Mt. Lebanon HS Project Clears Final Hurdle

MT. LEBANON (KDKA) — The final hurdle was cleared for a major renovation of Mt. Lebanon High School Monday night.

The board of commissioners voted 3-2 to approve the project, which won’t come cheaply.

It’s estimated the renovation carries a $113 million price tag.

The vote follows years of controversy. Mt. Lebanon Superintendent Dr. Timothy Steinhauer told KDKA-TV he’s gratified by the vote and it’s been a long process.

The next stage is beginning the bidding process. The district hopes to have ground broken in the spring.

Comments

1. TJM says:

Upper St Clair builds a new school.. Bethel Park follows suit. now Mt lebo.. I went to bethel and delt with the multi Million dollar upgrade in the 90’s. Then they simply waste it all and build a new school.. Maybe its time to start looking into who’s freinds with what contracters!! Something seems a little fishy here

2. Zoeyzotron says:

Glad i am not paying for it.

3. RJ says:

IT’S FISHY ALRIGHT LETS MAKE MORE JOBS AT THE TAX PAYERS EXPENSE
    OF COURSE THE SUPERINTENDANT THINKS IT’S A GOOD IDEA, BUT DO THE RESIDENTS OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT.
    EXCUSE ME DEMOCRATS HOW DO YOU PLAN ON PAYING FOR THIS?
    I SAY LET THIER DAMN UNIONS PAY AND THEN LETS SEE IF THEY STILL
    WANT TO DO THIS!

4. JT Smith says:

If you have ever been to mt lebanon high school you would see it is severly outdated and in need of major repairs. Contractor estimates to just renovate the current building were over 95 million. the new project sets up a much nicer school with better classrooms, more technology and more functional space. While it is alot of money to build, it is the best option for this district.

5. WS says:

My son attends Mt. Lebanon HS and I have indeed had the opportunity to walk the halls. While I have no insight into the plumbing, heating and electrical systems, what I saw was more than adequate in every way. The technology seems first rate, there was no shortage of functional space and realistically, there’s not much you can do with a square room to turn it into a “nicer” classroom. Contrary to popular belief not everyone in Mt. Lebanon has the disposable income required to fund this undertaking. Given the current economic climate, the timing of this project is nothing short of irresponsible. Every good parent understands the need to say “no” to their children from time to time. The School Board has been told “no” by a sizeable percentage of residents, and like a wilful child, has decided to proceed regardless. I believe they threatened to hold their breath until they turned blue…

6. Kurt Torpey says:

I am so glad I moved out of Lebo in 84 and even more so I never came back. You people are truly nuts for allowing this to happen. Come to my daughter’s school. The plumbing is a mess, the library is nonexistent and we heat some of the rooms with space heaters.
    Guess what folks? The children are HAPPY, the teachers don’t earn as much yet they produce a healthy learning environment. I will match my daughter’s state test against your average student and it will be better.
    WAKE UP!!! Throwing money at your problems is not the answer.

Comments are closed.