Paramedic Fired In Wake Of 2010 Snow Death Reinstated

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Officials held a press conference related to the death of a man during a snow storm last February.

Curtis Mitchell, 50, of Hazelwood, died. His live-in girlfriend called 911 10 times in a span of 30 hours, but by the time paramedics arrived, Mitchell was dead.

A scathing arbitrator’s report returns crew chief Josie Dimond to the job with full back pay – about 11 month’s worth.

In a recording, Dimond talks to another employee about an attempt to get to Curtis Mitchell’s home.

Dimond: “If he ain’t (expletive) coming down, I ain’t waiting all day for him, Kim. What the (expletive). This ain’t no cab service.”

The report will not be made public, but sources tell KDKA Investigator Marty Griffin it calls Dimond a “scape goat.”

The report also blames the incident and lack of response on the city and Public Safety Director Michael Huss.

“If they wish to blame me, that’s okay,” Huss said. “I got broad shoulders.”

The arbitrator also described Hazelwood as a scary neighborhood. That offended Huss.

“I travel through Hazelwood every day,” he said. “I think it’s a nice neighborhood. The people there have always treated myself and the other emergency responders that responded to those communities very well.”

“For them to make a comment like that is I think unfortunate,” Huss added.

Sources say the report calls the incident the “fiasco of 2010.” Sources say the report said Mitchell could have come towards the ambulance.

Sources also say the report says: “Josie Dimond’s livelihood can’t be wrangled away from her by dangling innuendo.”

Dimond will not be back to work immediately. The city says it will appeal the decision.

Alan Perer, a lawyer representing Mitchell’s two children, told KDKA-TV: “I don’t see how a paramedic, whose highest obligation is to save lives, does not get reprimanded or punished in some significant way.”

Perer says while the city has admitted it failed Mitchell, it continues to drag its feet in federal court in a lawsuit he’s filed against the city in the case.

Stay with KDKA for the latest details.

Comments

1. JOHN says:

I'[M SORRY BUT THIS ARBITRATION BOARD NEEDS TO BE CHECKED OUT. THEY DO ALL THIS WHEN IT WAS ANS IS QUITE OVBIOUS THAT THERE WERE DEADLY CONSQUANCE’S INVOLVED. THIS IS JUST NOT RIGHT.

FIRE THE PERSON IN CHARGE AND BE DONE WITH IT. I PERSONALLY THINK THE FAMILY SHOUL FILE A WRONGFUL DEATH LAWSUIT….JUST ME

1. Mark says:

The problem typically isn’t the arbitration board in these situations. The reason that so many of these cases get overturned in arbitration is because the employer is in such a rush to look like they are serious about addressing the issue that they don’t follow the proper procedures in taking whatever action they take.

Very often, the wrong message is then taken from the outcome by the public. The arbitration decision doesn’t necessarily mean that the person’s actions weren’t worthy of punishment or termination. The decision oftentimes is more indicative of the failings of the employer to follow the proper procedure in doing what they did.

So, instead of the public being upset that their City Leaders messed up and demanding accountability, the public mistakenly blames the arbitrators.

2. Max says:

Shameful, shameful, shameful. One more scar on the city of Pittsburgh…..

3. steelerfan says:

This is pitiful. This supervisor should have been fired, There is no excuse for what this supervisor did, A man died to this persons ignorance and it is ridiculous. You are a paramedic and should be able to deal what ever mother nature throws a you, Get your lazy ass out of the ambulance and walk if you have to, its your job and you get paid good. I hope this mans girlfriend sues the pants off you.

4. Jeff says:

Well maybe the live in girlfriend should have driven the patient to the hospital. Now who is really responsible for his death?

1. Flora says:

It’s not his girlfriend’s JOB. She wasn’t getting paid to help people or to get them to the hospital. Jeff, that remark is just silly.

1. Jeff says:

Oh your right Flora my mistake. His girlfriend had no obligation after so many hours of EMS not showing up to get him to the hospital. My mistake in thinking that “oh I am not getting paid to get him to the hospital so I am going to leave him here to die” and blame those who cant get here due to the weather and the roads.

2. Hoss says:

Wow, Flora. I hope no one ever is unlucky enough to become your girlfriend, wife, etc. Because in your world, you would never make any effort to transport a sick boyfriend, spouse, etc. to the hospital. I’m not saying the EMT is without fault. But your statement is the silly one.

