted” herself of causing the death of her 4 year old and severely injuring her 6 year old. Something she will face everyday for forever Before you all or the court system could convict her of anything, she has already “convicted” herself. Your comments are just trivial.. May you never have to experience anything like this in your family.

1. Michelle says:

You said it best and truly as a Christian. Thank you! I am right with you. Prayers please everyone prayers to all of them!

1. dont need a fictional being to find the truth says:

remeber when in the court system….seperation of CHURCH and STATE.

2. Daniel says:

Michelle, I have found something much more powerful than faith. It is called reason. Once you free yourself from the bonds of organized religion you will know what I mean. I do think that there is a God but I now understand that no one on Earth truly knows who or what God is. Now that is a fact. Read Thomas Paine’s “The Age Of Reason”. He was a founding Father by the way.

3. lovesorchids says:

Daniel,
        Living in a Christian manor has nothing to do with being tied to the ‘bonds of orginized religion’, as you say. You can live a life of faith, tolerance and peace without having to sit in a church every week and making the desired, monetary donation. It’s a little than that.

4. lovesorchids says:

‘It’s a little BIGGER than that’, is what I meant to say at the end of my comment.

27. Eric says:

If she is found to be DUI there will be no sorrow for her self induced pain. She needs the crash scene photos affixed to her cell wall that she can observe day and night until her death.

1. Schaeffmama says:

If DUI is the case, guarranteed she won’t ask for any sorrow or sympathy. Her ‘life’ ended when her little girl died, regardless if alcohol played a part. She’ll re-live each moment of the crash over and over. She’ll be more brutal to herself than any comments can suggest.

28. Ace Slick says:

Read elsewhere. This irresponsible drunk is now facing homicide by vehicle charges. It seems she put the poor defense little child in the car seat but did not secure the seat to the car with the belt. Then after speeding and driving drunk she lost control and rolled it “several” times. I drive that section every day. How does one “lose control” on a smooth section of a dry 4 lane divided highway without it being pure negligence?

The death of the poor innocent child is the first of many heartaches this drunk will be facing. And she bought each and every one just like she bought each those drinks. I hope they throw the book at her. We need those kind off the road now.

1. erica says:

I agree

29. Heather Briney says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire family. I know of this family through a relative of theirs and I was deeply saddened to hear of the news. I have a 4yr old and a 6yr old and would be horrified to lose one of them. Don’t judge the mother as she will have to live with this for the rest of her life. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Remember this little girl for the joy she brought to people and may this tragic accident help to save another child’s life.

1. Ace Slick says:

The only thing that will save another child’s life in an instance like this is more rolling DUI task forces and more DUI check points. People need to learn that this type of behavior is not acceptable. It is not OK to be a little buzzed, or have “just a few” and get behind the wheel of a car.

30. allison says:

Im so sorry you had to witness this horrible accident, that must have been awful. That poor baby didnt deserve this! The other little sister is all alone now. So sad.

1. bettygerbil says:

it is hell being the only child alive as my brother was killed by a drunk driver and after i felt guilty for being alive and he is not i wish i had one more time to say i love u and my mom she died the same day as her life does not go on i don’t know how u survive losing a child and his wife she wishs she had one more day and his children they have lost everything he can’t walk his children down the isle or boyfriend time . it is hell i will never forgive the drunk i have to believe god will let me see my brother again because if i don’t have that to hold onto then what do i have . they say it happen in a minute but i wonder and it kills me what did he think or did he have time to react to the accident

2. Brittany Hovancik says:

No she still has an older sister.

31. LARRYG says:

HEATHER….YOUR WORDS OF COMPASSION & LOVE & SENSITIVITY ARE AN EXAMPLE FOR ALL TO FOLLOW….
    MAY THE GOOD LORD EMBRACE THIS YOUNG CHILD AND GIVE HER COMFORT & HOPEFULLY WE CAN ALL PRAY FOR THE MOTHER …THAT “IF” SHE WAS DUI…THAT SHE WILL BE ABLE TO FIND FORGIVENESS FOR SUCH A TRAGIC TRAGIC MISTAKE.

