Baldwin Man Takes Down Crosses

BALDWIN BOROUGH (KDKA) – Friday was the deadline for a man in Baldwin to take down a large lighted cross he put up in his yard.

Baldwin officials agreed with neighbors that it should come down, but Carl Behr had refused to do so.

Until today.

He defied the borough and was at odds with neighbors, but he did take down the crosses Friday morning.

Baldwin Borough had given him five days to remove a 24-foot cross as well as a smaller one from his home on Robin Street.

Failure to do so would have resulted in a fine or penalty. Borough officials claimed that he was in violation of an ordinance.

A neighbor complained that the light from the larger cross was shining into her home at night.

Behr said he built the crosses on Feb. 6 after receiving a message from God.

“When I [saw] my face in the paper yesterday I [saw] it going somewhere else. Certain people like fame, you know, and they live for that. But, that’s not this situation. This situation isn’t about my face being in the paper and the news and all that,” Behr said.

He said he’s not seeking fame or recognition, but will find another way to spread his message.

RELATED STORIES

Baldwin Man Refuses To Take Down Crosses
Man Ordered To Take 24-Foot Cross Down
Lighted Crosses Put Neighbors At Odds In Baldwin

RELATED LINKS

Baldwin Borough
Baldwin Borough History

Comments

1. Mike says:

The crazy man came to his senses.

I guess Jesus spoke with him this morning or last night and gave him the order.

It is a good thing that Jesus didn’t tell him to start killing those who opposed his crosses.

1. stupid people surround me says:

your an ass

1. Mike says:

Lol, “your” an ass. Go back to second grade.

2. Frat man says:

Mike, nobody cares what you think, you have proven you are an idiot. My whole household of frat boys are laughing at you right now.

3. Mike says:

Oh no, fratboys are laughing at me!

Lol

He said fratboys.

Is Jesus laughing with you all too?

If so, tell him I know where he can get a 24ft cross at a cheap price.

2. Bishop says:

Old Carl misread thy Commandment: It’s love thy neighbor, not light thy neighbor.

1. William Campbell says:

Don’t think old Carl reads very much.

2. Mike says:

@Bishop,

LOL!

3. Nutcase says:

Good, in my neck of the woods, we have the moron with the toilets on his roof

1. Warhol,Andy says:

If they”re lighted at night I’d like to see that! Are they fully funtional, ?

2. lk says:

And it is an icon and great. Be different instead of the boring mass

4. JAUN says:

JESUS SPOKE TO HIM AND HE SAW THE LIGHT.

5. CountryMom says:

Funny that nobody complained or made them take it down when there was a man nailed to it and left to suffer and die but put lights on it and everyone has an opinion. May God Bless you Carl for trying to show people the true light!!!!!

1. Mike says:

What an idiotic non sequitur you just made there, CountryMom.

It is whackos like you, Carl and other religious nutjobs that give your religion a bad name.

1. Alyssa says:

I second that Mike!

2. Laura says:

Mike, you are the wacko, you will rot in HELL. This is not a case of being wacko. Since when is believing in something wacko? Look at all the Steeler stuff hanging around peoples homes. What if someone becomes offended at that? I would say then all the steeler stuff would have to come down. Someone could easily hang a huge neon Steeler sign in the front yard and be forced to take it down. Then all the steeler fans will be upset. Then they are wacko. I think you need educated.

3. Mike says:

@Laura,

Which hell is that: gehenna, tartaros, or hades? And, after you let me know which hell (since you are a practicing Christian and should know which hell), how does that hell relate to the Lake of Fire, which isn’t hell?

You are on the clock!

4. William Campbell says:

A 24 foot lighted Steeler sign would be just as inappropriate.

2. The 2 Morons B&M says:

That’s right Country Mom Jesus did this all for us, while bishop and that idiot Mike complained .
      I’ll pray though for the 2 of them hopefully Jesus won’t slam the gate door on them and tell them to go to hell.

1. Mike says:

Jesus did nothing for you or any one in relation to what Carl did to his neighbor… and that was to disrespect and be a nuisance to his neighbor, which is exactly the opposite, your Lord Jesus, said to do. I believe his commandment was to love thy neighbor.

To think God or Jesus had anything to do with Carl’s display of inconsideration to his neighbor is laughable and once again gives your religion a bad name.

3. Sara Lang says:

Oh, Jesus!!!:facepalm:

Sara

:facepalm, Jesus style!

6. Mr Soho says:

Just another fanatic trying to bestow his religious beliefs on others.

