Elderly Couple Recovering From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

FOREST HILLS (KDKA) — An elderly couple remains in the hospital today after officials say they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes at their home in Forest Hills.

The 69-year-old woman and her 70-year-old husband were taken to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning this morning.

According to Forest Hills police, the elderly woman barely managed to call 911 after her husband passed out from the fumes in their Sherwood Road home.

Neighbors say the couple is hearing impaired, and didn’t realize they had accidentally left their car running in the garage overnight.

“They’re nice people. I’m glad they’re okay. Glad the police responded quickly,” said Sean Flaherty, a neighbor. “I hope they pull through and everything’s all right.”

A steel door that separates the garage and basement kept most of the fumes from getting into the house and probably saved their lives.

However, since the car was running for nearly eight hours, there were enough fumes in the house to have an effect on the couple.

There is no word on their condition, but officials say they are expected to recover.


One Comment

  1. Sharon Morris says:

    Saw your piece on KDKA about deaf couple in Forest Hills. Thank you for mentioning assistive devices such as flashing/vibrating carbon monoxide detectors are available. We all know it is important for individuals to have a working smoke and/or carbon monoxide detector in their home. Assistive devices such as flashing and vibrating smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are particularly beneficial for individuals with hearing loss because they can not be alerted by traditional sound. The most vulnerable individuals in our society such as the elderly can not afford these items due to a fixed income, therefore devices are not widely used due to cost. The average carbon monoxide detector for a hearing person can be purchased for as little as $35.00, but flashing and vibrating devices for the deaf and hard of hearing average $165.00 – $219.00 for detector only, plus another $250.00 for the actual flashing/vibrating receiver. In many cities flashing smoke and/or carbon monoxide detectors are given to individuals in need for free but in Pittsburgh these devices are not always readily available. Public education to increase awareness of this problem is needed to ensure everyone has access to the devices which can help people lead a fuller and safer life.

Comments are closed.

More From CBS Pittsburgh

Play It
Get The All New CBS Local App

Watch & Listen LIVE