32. Jennifer says:

I was on my way home last night and saw this accident. I missed it happening by twenty minutes but when I drove past there were two cars totally destroyed and by the looks of it I honestly thought no one survived. I saw the helicopters flying away from the scene. Its a shame the poor little girl lost her life. what a tragedy

33. Brittany Hovancik says:

People make mistakes. No one is perfect, everyone should just hope the rest of them are doing better. The people on here that are leaving mean comments need to stop. Your NO BETTER then her leaving these mean and rude comments.

1. Truth says:

I’m not seeing “mean and rude” comments. I’m seeing comments where people are outraged that someone was drinking and driving and took another’s life. It may seem harsh, but the facts are what they are. And if you think “your (sic.) no better than her” then you’re sadly mistaken if you think posting truthful comments is the same as someone taking a life because of DUI. No one is happy that a child’s life was lost. I’m sure most (hopefully all) are very saddened. But the sadness is overcome by anger for the preventable act that caused it. Many of us realize that she could’ve taken OUR child’s life by her actions.

1. Brittany Hovancik says:

Well if you read closley to some of the comments their is really no need for them.

2. lovesorchids says:

Brittney,
        ‘Truth’ speaks the truth…Period.

3. AS says:

2. JIm says:

Excuse me? I didnt kill my kid so right there I am way better than she ever will be.

3. Mom says:

How is the Jen doing? Is she gong to make It?

34. bill q says:

Daniel is the only one here who gets it , the idiot mother should get the death penalty for her actions, first degree murder, getting drunk is premeditated, driving drunk is premeditated, the mother is an adult and should pay dearly for her actions, even children know it’s dangerous to drive drunk ! the mother didn’t care about her children or their welfare, the girl was ejected from the vehicle, that takes alot of force (speed) to cause, I am an EMT I know ! I was sitting in the traffic for this accident, I saw first hand the severe damage caused to the vehicle, drinking and excessive speed was the cause, there is NO forgiveness for the mother’s actions, or pity for her, I hope she gets the death penalty for killing her daughter and critically injuring her 6 year old child, so that her stupidity can never hurt anyone again !!!

1. Jon says:

Amen brother!! Like I have said on several of these stories, you drive drunk and you kill someone ITS MURDER!! But all the holy rollers on here want to do is pray, pray and pray some more..Whats even sadder is the people who call this a mistake, its not a mistake, ITS MURDER…
      Just like that a hole Travis Isminiger who killed the 7 year old girl in December while driving drunk..I was crucified for calling him a murderer while most of the others were saying he made a mistake…Mistake my ass, you drink, you drive, and you kill someone you are simply a murderer in my eyes..

1. bettygerbil says:

i agree with u but our court systems protect the drunk and not the victims .

2. MomOf4 says:

I think the death penalty is the easy way out. Let her rot in jail and live with the guilt of causing the death of her poor innocent child.

1. Brittany Hovancik says:

You are one rude person. Not everyone is perfuct. i’m sure you have made many mistakes in your life time. No matter what happens she will still have two other duaghters that still need their mother and will always have to live with this guilt.

35. dan says:

Will of god my butt, mother is stupid and deserves all of the pain and anguish she is getting

1. Brittany Hovancik says:

NO she DOESN’T

1. erica says:

Yes she does.That’s how life works.This isn’t forgetting your childs medicine or being late picking her up from sports.This woman deliberately drove drunk with her child and murdered her.Where I stand,its unforgiveable.The mother is the one that deserved to die,if anyone.

2. Brittany Hovancik says:

NO one deserved to die, She always made sure her kids were buckled up. She still has two other duaghthers and a husband that needs her

3. Daniel says:

Hopefully she will be in prison for so long that her husband will find another wife. Maybe someone who will not kill his children by driving while drunk.

36. David says:

Reading some of these posts just confirms something I already have known for a long time. This world we live in today is indeed full of people who care nothing of one another. Its a shame what happened to that little girl. Period. Shame on some of you for making this out to be anything more than what it is. A tragedy.

1. jim says:

Its also ashame that a little girl lost her life because a mother didnt care for her.

37. KottaMan says:

No cigar for this parent…… DUI and killed her child. Some people never learn. As well, how could the child possibly have been ejected while in a car seat? Sounds like the parent was inebriated enough to have not tethered the seat to the vehicle of just didn’t have the child strapped into the seat. Too many accidents in western PA these days in which occupants are ejected. I feel for the soul of the child but have no sympathy for the parent.