7. Praying says:

That’s what is wrong with this world. As soon as someone makes a reference to God someone complains. No nativity scenes outside government buildings, no prayer in school, etc. We are so far off the path it will be a miracle if even God can save us now. If he had put up the Koran with lights it probably would have been a violation of his rights to make him take it down.

Praying,

Another religious fanatic nutjob posting non sequiturs and thinking that what they post has relevance, logic, and is fact-based.

Nativity scenes and government buildings has nothing to do with this issue.

Prayer in school has nothing to do with this issue.

Putting up a Koran that big with lights would have produced the same results.

Good grief, there are so many ignorant and stupid people out there that it is scary.

1. Mike shut up says:

and you are one of them…

8. JS says:

This really isnt about religious freedom. This guy, nut though he may be, can practice any religion he chooses. What it is about is the fact that he had a large, lighted object in his yard that apparenlty violated local ordinances and annoyed his neighbors who were trying to sleep. Whether it was a cross, Star of David, or giant Spongbob Squarepants image makes no difference.

JS,

What you say is what I’ve been saying all along, but to these whacked out “Christian” people replying here and on the other blog when Carl refused to take the crosses down – they just can’t seem to understand that… it is like they are blinded by their own religion.

1. Dumb Mike says:

Whacked out “Christian” people….you are an ass.

2. Mike says:

See, even a dummy agrees with me.

2. William Campbell says:

Right on. It’s hard to have a rational discussion with irrational people.

9. Scott says:

To the folks who feel this man shouldn’t have had to take his cross down…would you be okay with that cross or ANY lighted object in a neighbor’s yard if it was legitimately shining in your bedroom window and preventing you from sleeping in YOUR PERSONAL bedroom? I don’t care if he put up a shining money tree in his yard, it was a total disruption. IMO, this wasn’t a matter of WHAT the object was, it was a total disturbance to others! if he lived on a farm somewhere with no neighbor’s around, have a lighted cross farm for all we care, but it’s about disrupting other people’s lives, NOT the object and what it symbolizes.

10. be brave says:

I just put up a 40 foot cross and no one has complained, infact they all think it is great, including my township.

1. be brave says:

It is attached to my tree so there is no danger of it “falling” and it is lit , maybe not as bright, but it is lit.

1. JS says:

Why’d you stop at 40 feet? You should have gone for 100.

2. Mike says:

Because that would be approaching a Tower of Babble like fiasco.

11. The Pope of Caste Village says:

How dare we let these heathens pressure Carl into giving up his religious beliefs. Carl should go crucify himself up there. Then he’d show you.

12. Sigh says:

Didn’t this whole cross thing start as a deliberate attempt to annoy his neighbor who had complained about the construction vehicles, salt mound, and other miscellaneous junk in this guy’s yard? This was never about religion. This man simply used religion as a tool/weapon in a “neighbor war”. It’s sad and irritating that this whack-job has gotten so much press. …And doesn’t he have better things to do, like, mind his NINE kids???

13. Believe says:

Anyone who complains about crosses should live on an island with all the other people who hate religion and deal with it there. Leave those of us who believe in God alone. I am offended by the non-believers.

1. Scott says:

I hope your response was full of sarcasm, if not, I’m offended by your lack of knowledge. This LIGHTED cross was SHINING DIRECTLY into someone else’s HOME, therefore DISTURBING a neighbor. Wouldn’t YOU be upset if any LIGHTED object was preventing you from sleeping in YOUR own home?

1. believe says:

I have it every night, from a street light and car dealership high lights on their parking light. That is what drapes are for and blinds.

2. Scott says:

Well, sucks to be you then, believe, because if I lived near a car dealership and the lights were bothering ME on MY property that much, I’d be complaining and getting that resolved.

14. I love Christ more says:

What happened to hanging a cross on the wall over your bed or breakfast nook? Christ was humble. This kind of stuff is not.

15. Heather says:

Hahahahaha LOL LOL LOL

16. Justice for All! says:

Once again Officials working for the people and themselves. If they don’t like something they make new laws. If they don’t like something you get fined. Don’t pay your property tax and they take your home. Public domain and they take your land. For America we live in a very controlling time. It will only get worst.

1. And All for One says:

Yes, and if you break the law they arrest you…how dare they! What kind of country is this when you cant put up a measly 25-foot tall cross to show your neighbors what a real Christian is? Damn the torpedoes and pass the ammunition. As Fred Sanford used to say, “I’m comin’ Jesus”.