2. Mike says:

The street that the man and his girlfriend lived on was snowed in. If they had a car and it was parked on that street, they would not have been able to drive it. The Medics have a job and it is saving lives. They failed at that job.

3. FixPGH says:

This story reached national news on MSN.com this past fall and a bunch of idiots said this exact same thing. This is Pittsburgh. Does everyone drive? Does this woman drive? Does she have a car? Was anyone able to go ANYWHERE that night of the storm? If response crews “couldn’t get to him” then what makes you think she would have been able to get anywhere? They are more experienced in driving in bad weather PLUS they could have at least have walked their sorry behinds to the man’s house.

1. Al says:

Walk there and what? Carry him for a mile in 4 feet of snow? Impossible. This was tragic, there is no doubt about that. But all the people playing the blame game have no ideas as to what the EMTs could have done differently. A freak medical emergency combined with a freak blizzard are to blame for this man’s death.

2. pk says:

fix pgh,

Why would you walk there when you were told hey he is on his way. They were NEVER told he couldnt make it. Blame the dispatcher who never relayed that info.

4. Jeffrey Verzi says:

hey jeff take it easy now I think I KNOW YOU BE NICE

5. stephanei says:

Clearly she couldnt drive him . Thats why she called 911 . duh

Now this women just gets a PAID VACATION for her negligence this is bull

Duh Stephanei,

Thats bull, people call and then say we will follow you in our car because they will be seen faster if they go with you. DUH!!!!

5. Daniel says:

OK, the arbitrator ruled to let Sgt. Hlavac return to work and the city appealed that decision. They fired Hlavac when he was arrested for domestic violence. He is still not back to work. Another Officer was arrested this past week for domestic violence and he was assigned to the warrant office but not fired. The three officers who arrested Jordan Miles are still suspended with pay. They should be put back to work if you ask me. They are stellar officers. Now will the city appeal this arbitrators decision regarding the paramedic supervisor? Let us wait and see!

1. BLOOMFIELD MIKE says:

Dan you couldn’t have said it better. The city does whatever they want, the problem is the Police dont stick together and that makes the Police union a joke in the eyes of the mayor.. They should Shut the city down on a holiday like st patty day and see what happens or have not showed up on the superbowl beat….But they wont, they dont support each other and are greedy!

1. Sandra Klingensmith says:

Mike your right! My neighbor is a city cop and he said the union is a joke and he will never touch another person while he works here. He is looking for a job elsewhere!

2. Denise says:

And don’t forget to add Rodney Gamich to the list of people killed by Pittsburgh officials and they got away with it.

3. Jeff says:

Actually Rodney was killed by Brentwood PD, one of which I believe went on to be involved in his wifes highly questionable death…

2. Jean Bigeut says:

Dan if you havnt noticed the Mayor just does whatever he wants, if I’m not mistaken I think I heard a judge also ordered that Hlvack Sgt back to work after the abitrators decision..The city just refuses, and bad mouths him.

1. pk says:

his name was johnny gamage.

6. Marty Lame says:

Fools. KDKA is wrong because it wasn’t a Supervisor that was fired. That would have made sense. It was a bottom-rung paramedic. Maybe if they fired someone that was actually in charge then it would have meant something. PSD Huss and Mayor were not here (its in Arbitration evidence), EOC supervisors and EMS Chiefs and Districts Chiefs allowed call to be cancelled several times. So there are a handful of bosses to be blamed. Be made at those managers being paid very well to handled this.

7. happy camper says:

good for him,he should get his job back maybe mayor dopie will quit blaming everybody else & using them as escape goats for his pathetic janitorial skills

1. JOEY says:

I hate MAYOR LUKE

8. t'mara says:

jeff, i’d like to see what you would do if you needed help and called and called for help and it was blown off in such a dismissive way…have you listened to the tapes? the ambulance should have tried to get as close as possible and then walked. it is a horrible shame this man died and the paramedics were so callous.

1. Jeff says:

T’mara, Well let me tell you what I would have done in that situation. 1st I take responsibility for all that are in my house. If the ambulance cant get to me then its my job to get the sick one in my house to the hospital if needed in anyway possible. If the means drive them, or get a neighbor with 4 wheel drive to take us, or get the patient to walk down to where the ambulance is or drag him if needed. Its all to easy to blame others isn’t it.

1. Heather says:

Man, how many nose bleeds a day do you get up on that high horse of yours, Jeff?