1. Brittany Hovancik says:

Listen here. Riley was one cute little girl. Her mother always maked sure everyone was always buckled up before she would drive off. The car flipped over a few times and it wouldn’t have been that hard for a little girl to come out of her set..

1. HMoore says:

Oh Brittany save your effort! There is NOTHING you can say that will make that woman sound like a good caring mother!! Good parents DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope she lives a long, long life so she can re-live this everyday!

38. Daniel says:

But this post is about the little girl who died at the hands of her cold bloodied killer, her Mother. Actually it was the woman who gave birth to the child as a Mother would not drink and drive with her children in the vehicle. This woman committed murder and should suffer in prison for it. I do not forgive her nor will I pray for her. She deserves to rot in prison and be forced to do hard labor as well. Hopefully she will be held without bond.

1. Brittany Hovancik says:

She still has two duaghters to take care of. She will always have to live with this and will probly never be able to forgive her her self. So she DOESN’T deserve that at ALL..

1. Daniel says:

She deserves to die by lethal injection in my opinion. And hopefully the courts will not let her have custody of her other children. She is an unfit parent.

2. AS says:

I am disgusted with all the people who are writing such hateful comments about this woman! Do any of you have half a brain?…do you not realize that there are 2 surviving children and one of which is a young teenager? I am sure she will find this article and read some of these horrible comments. How do you think she will feel reading that all these people want her mother to die and be tortured for the rest of her life? No matter what happened that woman is her mother whom she loves dearly! How about some of you read your comments again, but instead of it being about someone you don’t even know think that it is someone else saying those EXACT words about YOUR mother! Does it make you feel good knowing that YOUR words will hurt this young girl beyond belief?! Her mother made a horrible choice that resulted in a tragic accident, there is no denying it, but who gives anyone the right to say such horrible things about someone you don’t know. What gives you the right to hurt a family that is already in so much pain?! The sad thing is that you won’t even care that you have hurt anyone else with your words…

39. CT says:

Does anyone rember the news story that was on last year about the mother that killed her two kids because she rolled the can and the kids werent in car seats or seat belts? Whate ever happened to that woman??

40. fran says:

I am so sad to hear bout this tradegy…My heart fell out when I opened the kdka site yest morning,…I went to bed thinking bout the little girl..I dont even know these ppl but I prayed all day yest…My prayers goes out to the family…I am so sorry for your loss…May GOD be with you…

41. Yankee says:

As if this story isn’t sad enough already, reading ALL of your comments makes me sadder still. A little girl is dead, and her sister severely injured and likely doesn’t even know her sister is gone. Their mother is left to live with what she has caused, as well as what the court system has in store for her. How can any of this bickering and bantering contribute anything of value to what has happened? You don’t believe in God? That’s fine for you. You don’t believe in the power of prayer? That’s your choice. You want to ridicule and scrutinize the life of a woman who drove drunk and killed her child? In America, you’re free to do that too. You can even come here and attack each other’s differing views because we’re free to express our differences in a place like this. When all is said and done, did it make YOU feel better? What have you contributed to this story by posting here? …but guess what? God still loves each of us the same. That’s NOT an opinion…it’s fact. Even when we say or do things that don’t make us seem so lovable, He has the capacity to be bigger than our petty words and actions. Most of you will forget about this story before the little girl is buried; why not get a head start on forgetting and move on now. I hear kick-off is at 6:29 p.m.

42. Another view says:

I wonder….has diabetic ketoacidosis been ruled out? Same symptoms as being drunk…… just curious. No doubt the police have just reason to suspect DUI.

1. Clarification says:

Other sources report “strong smell of alcohol.” I don’t believe that that’s a symptom of diabetic ketoacidosis. But I hope against hope that this isn’t a DUI killing.

43. MADD Jack says:

You people with passion, simpathy, prayers, finger pointing, and all of the other human ellements voiced and exercised are not in the know of the real world. What is, is! No words of the exercise of the human element is a true factor of the human element being an exercise in weakness. Always consider who you don’t want to be like so you can truly be yourself. This lady was being herself. We should all do our best to not be as she is. Her payment for stupidity shall go on forever!!