17. lance says:

i would have kept it up its your yard you bought the house dnt let ppl tell u wat to do u have every right to express your self in any way and there is no one that can tell u different i would have just paid the fines and fought it !!!!!!!!!

@ lance,

If that is the case, I am going to buy a home right next to yours and since it is my home and property I have every right to hang up in my yard a picture of two naked people because my belief is in Mother Nature and in my religion being naked is sacred.

Now, I will light that picture up at night and have those lights directly facing your bedroom and living room windows.

Please, don’t take offense because it is my right since it is my property.

18. Ron Greer says:

What about Churches Who are inconsiderate and shine there lights into the homes of others and shine there headlights into the same houses . I live next to the Allison Park Assembly of God ( since when does God need Assembled ) and these people are the most inconsiderate hypocrites I have ever seen.

Hey Ron,

If the are shining lights directly into your home or are a nuisance, I’d take it up with the proper authorities if I were you.

19. Bad Medicine Is What He Needs says:

If Carl was my neighbor I would have erected a 25 foot tall upside down cross and put a spotlight on it.

1. lance says:

thats fine thats why its called curtains!!! ppl have every right to express god in any way on their property!!! the guy pays his taxes that is his right!!! thats like someone telling u ur not allowed to go to church when u want !!!! thats invasion of privacy!!! i would of kept the cross up i dnt care who gets mad !!!

20. Raul says:

What if he wanted to burn that cross and wear a bedsheet? Still say he can do whatever he wants ?

Raul,

He can do what he wants as long as he doesn’t fringe upon the rights of his neighbors. Shining a light directly into a neighbor’s house, especially one you already “had it out for” is not Carl’s right.

21. your momma says:

carl likes to materbate

22. Kelly Letang says:

@Mike You certainly have a lot of time to voice your opinion about a man that you have never met. It’s funny how someone who has no reliable facts pertaining to the situation can be so sure of himself. The cross was not lit during all hours of the night. It was turned off at a respectable hour after the first night it was put up. It has everything to do with religion and Mr. Behr has every right to express himself however he chooses. The light is most definitely not “shining directly into the neighbor’s house” and it’s certainly not “in her personal bedroom”. Also, the woman has blinds and curtains. If she chooses not to use them, then that is her prerogative. I am amazed at how many people on here are sitting at their computers ranting and raving about something that does not involve you personally. Perhaps, you should take a second and consider your own lives before commenting and criticizing Mr. Behr’s.

P.S. @Your mama- You spelled masturbate wrong you incompetent moron.

@Kelly Letang

“You certainly have a lot of time to voice your opinion about a man that you have never met.”

Let me ask you this, have you ever voiced an opinion about a man or woman that you have never met. Let give me you some examples: Jesus, President Obama, President Bush, Colin Powell, Rush Limbaugh?

I’ll stop there to keep you from more embarrassment.

” It’s funny how someone who has no reliable facts pertaining to the situation can be so sure of himself.”

I had the facts. He put the crosses up without a permit and his cross was a nuisance to his neighbor.

“The cross was not lit during all hours of the night. It was turned off at a respectable hour after the first night it was put up.”

It was? And what time was that every night, since you stayed up and witnessed the timings of the lights being turned off or on? Yeah, right.

” It has everything to do with religion and Mr. Behr has every right to express himself however he chooses.”

“The light is most definitely not “shining directly into the neighbor’s house” and it’s certainly not “in her personal bedroom”.

” I am amazed at how many people on here are sitting at their computers ranting and raving about something that does not involve you personally.”

I am not ranting or raving, but you are. Poor woman.

” Perhaps, you should take a second and consider your own lives before commenting and criticizing Mr. Behr’s”

“P.S. @Your mama- You spelled masturbate wrong you incompetent moron.”

23. Lance Estes says:

now thats what im talking about

24. Really people... says:

People have every right to express their faith on their property as long as it doesn’t disturb others. Who cares about offending others, it’s the disturbance that is the issue. If you bought a house, on property that has no neighbors, and all of a sudden they build a football field next to you with noise and lights – you have a right to complain. It wasn’t there before you bought the home.

If this guy wants to display ugly handmade light up crosses, of which I would find tacky personally, then he should have the right as long as:

A) it meets borough standards, which it obviously did not
    B) it doesn’t disturb me in my sleep or light up my home in any manner to where I can’t sleep, curtains or not.

If I blared music so loud that it disturbed my neighbors, should I say “that’s what earplugs are for?” or should you first ask me to turn it down, and then if I don’t comply, take it to the authorities – as this woman did?