9. People Dontknow says:

t’mara, you dont know what the tapes are from do you? Its from a PHONE CALL BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE. Not a radio transmission, not anything else, a personal phone call. It was not blown off by the ambulance crew. It was dismissed by the :dispatchers, and bosses. Read the Department of Health of PA report.

10. Leslie Powell says:

I think you’re missing the boat with this story. The truly culpable party is the supervisor in charge of the para-medics that day. Everybody has a boss for a reason. That boss should have found a way to contact the on-duty supervisor for the road crews and arranged for the plows to make sure the ambulance got to that man…up to & including shoveling the walk & steps so that he could be safely gotten to the emergency vehicle.

11. Red Pill says:

the plows were told not to deviate for the ambulances because the medics with all of the calls for assistances were taking up their time from clearing their routes. It was even a clip on the news from the public works director blaming the medics for his crews not having the roads cleared fast enough. The truth is there if you dig for it. Just dont keep taking what they feed you

12. Bill says:

Paramedics are a necessity. The community needs them. The behavior of both the men on that ambulance and their supervisors is disgusting.
    I was in a Pittsburgh ambulance on my way to the hospital after a heart problem.
    Instead of the paramendic offering me encouragemetn the said “say your prayers buddy you are not going to make it. You will be dead before we get there”.
    This during sunny weather in July 2010. Who selects these people for this very important job.

1. pk says:

sure you were, I bet you were at the super bowl to

13. laidbackguy says:

One of the supervisors who was disciplined in the Mitchell incident got promoted to an assistant chief position in the fire department today. Why is that story not being reported?

14. Just a medic says:

You all don’t seem to understand the job paramedics must perform – especially during high stress incidents like the snow storm in Feb 2010. I am a paramedic, and although I do not condone the behavior of the crews that responded and / or lack of responding to Mr. Mitchell’s home, I do understand the job quite well. I was involved with an out lying community ambulance that responded into the city when they were over 60 calls deep. People don’t seem to understand that not every single “emergency” is a true emergency. People do not need transported to the hospital via ambulance for things that can wait – ie a hang nail, pimples, fever that is controlled with tylenol, a cold, or any other miscellaneous things that can be treated with OTC medications and / or at your primary care physicians office. The EMS system as a whole needs to be over hauled – ambulances were tied up dealing with stupid things and unfortunately this man paid the ultimate price of a failing system.

I think people also need to remember that during this storm there were lots of paramedic’s and EMT’s that were well into their 24th and upwards hours of working. Why? Because we were in a state of emergency and when we run under that condition you don’t get to go home. You have to sleep when you get it and pray that caffeine doesn’t run out. Is that an excuse for why this man died? No. It’s a fault in the system which I have said previously – needs a serious over haul. Our system needs an over haul from the ground up and we need to do more public education as to when it is appropriate to call for an ambulance and then when you do call 911 tell the truth and not the right “catch words” so an ambulance comes faster because people don’t feel like waiting.

I don’t think anyone deserves to die, especially when it appears to be preventable. My sympathies go out to his family and I pray that this never happens again. I think we should learn from our mistakes and look at where our faults are – fix those and move on.

1. Mike says:

Great reply

2. truthisheresy says:

Thank you! It’s refreshing to find the very few people who “get it”.

15. Bud says:

They should have never fired him…

16. mike says:

Stupid reply

17. Mark says:

What is truly shameful about this incident is that the public doesn’t actually know what really happened. The media and City Administration has only feed them bits and pieces of the facts and done so in effort to get exactly the reaction that they got – blind outrage.

In the Mayor and PSD’s rush to condemn their employees, they either left out or simply didn’t bother to find out that PGH EMS crews never abandoned this patient. All 3 times the assigned Medic Unit discontinued it’s response, it did so because someone from the patient’s location CANCELLED THE REQUEST! They condemned them for not getting out and walking, when one of the crews was in fact on foot headed to the residence when they were told to cancel.

I’ve heard the tapes and read some of the reports on the incident and a lot of relevant information has not been provided to the public for them to have a proper understanding of exactly what happened. I still haven’t seen any proof that this person’s death was caused by not getting to the hospital.

Mistakes where made, but ultimately this person was failed by the system and not the supposed actions or inactions of the couple of people who were the scapegoats.