44. Brittany Hovancik says:

People Get A Life! STOP being SO RUDE, Didn’t your parents ever tech you if you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say it at all??? She still has two other daughters to take care of along with her husband. Which i’m sure they don’t appreciate all the rude comments…

45. Liz says:

For Brittany; She only has 1 daughter left who is still in the hosipatal. First of all she never should of had the girls out so late, or never thought about drinking while she had the girls with her. I have the right to say that cause I am a mother if 2 myself and i would never drink while i had the in my car.

46. KittyKat says:

I am so very sad for the family for having to deal with all these comments from all of you. I am friends with this family and know that they are all hurting. I will not take sides from this, I will say that the children need to be with their father so that maybe the mother can get some help. If it’s jail time then so be it. Yes we all make mistakes and this one was a huge one, but let the family get through this situation with comments that are left with sympathy and condolences. Thoughts and prayers are with the Ruttinger family. I hope you all find peace in your heart while Harley recovers.

47. Amie says:

I just think it’s sad that people have to look to their imaginary friends because they cannot handle real-life explanations and bacis truths….an irresponsible mother took her own child’s life because she decided to drink and drive. No “god” behind that just plain stupidity.
    Reality bites sometimes folks…the child wasn’t “:called home by God so he/she could have her smile”…she’s just plain dead….it is unfortunate but it happened, grieve and move on.

48. Mr. Green says:

You people are off topic.

She’s a drunk that killed someone. That someone was her own kid.

She’ll pay legally, morally, and spiritually. And the soon the better. Hopefully this person will never again share the roads with the rest of us. Just like her daughter.

49. Amy says:

What a terrible tragedy😦 I am a mother of two and would never imagine driving drunk! People need to grow up and be responsible parents…A young life lost out of adult carelessness…Horrible!!

50. ... says:

Spell check is everyone’s friend.🙂

51. Mom says:

How is Mrs. Ruttinger doing? Is she going to make it?

52. AS says:

1. A says:

she doesnt have a teenage daughter she has a 6 year old, my mother would never be that irresponsible.

she needs to have her 6 year old child taken away from her shie is an unfit mother

1. A Mom says:

She does have a teenage daughter. She had 3 daughters. The teenage daughter was not with her.

2. Jeff says:

To AS and MOM You cant argue with these people because you cant fix stupid. They think they know all the facts by what they read.

53. to jeffy poo says:

YOURE AMAZING JEFF YOU SEEM TO HAVE A ONE TRACK MIND BUD. BEING ON THE FIRE AND EMS SIDE. I EMBRACE NEW AGE TECH AND SAFETY. MEANING I DONT TEXT N DRIVE! read the above posts and you will see mine where it says theres devices in the works that will use gps to shut off texting capabilities and limit phone use to hands free calling. btu snice yuo aer so woreed abot my speling, heer ya go.

54. Fire side says:

I hope you like my spelling also. I figured it would be easier for you to read it.

55. To firefly says:

Wow are you smart. Read the comment above stupid. I guess my elementary spelling didn’t help you at all. Kinda like having a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Wow I am not surprised at all you did not catch it.

56. Love From Thurmont says:

Please, before you leave any comments here, consider the effects that your comments will have on Jenn’s teenage child (who wasn’t mentioned because they weren’t in the accident), on her husband, on her parents and siblings. This is a close, loving family who is suffering greatly at the loss of a child. This is a deeply religious family who finds comfort in their faith. They are the one’s affected by this tragedy. This is their story, not yours, so whatever your faith, whatever your beliefs, please let them find comfort in theirs. Tragedies like this always bring out strong feelings and opinions from people who care about children and the issues involved, but writing hurtful comments here isn’t going to make a positive change in this world. If you are compelled to act, support an organization against drunk driving in Riley’s name. Please have compassion for this wonderful family. Most of all, please remember that there is a teenage child caught in the middle of all of this who is most likely reading these comments. Our hearts go out to you J&P, and to all of your dear family. Our prayers are with you all.

57. Erin Taylor says:

for liz she has two more daughters i kno them well okay so just shut up becuase you dont know these people like i do. and jen loves those girls andd where ever she goes they go to.

