Port Authority Stops Service, Speed Limits Reduced

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The snow is causing problems on roads around the Pittsburgh area.

PennDOT has reduced speed limits on all interstates in Allegheny, Beaver and Lawrence counties.

The Port Authority ended bus service at 10 p.m. Monday, but the trolleys will still run on a “slight” delay.

The Mon Incline is also temporarily closed.

The Parkway North outbound ramp to McKnight Road is back open after multiple crashes; however, dozens of cars have been abandoned along both sides of the highway.

In Indiana County, State police say Routes 22, 422 and 286 are at a standstill and Route 119 north of Indiana is closed.

Meantime, in western Pennsylvania, the Turnpike Commission has reduced the speed limit to 45mph.

The new speed limit is in effect in both directions for the 91 miles between the Ohio state line and Donegal exit.

Officials say crews are out clearing the snow and salting the road for drivers.

To check traffic advisories, call 866-976-8747. Find road conditions on the turnpike by visiting PATurnpike.com.

RELATED LINKS
School Closings
Local Radar
Traffic Cams
WeatherBug
National Weather Service

Comments

1. Yellow 1 says:

Due to WEATHER / SNOW-ICE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Pittsburgh International Airport, Pittsburgh, PA (PIT).

1. Stuckwithnonews says:

We can’t even find out if our bus route IS canceled because the Port Authority website is freaking down! UGH!!

Sometimes I hate this city.

2. Mr. Snow Miser says:

There is NO excuse for the condition of the main roads and highways. This snow has been predicted for two days. PennDot and most of the local public works departments did a better job on the roads 30-35 years ago during the terrible winters of the late 1970’s than they do now. The areas in northern Pennsylvania and New York clear several feet of snow with no problems but several inches paralyzes southwestern Pennsylvania and causes hundreds of accidents.

1. Amanda says:

How many more cars are on the roads today versus in the 1970’s?

Also, how many swift snowfalls of this magnitude occur in southwestern PA? Typically we do not see weather like this. It’s all relative to the area.

And if people would slow down and act as though the conditions are potentially dangerous, perhaps there would not be so many accidents. It also helps if people would prepare for winter by investing in snow tires. I can’t tell you how many people I see out there sliding around because they have bald tires.

3. redrock100 says:

dont know who u listen to,but NO ONE predicted this snowfall amount.. what are u smoking?

1. Dan Mascaro says:

The same thing you’re smoking.

2. Ralpy says:

EXACTLY! NO ONE predicted this! Fire all the weather people! They Suck.

4. Mike says:

What I find crazy, is how unprepared drivers are. This is PA, don’t drive around with rear wheel drive vehicles and expect to get around safely. It took me two hours to make a 10 minute drive because of everyone in front of me.

1. Mr. Snow Miser says:

We did just fine in the 1970s and before when all that were available were rear wheel drive vehicles. Bring back studded snow tires.

1. Marty says:

Studded snow tires are still legal – Nov 15 to Mar 15. After that, there is a fine involved. I have them on my wife’s fan and she goes quite nicely with no issues in the snow.

5. pghfrank says:

NWS was only predicting 3-5 until late this afternoon. Around 3 they issued a Winter Storm Warning and up the totals to 4-8.

6. j slobber says:

2 hours from Oakland to N.Hills. Almost camped in a BP parking lot but decided to make it no matter what. People are stupid, yes, but even I had a hard time!! lol

7. critter says:

All seasons are only good if they have under 10,000 miles. Most do not.

8. Bea says:

Sure, for 2 days ALL the stations said 1-3 inches overnight, not 4+ inches in a few hours. And, there was sleet & ice falling in Wash Cty as early as 4 pm, never heard anyone tell about that, just north issues. By 6 pm, treacherous, the sidewalks, pavement here very slick. I’ve learned, always expect worse than what we are told. And if you’re south, feel like we’re on our own.

1. Mr. Snow Miser says:

They should have been spraying brine and salting before the snow started. Also it is obvious that more drivers and equipment are needed.

1. meliison says:

I agree with Snow Miser. VERY poor planning, insufficient manpower…it all comes down to money, and this area is broke.

2. Amanda says:

That would have been possible if the snow had not been preceded by rain. Pre-treating in rainy conditions would have been a waste of time, money and material.

9. Joe says:

If people would ave proper snow tires we wouldn’t have the problems on the highways that we have. Too many bad drivers going too slow because they can’t drive and their vehicle isn’t equipped properly for winter driving.