18. Alan says:

I have experience as an EMT, Paramedic, Emergency Dispatcher and a Commanding EMS Officer. If you want me to get on my soap box about the overall EMS system, I will be happy too – at a later time. But, each of these individuals were trained in the concept that are each a vital link in the chain of Emergency Services. It was up to each of them to do everything in their power to overcome the hurdles before them. They all bare some of the responsibility! I realize that hindsight is 20/20, but I have been in similar situations and can tell you what I did… I made phone calls, and got access to snowmobiles that were recruited prior to the weather event as part of a mutual aid pre-plan. I then hiked in with whatever equipment and supplies I could carry and stabilized the patient until other resources arrived. That way, at least if the patient’s condition deteriorated, my efforts were immediately available.

1. pk says:

you hear that Alan Its you blowing you own horn. The did do that before this call and after that. they were told he was coming to them

19. Richard says:

I’m glad the health and well-being of myself and my family will NEVER be in the hands of these inept NON-responders! The arbitrator may have cleared the crew chief but in the public eye it is nothing short of MAJOR FAIL! God help us all if this is an example of how a response such as this should be handled.

1. I HATE HUSS!! says:

Hmmmmmm.., Arbitrator cleared the Medics after an investigation, PA Department of Health cleared the Medics after an investigation, The Pittsburgh Medical Director cleared the Medics after an investigation. Hmmmmmmm.., maybe there’s more to this story than what’s being put out by the media and PSD Huss? That would be so unlike the media to give biased information to the public and it would also be so unlike a weasel like Mike Huss to blame others for his lack of being anything short of human.

20. Mike says:

Another example of why its time to get rid of all unions and their corrupt arbitration process.

1. Mark says:

No, this incident is exactly why Unions are needed and the outcome is not the result of a corrupt arbitration process as you claim.

The outcome is the direct result of the typical mishandling of problems in the public eye by public officials. The Mayor and PSD attempted to handle a personnel matter in the media. A lot of relevant information about what actually happened was not made public, probably because it would have made those two’s initial comments look foolish.

In the end, Crew Chief Dimon was not fired because she did not arrive at the scene of a call (that her unit’s response was actually cancelled for) who’s patient eventually died. She was fired for swearing in a telephone conversation with a co-worker.

The arbitration process recognized the City’s actions for what they were, an attempt to save face and satisfy the public’s thirst for someone to be punished.

21. PK says:

YEAH LIKE THE CITY ISNT CORRUPT. THEY FAILED TO CLEAR THE STREETS PERIOD. THE MEDIC DID WHAT THEY TOLD TO DO PERIOD. ITS AMAZING HOW THE DEFLECTED ALL THE BLAME TO PERSON WHO HAS THE LEAST POWER. THE MEDIC ASKS FOR ADVICE AND DID WANT WAS TOLD TO HER. SO DONT BALME UNIONS BLAME YOUR POLITICIANS WHO DEFLECTED ANY REPOSNSIBLITY. THAT IS WHAT IS DISGRACEFULL.

22. Dan says:

This is makes me sick, if the medics would have got the truck stuck, you all would be blaming them for going down the street and saying they should have known better, because then nobody gets any help. They couldn’t make it all the way down so they went and helped the next person they could get too, that makes sense!

1. Bob says:

They could have walked down the street, i walked 1/2 mile in that snow to my Mum’s and then spent 6 hours shoveling. They have no excuse, I feel so bad for this family. This wouldn’t have happened in Baldwin, our paramedics are great.

You are clueless.

23. pk says:

ALAN,

I dont know where you live but the city has no snowmobiles. im not impressed by your self promoting

24. John says:

When I was an EMT we toke an oath to do everything in our power to get to the people in need, it was our duty to serve them. Today it is only their duty to transport them the EMS relies on the fire departments to do all the other services and EMS get paid for all and fire departments get nothing but the call to do the EMS services for them. Sorry this is how it works.

John,
      Your an idiot and whatever made oath you took like Paul Blart mall cop is bull. Number 1. fire gets all the free money from the government where ems bills for services. you have no idea who does the most work so please go protect the mall.

25. Alan says:

PK,

I am not “self-promoting”. I am just defining basic Emergency Services concepts covered at all levels of training.

The city doesn’t have to have snowmobiles, but they do have a duty to pre-plan and find a source for them in advance. This is already being done by the fire bureau’s pre-plan that sources for tankers from in more rural areas in the event that there is a compromised water supply within the city limits. The mayor is even doing it by now contracting privately owned plows that can augment the city’s fleet during unusually heave snowfalls.

These type of pre-plans are not only a good idea, it is established and mandated by PEMA!