58. Daniella says:

I cannot believe all of these “holier than thou” comments. The facts are not even completely gathered yet. If what the media is reporting is true, it is still a very sad situation for all concerned, including the mother. For those of you with no compassion, you may not drink at all, you may never drink and drive which I certainly hope is the case, but, if you think that it is a given that you will never make a poor decision that ends in tragedy, you are sadly mistaken. It can happen to any of us. I keep this whole family in my prayers. I also feel very saddened for those of you who have nothing better to do than make judgment and spew your nasty comments. There is certainly something missing from your lives. Get help!

59. Kara E. Sherman says:

How can people be so cruel in these types of situation? This poor woman has already paid the ultimate price and will have to live with that for the rest of her life. How do any of you even know what her BAC level was. The media immediately jumps to conclusions when alcohol is involved. Just because she had a drink does not mean she was drunk and unable to drive home safely. The roads could have been icy, she could have fallen asleep, etc. In this country we judge others so unfairly, which is wrong when we don’t even know all the facts. Many of us have made similar mistakes but have just been lucky. How can anyone believe that the best thing in this situation is for this woman to go to jail. She has two other children that need their mother. They have already lost their sister and don’t need to grow up without their mother too. I think many of you need to think about how you would feel if this was your daughter, sister, wife, in this situation. Its easy to point fingers when its not your loved one involved. No one in this world is perfect and all we can do is pray that we are never faced with a situation like this.

I pray for peace for this family.

60. daisy says:

I pray for peace for this family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

61. Daisy says:

I pray for peace for this family.

62. PR Mom says:

Wow, I never knew there were so many perfect people on this plant, let alone in little ole Pittsburgh! As of today no charges have been filed yet so why not wait to pass judgement! Smelling of alcohol doesn’t mean you are drunk, one beer ca leave an odor on your breath, spill some on your shirt and you can smell it, neither means you are impaired. I personally know Jen, though I have never met her children, and she is a wonderful, caring person. My thoughts are with her and her family as they deal with this tragedy, I pray they can turn to each other for the love and support thay all need right now!! I pray they find a way to make it through this! So hold your judgement, because Jen is going through a living hell right now and will have to live with this for the rest of her life, regardless of if alcohol was a contributing factor or not, she was driving and had an accident and her baby was killed! so be angry if you want but think of the family and their loss, please! I know many people on here hate any mention of religion but I have to say this, He who is without sin, cast the first stone!!

63. FROM AN OLD FRIEND says:

I simply can’t believe this has happend! Especially to such a loving family as hers and someone that LOVES their children as much as I am sure Jen does! I understand everyones strong emotions and it’s been a while since I talked to her but I would just like to say the Jen I knew is NOT the vilan she is being portrayed to be! NOT EVEN CLOSE!! In fact seeing all the hate posts is kinda odd to me as I don’t think I ever remember anyone having a bad thing to say about her, which in a small town like Thurmont that in itself says alot! I remember when she had her first daughter(G) as I was friends with the dad (MS)and even as loving and gentle of a mom as she is I CAN GUARANTEE YOU there was NOT a man big enough or a machine gun nest nasty enough that girl would not charge if it meant getting to her child so to hear someone that doesn’t know her accuse her of not loving her kids is just WACK BS to me!! Not trying to justify anything here but I honestly don’t think ANYONE will be as hard on her as herself. Don’t wanna sound like i’m taking away from the fact that this is a terrible tradgedy either but beings so many people that don’t know her are bashing her I thought it was only fair to post a few things about the Jen I know!

J.Jenkins

Thurmont, Md

1. Responder says:

You must be an OLD friend because you haven’t been around for the last two years to watch the NEW Jen. After working at Pressley Ridge she became the party girl., not the caring mother you make her out to be. I don’t call this an accident. An accident is something you can avoid. Getting in a car drunk and drivingi with your children and then killing one of them not an accident. You wonder how she can be driving around now and not rolled up in a ball or begging to be put somewhere for help. Her actions have taken away a sister, daughter for her Dad, Grandaughter and many little frineds have had to be talked to about the death of their little friend Rylie. So J. Jenkins you remind me of all the people on TV that can talk about things they don’t know and haven’t lived. You will go on with your little live in Thurmont and we will be left with our new sad life in Hopwell.

64. Ib says:

Jennifer is a veerrry kind and caring women and would never everr hurt her daughters on purpose what happened was a tragedy and cant be fixed! & her teenage daughter is very HURT by all these ridiculously immature comments “grown” men/women are posting. SO STOP.

Comments are closed.