1. Wakefield says:

You are welcome to pay to have snow tires put on my car, sir. Many cannot afford snow tires on their salary, but yet we are still expected to be at work on time.

10. Poor Planning says:

I can’t believe how bad the roads were allowed to get… Seriously? What the hell happened? It’s like everybody waited to see how many people wrecked their cars before going out. Absolutely uncalled for. No excuse for those roads to be as bad as they were.

11. Shockly says:

The problem on the highways is who maintains them, PENNDOT.

12. Mr. Snow Miser says:

Tell that to all the people who crashed or are sitting in ditches.

13. be prepared says:

Just measured 8 inches outside my house they will say ya we got a total of 6 inches i dont know where they get their readings at for this amount of snow we should of been informed on saturday at some point. This was supposed be all rain as of last night and 1-3 inches tonight WOW good job at predicting that one and thhen they won’t even admit that they were totally wrong. As for people getting stuck out there how hard is it to look at your tires driving around in half worn out all season tires don’t cut it in the winter wake up. Get yourself a couple snow tires for your front wheel drive car and it will go just as good as four wheel drive.

14. Please pass the salt says:

I agree that the snow removal was way way better back in the day. I was driving on Route 88 tonight, the main road through Bethel Park, around 6:30-7:30 and saw 1 plow and it didnt make a dent. Thank god I had new tires or I would have had to walk home. What am I paying all these taxes for again?

15. JJ says:

YES.. PENNDOT ( OR LOCALS)HAS DONE THE WORST JOB IVE SEEN IN MY FIRST WINTER IN 1968.. AS ANOTHER ASKED ‘WHAT THE HELLS GOING ON.. I PERSONALLY DROVE IN THIS FROM 5PM-9PM JUST TO GET TO WORK.. NO REPORTS ON RADIO, LESS THE 15 MIN ONES.. WORTHLESS TO DRIVERS IN THE MIDDLE OF 4-6 LANE HIGHWAYS @ STANDSTILL FOR HOURS.. THE PREDICTIONS WERE BROADCAST PREVIOUSLY AND NO EXCUSE FOR THE L;ACK OFPLOWS ETC.. ( I PERSONALLY SEEN ONLY 1 PLOW IN THE ALMOST 5 HOURS.. IVE PLOWED AND KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE W VEHICLES ETC.. IN THE WAY.. BUT CMON.. 1 PLOW IN A 22 MILE STRETCH!! JACKNIFED TRAILORS, ABANDONED VEHICLES, WRECKS, OFF THE HILLSIDE.. SAW THEM ALL TONITE ON RT 28 NORTH.. THERE MUST BE A HAPPY MEDIUM THAT WE CAN WORK FOR!!! WE LIVE IN THIS SNOWY STATE, SAME THING HAPPENS EVERY YEAR SINCE I WAS BORN IN 1952.. IT SHOULD BE NO SURPRISE.. BUT FOR ALL THE MANPOWER AND EQUIPT WE SHOULD HAVE IN PA.. WHAT THE “HELL” IS GOING ON… REPEATING AGAIN

16. FAt CAt says:

Your taxes are mainly going to pay of old debt which was created back in the day when they had 1 snow plow for every 25 cars on the road and a full staff.

17. SlippyWhenWet says:

PennDot HAS REDUCED THE SPEED LIMIT. How do you go slower than “a crawl”? If anyone from PennDot were actually out monitoring or salting the roads they would know that they let the roads get so bad that everyone’s at a standstill to begin with!

18. kate says:

can someone tell me why traffic is stuck going west 376 towards Carnegie

1. Shockly says:

Yeah, snow, PENNDOT drivers are tired and taking a break.

1. Bradshaw says:

Tired? It hasnt even been snowing for 8 hours yet? Those guys are a bunch of pu$$ies!

19. Darn Tootin says:

30-35 years ago you had half the roads you have now and they were the cherry picked routes through the terrain, so more flat roads. Today, cul-de-sacs everywhere, steep grades, more cars, more people, more poorly engineered roads, and lack of long term planning or financing road projects.

I suggest we all move back toward the city and walk.

20. Free Lesson In Economics says:

If the plow operators got the roads cleared really fast they wouldnt be forced to work overtime for $30/hour. Why do the work of one when 2 can do it for four times as much?