Allan,

Thats right they do but they didint. So dont punish the wrong people. And for them having a plan now. NO the dont it as meesed as always. I know.

2. I HATE HUSS!! says:

Alan,
      THE CITY OFFICIALS HAD NO PRE PLAN LAST YEAR!!!! PSD Huss and Mayor Ravenstahl’s pre plan was yo be in Seven Springs and DO NOTHING!! You and everyone else who are not City Firemen, City Paramedics or City Police have no idea what they had to deal with during the storm. There is so much more to this story than what is being told. Unfortunately it’s taking this long to show that the real blame lies with the City Officials, not the grunts that were left with no resources, no sleep and a back log of calls that took days to cover.
      As one person stated TRUTHFULLY earlier, the Mitchell household kept cancelling EMS. Alan, do you know what triage is? I thought after being cancelled the Paramedics should of went to the next highest priority call? And guess what? THEY DID!!

1. ANDY ELENTRI says:

Your so wrong, MAYOR LUKE had a pre plan, it was go to seven springs and make out with some babes and let the city ROT !

26. Hmm says:

Happy Birthday Luke, see what PSD gave you? Philly had help when the storm arrived, why did we have to wait until Saturday night? Thats the ticket throw that girl under the bus. Hey I bet Marty still thinks he is in Dallas chasing the Irving story as well. It is a sad state tonight.

27. Connie says:

There is NO excuse for what this person (Dimond) did. She is no scape goat, it is her comments that were captured, “this isn’t no fking taxi’ The only reason she is being reinstated is to mitigate the lawsuit that the family has filed. By reinstating her, the city can blame anyone else to mitigate their negligence. She is the cause of that man’s death. No one else. Forget the snow, the paramedics could have WALKED to the address with their gear to assist this person by performing whatever life saving measures, THAT is what they are trained and PAYED to do. I think she should be held criminally liable and thrown in jail for her lack of concern for this man. I still can’t believe this man died because of the sheer callousness and neglect of someone who is charged with the responsibility to respond to a call for help. It is a disgrace. And the city wants someone like that driving an ambulance? She should be in jail.

Connie,

First of all she knew nothing of the mans condition or that he couldnt walk. The county dispatcher never relayed that information. She was told hold tight he walking up to you. The 10 calls to 911 were not all while she was on duty. She was not in charge that night but she contacted the supervisors who were. A personal converstaion on a phone line had nothing to do with it. It is grasping at straws to deflect the blame on the real peeple. PSD will do anything but take responsibilty. How about the other calls that were made well after she was cancelled from it by disptcher. Get all the facts right and stop listening to PSD and media who refuse to tell the truth.

28. Pittsburghgirl says:

What I want to know is why wasn’t Mike Huss and the Mayor in Pittsburgh during this snow storm this is something that the “big boss” boys knew were coming for days? This isn’t a tornado that just showed up. From what I’ve read Dimond was told to leave the call from a supervisor,why wasn’t the supervisor fired? While I don’t condone his comment, he didn’t say this to the patient. We’ve all made comments behind closed doors. For me this seems that everyone is focusing on the “comment” but not that he was the only one fired. I think this is why the arbitrators reinstated him. You can’t just fire her unless you fired the supervisors, and Huss for abandoning his position. If the city was navigatiable Huss should have left 7 Springs and come in to do his job during a state of emergency

29. Mr HOP says:

Let’s pray this decision doesn’t put the rest of us at risk? When the paramedics have the authority to decide who is qualified for service, we’re all in trouble!

1. mark says:

Sorry to break this news to you, but that authority already exists. Now, this doesn’t mean that we get to decide if we will respond to a call. However, it does mean that the Paramedics already have the authority to decide whether or not your “problem” warrants treatment from EMS.

Many, many people call 911 for things that they should be calling their family doctor for. Many, many people call 911 for a ride to the hospital because they know that they can get away with not paying for the ride, unlike if they called a taxi. The vast majority still end up being taken to the hospital by EMS and those whose condition warrants treatment, will receive treatment.

If you were working on ambulance and your dispatcher informed you that the patient (or their representative) said to cancel the response to their location, what would you do? Go anyway or head to the next call?

If you want to worry about something, trying worrying that when you’re injured or having a heart attack and need an ambulance, that one is readily available and not tied up providing “taxi service” to one of the many abusers of the system.

30. Milly says:

If just one of the Storm Team Deadly Weather forcasters would have mentioned the snow, maybe Huss would have missed the party.