It’s not about religion at all here and people are making it to be about religion.

25. Rich says:

Yes , God is alive and well today ! It ‘ s a shame that people have a problem with the Almighty God . You are all going to burn in hell one day and suffer like you have never suffered before . Especially the idiot who said he would put a 25’ upside down cross in his yard ! You are a real SICKO ! Mike, you need help PAL !

1. Mike says:

That wasn’t me who said it, Rich. Get your facts straight.

So, I’m going to burn in hell, eh? Which hell is that, Rich: tartaros, hades, or gehenna?

It’s good to know that God’s Christian soldiers enjoy the thought of other humans suffering…. yep, that is what the almighty all-forgiving God wants of his followers.

Rich, you are a sick individual and sadistic one at that. But don’t feel too bad, I would never wish suffering on you or any other human being.

1. Gary says:

Mike I love you due keep it comming

2. Gary says:

sorry that was Dude

3. Mike says:

No problem. There is no editing feature on this site and that sucks.

2. Bad Medicine says:

Rich-
      How can the upside down cross be in bad taste and not Carl’s cross? If this is really about religion, which you think it is, then you cant have it both ways. I dont have a problem with God. I have a problem with people that think I do because I dont shove it in your face like this numbskull in Baldwin.

By the way Carl and his neighbor belong to the same church. Explain that.

26. Rich says:

Mike ,old buddy old PAL ! If I were Sadistic , I woud not love God .Right? I love GOD and or JESUS ,so no I’m not Sadistic ! Go back to Preschool ,you might learn something – maybe Sunday School too !

1. Mike says:

I believe it is sadistic to take pleasure in taking satisfaction in the suffering of another human being, as you obvious do, Rich.

Sunday school, Rich? You still have not answered me which hell that ii am to be suffering in… Maybe you need schooling in your own beliefs and not rely on blind faith.

Many sadistic people have professed their love for God, including, now, you.

27. Kelly Letang says:

@Mike You received your “facts” from the news. If you believe everything you hear on the news, then you, my friend, are more of a fool than I originally conceived. Clearly, you have no idea the situation at hand. Your “facts” consist of biases produced through the editor of the news story. Please don’t tell me you know what’s going on-because you don’t.

After the first night, the lights on the cross were turned off consistently at 11pm which was in compliance with what the officers requested when they came to the house the first night. The lights were on a timer…wow! did you miss that when you were gathering your “facts”? There is no need to stand and witness the lights being turned off when they are clearly set on a timer.

“It had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with a vendetta. Save it for the stupid and ignorant because if it had to do with religion, Carl would have humbled himself and showed love towards his neighbor, but did not.”

How in the WORLD do you know what he has done for his neighbor? Do you live in his neighbor’s house? Are you his neighbor? No. So save it. You know nothing.

“I saw the film on TV. It was directed exactly at the neighbor’s home who complained about his vehicles. He could have easily aimed those lights at his own house, but chose not to. Why? I’ll tell you… vendetta against his neighbor, which is of the devil himself.”

Do I really need to quote you on this one? “I saw the film on TV” Yes. You did. And that’s ALL you have. If you knew anything about the situation, you would know that her house sits further back in her yard. The tree with the cross is actually in front of her yard-NOT her bedroom window.

“Yes, the woman should be forced to use her blinds and drapes to prevent the bright light from entering… no wait, you said it wasn’t aimed at her bedroom windows so blinds don’t matter. LOL You are pathetic.”

If you are going to quote me, you should at least read what you are quoting. I said, “Also, the woman has blinds and curtains. If she chooses not to use them, then that is her prerogative.” I stated that she has blinds and curtains on her windows…when did I EVER say there was a light shining into her window? Maybe we should start complaining about street lights as well or perhaps even the sun!! That damn sun shines so bright and wakes me up in the morning when I am trying to sleep. Oh wait, I close my blinds and curtains…

“I did on this issue. And, I can say for sure, that I would never beam lights down on my neighbor’s homes nor would I ever be a nuisance towards my neighbor.”

Congratulations on being a perfect neighbor! However, you are an extreme nuisance to society. You sit on the computer and voice your opinion for hours upon hours about something that has absolutely NOTHING to do with you. Please go volunteer all of this extra time at a local animal shelter. Luckily, your stupidity will not directly affect the animals’ lives. I would say to volunteer with people, but I am afraid your uselessness and ignorance would rub off on them.