31. Bob says:

well it finally happened, i have always said that one day the union thugs will get someone off for murder and it finally happened. Someone on this arbitration board is probably driving around in a new car!

Bob,

What about the city thugs you picked the same arbitir. Its not a board it one indepedent person picked by both sides. The truth came out in that hearing unlike the mouth of PSD

32. s.luxbacher says:

No, not a cab service..that’s why you don’t sit in your warm vehicle waiting for the sick to come to you. You are a paramedic whose job it is to get to the sick and injured! I hope the City doesn’t back down on this. She deserves to be fired. She should be greatful that she is not facing criminal charges!

S luxbacher

Walk a day in the shoes. It easy to sit in judgement form behing your laptop.

1. john says:

As a firefighter I see what EMS dose nothing and wan all the praise.

2. pk says:

john,

Fire does alot, Alot of cooking and sleeping

33. CAROL says:

NO i WILL NOT BLAME THE UNIONS OR THE PARAMEDIC ON CALL. BLAME THE POLITICIANS AND BOSSES. AND TO THE COMMENT THAT HAZELWOOD IS A SCARY PLACE, I HAVE ELDERLY RELATIVES WHO STILL LIVE IN HAZELWOOD AND LIVED THERE ALL THEIR LIVES. NO SCARIER THAN MCKEES ROCKS WHERE I LIVE. BUT THEN WHY IS A PLACE LIKE MCKEES ROCKS AND HAZELWOOK SCARY IS BECAUSE THE USELESS POLITICIANS FORGOT ABIOUT THEM. NORTHSIDE SOUTHSIDE THAT IS WHAT THEY CARE ABOUT. THE INCIDENT SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. ALOT OF THINGS IN THIS CITY SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. LOVE YOU AUNT PEG AND UNCLE CHUCK.

34. Rob says:

I also work in public safety but not EMS. I used to be a medic and dont condone what was said on the recorded phone conversation. It was said in a comment above that the medics were working on 24 plus hrs. I know the medic who was fired on a professional level. While I deal with the medics on a daily basis I know there are some jerk medics out there. The way they talk among each other when they think no one is listening is their way of dealing with stress especially at a time like the snowstorm. I have been on countless calls with the fired medic. No matter how ridiculous the call her bedside manners are incredable. She is being used as a scapegoat. Like it has been said the failure starts at dispatch. If this was evaluated by dispatch to be a higher priorty emergency the fire department would also been dispatched to this call to assist the medics. IThis city shot themselves in the foot by releasing that recording and now they are placeing blame in the wrong places.

35. CAROL says:

MAYBE ALSO BLAME THE WAY THE PARAMEDICS ARE TRAINED. PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE TREATED THE WAY MR MITCHELL WAS TREATED. COULDN’T THE CITY GET A SNOW PLOW UP THERE? THEN AGAIN IF THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN SOMEWHERE ELSE OTHER THAN HAZELWOOD WOULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED AT ALL. I BELEIVE IN THE HEALTH FIELD OR ANY FIELD THAT IS PEOPLE RELATED YOU TREAT PEOPLE THE WAY YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED.. TREAT SICK PEOPLE AS IF THEY WERE YOUR OWN FAMILY MEMBER. CHANGES SHOULD NE MADE FROM THE TOP DOWN. LET’S START CARING FOR EACH OTHER NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE OR WHO YOU ARE.

1. I HATE HUSS!! says:

Carol,

The snow plows WOULD NOT come assist EMS, THEY were ORDERED by PSD HUSS to NOT ASSIST EMS!!

36. CAROL says:

AGAIN IT STARTS AT THE TOP. ARE THEY SAVING MONEY TO MAYBE SHORTEN THE TRAINING TIME? OR MAYBE THEY SHOULD ADD CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS TO THEIR TRAINING. THAT IS LIKE IN HOSPITALS YOU HAVE GREAT NURSES AND DOCTORS WHO HAVE GREAT KNOWLEDGE IN WHAT THEY ARE DOING BUT BEDSIDE MANNERS SOMETIMES STINK. I CANNOT JUDGE ON HOW A PARAMEDIC SHOULD WORK BUT I DO HAVE ALOT OF RESPECT TO OUR PARAMEDICS,FIREMEN AND POLICE OFFICERS. IT IS A SHAME THIS HAPPENED.

37. Kate says:

I hope Josie Dimond sleeps well at night … This is another fine example of why unions have no place in the public sector … unions protecting people like Josie Dimond who not only does not deserve reinstatement, but should face charges in the dealth of Mr. Mitchell.

1. Mark says:

As I stated earlier, this case is EXACTLY why Unions ARE needed in the public sector. Your comments, like those of most of the people who have commented here, are based on emotion and ignorance rather than on actual facts.

The Mayor, PSD and media have all repeatedly told only a small portion of what happened. Why is that? It couldn’t be because they made knee-jerk comments based on what they think happened and bowed down to public pressure for somebody’s “head on a platter” in order to keep the focus off of their own mishandling of the entire snow storm?

As I also stated earlier, she was not fired because her actions resulted in this man’s death. She was fired because she used profanity in a phone conversation with a co-worker. Probably the same profanity that the Mayor and PSD used in front of a co-worker when they heard about the incident.

BTW, if you’re going to assert that a person should be criminally charged in a person’s death, the least you could do is make sure you are accusing the right person. Her name is Dimon, not Dimond!

1. Kate says:

My apologies for the typo in the last name, Mark. However, I stand by my “ignorant” and “emotional” opinion that Ms. Dimon’s (non) actions (and, yes, her trash-talking cell phone conversation) are cause enough to have her fired. This would never be tolerated in the private sector. The unions must go. They are the reason the Port Authority is in the pickle they are in. No public sector unions … it would be a beautiful thing. I thank God that I had the sense loooooong ago to move out of the City so that my tax dollars aren’t used to pay for moronic civil service jobs and the union thugs who run them. And, by the way, I don’t argue your point that Mayor Luke and his minions are part of the problem, but then again, I didn’t vote for them! Have a Great Day!

38. Dr Michael says:

The response for all medical personnel is always get through, there is a human being out there that needs help. Get to them no matter what, snow, rain, hurricane. Its your job but more than a job its a comittment to people to assist them in thier time of need and provide a valuable service until thier care is with emergency room physicians and nurses.

Do you job qnd put others first. If you dont want to do the job you signed on to do then GET OUT

Dr. Michael,

What a hippocite you are. I see first hand in the er how doctors and nurses talk about pts and its far worse than what was said here. Some of the most ignorant non cring people are in the er and your only concern is your fat pay check. That why doctors dont make house calls no more? becuase its beneath you.

2. I Love Richy!! says:

Dr. Michael,

Really? I’m a paramedic who numerous times have brought patients into an ER only to be told “why are you bringing this f’n dirtbag into my ER?’ or “do they think this a f’n clinic?” by RN’s AND Dr’s!!!! Also, I have witnessed on numerous occasions RN’s and Dr’s making fun of patients genital size and even better yet RN’s taking photos of intoxicated patients and then sending them to friends on their phones.
      Those who live in glass houses…..,

39. formermedic says:

To the medics commenting on this site. I am a former medic and to say that the dispatcher should have put it at a higher priority is ridiculous. All call should be high priority. I understand people call for the little things that don’t require an ambulance but all calls should be treated the same until you get on scene. This was not a case of ambulances being tied up with unnecessary calls. The ambulance was THERE! The job of the medic is to get help to the patient quickly and professionally. That did not happen here. To reinstate her after her remarks about not being a taxi service makes me sick. If she is that indifferent about her job she should not be working as a medic anywhere. I have been called out because someone cut himself shaving, but we responded in a quick and professional manner. The ambulance was right there and noone made an effort to help this man. If they had a car it would have done them no good, as the street was snowed in and they couldn’t have gotten out anyway. When an ambulance is called you have to assume every call is life threatening, it’s not the medic or the dispatchers job to decide what is a true emergency. The responding crew make that decision when they arrive on scene. If you have to work non stop during a crisis then so be it, that’s your job. There is simply no excuse for what happened and they should get rid of all involved.

Hey former medic,
      Your a former medic for a reason. You have no clue what it was like . Im sure you were a medic that ran 2 calls a year. Spare me your thoughts of what the job is. You dont know the policies that were in place. Fire the head honcho not the grunt.