“Truly you are an idiot. That wasn’t me, Mike, who made that masturbate comment, idiot-moron.”
    I am very pleased that you are able to correctly identify yourself as “Mike”. However, if you would actually read what you were quoting, instead of talking out of your ass-you would see that I wrote “@your momma”. Is your name “your momma”? ‘@your momma’ made that comment and I was responding to that person. Please stop trying to act intelligent because you have clearly proven you are not.

1. Mike says:

I tried to leave a comment regarding your words above, Kelly, but I guess the moderators of this blog are blocking it. I know about the @your momma mistake, I was feeling pretty good that night, but you are still dead wrong on the issue.

The crosses needed to come down as they were a nuisance to his neighbor and they did come down. Good.

28. Rich says:

Mike, there is only one HELL and Satan is the ruler there – until JESUS says it’s over ! Because even Satan will tremble in fear , when ” THE LORD JESUS CHRIST ” comes again on that GREAT WHITE HORSE out of the HEAVENS and proclaims victory over all who don’t believe in him !

29. Mike says:

Rich doesn’t even know his own Bible. There are 3 separate Greek words translated as hell in the NT and the Lake of Fire is not one of them.

Do you always believe in things that you read without finding out if what you read is really what you have read? LOL

30. rich says:

Do you read the king james version ? What is your religion? Idiotism or maybe a–hole know it all! Why are you not at church? It might fall down if you step inside.

31. Mike says:

I have read many different versions of the Bible.

You must be feeling pretty stupid since a non-Christian knows more about the Bible than you, but that is par for the course… so many Christians are just blind sheep following some blind leader.

Why am I not at church? You mean ekklesia? It’s not a building. Look it up, idiot.

32. Richard says:

I know that Christians are supposed to ‘witness’ to non-believers but for my part I couldn’t care less about non-believers. They have every right in the world (and hereafter) to believe or not believe as they choose. I don’t appreciate them trying to push their ‘science’ on me since I have chosen not to push my religion on them. It will all be sorted out individually, when we each reach the end of our lives. I won’t be there saying ‘I told you so!’ and neither will they. To me, religion is personal and I don’t need to bang my head on the wall trying to make someone believe something they don’t choose to.

33. Richard says:

Or to put it in a way the non-believers on this post may be better able to relate to: ‘It’s like trying to teach a pig to sing. All you do is waste your time and annoy the pig!’ Hopefully you’ll recognize youselves….bacon!

1. Mike says:

You forgot one thing, Richard, some of us non-believers used to be believers and we knew how to sing. In my case, I realized that I was wasting my time.

No one religion has the market cornered regarding salvation.

1. Gary says:

Mike I can’t say it enough, very well said and it is about time that people get put in their place. I can’t stand this religious right trying to tell me how and what to believe and trying to take over this county and crying about prayer in school. no one said you can’t pray in school just can’t do it out loud. I’m just glad that there is someone with enough intelligence that people have no response too. Love all of your comments.

2. Richard says:

Mike has a cheerleader! How cute…

34. Mike says:

So, Richard, which hell was that again and what are the differences between the three?

Religious fanatics crack me up most when they don’t even know the book that they believe from. LOL

1. Richard says:

Mike, are you trying to ‘bait’ me into a debate? I never mentioned ‘hell’ in any of my posts unless you read that into my ‘bacon’ statement? I already told you and everyone else that I do not care about your beliefs or even if you believe. I walk my own road and do not/will not try to convince you or anyone else to walk with me! Peace brother…

35. Mike says:

Cool. I got you mixed up with Rich. Two different posters, I take it.

If every person would walk his or her’s own road, the world would be a lot better place to live.

1. Richard says:

Mike, I went back and saw the post from ‘Rich’. He’s full of fire, brimstone and profanity unlike me. I may be full of a lot of things but certainly not the desire to try and change anyone’s mind about their beliefs or non-beliefs. I don’t feel qualified or motivated for that task, I’ll leave that to the Rich’s of the world. For me, I’m happy with my own quiet, intenal peace.

36. Mike says:

Same here, Richard. Good day to you.

37. Greg says:

I am amazed that people actually think this is about freedom of religion instead of what it REALLY is…a guy being an a-hole to his neighbors.

Weird how when he has to spend money out of his own pocket, he’s climbing up to take down his “statement”

Well the statement is clear…you’re an idiot and to you the fine was worth more than your statement

38. Al Kada says:

Ah ha, while you Christians and Atheists are here arguing we are conquering all of you.

1. Mike says:

Oh, go race a camel and eat curry, moron.

Comments are closed.