2. I HATE HUSS!! says:

formermedic (cause you are a moron)

All calls should be a high priority? Obviously you have never worked in a system that runs 60-65,000 calls a year with 13 ambulances from 7am-11pm and only 10 ambulances from 11pm-7am. Now add a catastrophic snow storm with a call volume that took days to clear. You have no idea what the Paramedics of Pittsburgh were left to deal with. How can you sit there and say that this was not a case of ambulances being tied up with unnecessary calls? Guess what? IT WAS?!?!?! It was also a case of ambulances NOT being able to respond to high priority calls due to being tied up on unnecessary calls! This was also a case of ambulances getting stuck and not being able to navigate due to THE WRONG type of chains being on stock AND public works being ORDERED by PSD HUSS to NOT assist the medics in getting unstuck or clearing a pathway for the medics to get to calls. There’s also no mention in the media of the overwhelming call offs by public works that weekend because of the Super Bowl.
      As far as the ambulance being there, the residence cancelled the call numerous times when ambulances were responding to that address. I guess that’s the medics fault too? The medic in question was not the first ambulance that responded or the last ambulance that attempted to respond. Also, that medic in question asked the immediate supervisor what should they do and HE told them TO CANCEL and respond to HIGHER PRIORITY CALLS THAT WERE ON HOLD!! I can go on and on but hopefully soon all the facts will be out.

40. JAUN says:

GOVERNMENT WORKERS AT THEIR FINEST.FROM THE ARBITRATOR, THE PARAMEDIC, THE SUPERVISORS,, THE HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT , TO MAYOR SKIPPY. ALL FAILURES. A MAN DIED AND THE ONLY ONE THAT PAID A PRICE FOR ALL OF THE CITY’S INCOMPETENCE IS CURTIS MITCHELL.SAD!

41. private ambulance serv says:

this is to funny,she was a scape goat,but city medics suck,they should be privatized they are over paid morons with a bs ccac cert..they are in the top 10 %in pay in the us.but there is hope they have no contract,and the fire dept is taking over the rescue division.the will not have a leg to stand on.the end is near for the city premadona medics.who choose what calls they show up on..bums

1. i Love Richy!! says:

Private Ambulance Service,

I am not a City Medic but I am a Medic in the suburbs. they still have a contract, while they negotiate a new one they are still protected under the previous one. Fire is not taking over Rescue, that is protected under the contract AND City charter. As far as CCAC certs., just about every Medic for the City has received their education through the CEM. And last but not least., every EMS provider knows that all EMT’s and Medics that work for private services are the bottom of the barrel who can’t make it as an EMT or Medic in an emergency service. So with that said, go take another non emergency transport and let the REAL MEDIC’s take care of what you are too inept to handle.
      ps; Why don’t you take a grammar class too, your post shows the obvious lack of intelligence that you have.

1. private ambulance service says:

i love richy!! you know nothing the city is not talking with them,the entire fire bureau has vehicle rescue tech.the have no contract for a reason and how much $ do you make in the suburbs ? i bet i make double you no nothing your name says it all you are probaly a fat slob happy to have bald ugly boyfriend named richy.or gay like most male medics afraid to do a cops job loser medics suck especialy city ones

2. pk says:

Come in talk that stuff at any station. open invitation tuff guy. Im sure your not in ems anyway. Well see who has what in the end.

42. Smooter says:

Moral of the story, let a man die on your watch, get a paid vacation thanks to your union.

1. pk says:

moral of the story go to seven springs, have a party, blame evryone else.

43. formermedic says:

PK, they should both be fired. Spare me your whining about how hard it is. It’s just like any other job if you can’t hack it, don’t do it. Loser.

former medic,

Get your information correct, Your the loser, Your probably at home with your cats and a scanner. hows the dating site going for you.

44. FedUp says:

Another point of view — I’m sorry, but if my “loved one” is that sick, I would have beating on neighbors’ doors (strangers or not) asking for help. Everyone is always so quick to lay the blame on someone else — don’t you get it — TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY! Sure, now it’s easy to sit back and talk about firings, lawsuits, etc., etc. I’d be damned if I’d continue to call time and time again after continually getting no response. What’s wrong with the “girlfriend” — use some common sense and figure out a “Plan B”. His death is at least partly your fault.

45. toni says:

Why blam the emt why not blame public service for not getting a plow to assist the ambulance.

46. James Love says:

All involed should be held for murder for dispite the weather the man had to be hospitalized and no one came to the house to help the man. I had to spend two nights at a Oakland Hotel therefore I and my future wife had to walk in that snow. If those of us who had to get out in Oakland who were stuck, EMT Workers should of made a way to save this mans life. The dispatch lady should be sitting in prison for 1st degree murder for the rest of her living days without a chance of ever being out on the streets.

Comments are closed.