21. Amy says:

Seriously people. U live in Pa. Suck it up and deal with or stay the hell home. The plow drivers r doing their best but hard to maintain when EVERYONE is trying to get home. Also snow coming down faster than they can work. Give them a break. When u finally do get home and settle into ur nice warm bed these guys r pulling all nighters plus to try to make the roads safer for us.

1. Shockly says:

Nah, they work 12 hour shifts. The only people who are pulling all nighters are the stranded motorists.

22. Free Lesson In Economics: Chapter 2 says:

nice warm bed or double overtime union pay? Hmm. None of these drivers would trade cash for sleep at these prices. Just ask em.

23. John Majetich says:

We need to be like the city of Chicago! Hold the elected officals accountable for the GROSE miss manigment of the cleaning of the highway system!!! Fire them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. DIANE says:

YES WE DO NEED TO HOLD THE ELECTED OFFICIALS ACCOUNTABLE. THEY GET OFF WAY TOO EASY. WHEN ELECTION TIME COMES AROUND, MAKE SURE YOU DON’T VOTE FOR THEM AGAIN. GAS TAXES ARE SO HIGH–WE THE PEOPLE DRIVE ON THESE ROADS AND WE PAY THE TAXES. WHAT R THEY DOING WITH THE $$$$. GIVING THEMSELVES RAISES, MORE PERKS, ETC. WE ALREADY PAY FOR THE CARS THEY LEASE, THE GAS THEY PUT IN THEM, THEIR LUNCHES, ETC. AND WE GET NOTHING. VOTE THEM OUT

24. Phil Connors says:

Come on, ALL the long distance lines are down? What about the satellite? Is it snowing in space? Don’t you have some kind of a line that you keep open for emergencies or for celebrities? I’m both. I’m a celebrity in an emergency.

25. Laughing says:

I laugh histerically all the time when I’m reading the comments on here and I come across whoever uses the name “Marty Griffin” to comment. The very matter of fact statements and Obvious Bob humor behind the comments is classic.

26. Rick says:

Live in Pittsburgh
    Buy 4 wheel drive

PERIOD!!!!

27. Diggler says:

Rick, what about us who dont have a small tallywacker?

28. Rick says:

Digller, I bet you look cool in your mustang,vette, or camaro in the summer. But at least I’m not walking in the winter. Maybe if your nice I can drag your stuck lame ass home and take your date.

29. Diggler says:

Rick, the answer to your question is YES. It is that big. Happy motoring!

30. Andria E. Goodman says:

Wow this makes me wonder if anyone in Pittsburgh can handle snow like Erie gets, we take precautions and take it safe but the delays, cancelations, and all the whinning. Yes the weather people may have under estimated this weather but regardless if you have to be out in it just be smart and give your self some extra time and be safe

31. 2 Wheel drive and home says:

Rick sounds like your typical Pennsyl-tucky resident. Jobless, broke, toothless, but a big 4 wheel drive pick up truck. All the toothless tattooed Harley women love guys like him.

1. Rick says:

Be pretty hard to own a 08 F350 Lariat Dually ( I’ll let you check to the price on that) that gets 8mpgs @ 3.80 a gallon being jobless.. No harley either my friend Just the seven Motorcross bikes my kids race on weekends.

32. Ann says:

Here is a great idea. Actually stay off the roads when wintery weather conditions are announced. I swear people in Pittsburgh try to blame anyone but themselves. If you cannot drive on snow covered roads please get off the roads. You are the reason their are accidents. Stop blaming PennDot. 1. You can’t salt roads when it’s raining 2. It’s hard to plow and salt when their are “I am above this” type drivers on the road.

33. Ann says:

By the way “their” instead of “there” was on purpose as I notice MANY Pittsburghers don’t understand the difference. (not all–but many)

34. Amazed says:

Do all the salt trucks leave the state last night?

35. Mark says:

You guys are absolute morons! No way this can be blamed on penndot! When they were predicting rain most of the day and turning to snow at night, penndot ain’t gonna pretreat. Then the snow hits right at rush hour with thousands of people on the roads. Like penndot can do anything then! But what am I saying….typical pittsburghers…always gotta point the finger at the wrong people.

1. Amazed says:

sorry mark but when it started to come down they should of been out already – we are not morons – i suppose u work for penndot…. well maybe if they would of pretreated the roads wouldnt of been hell – i am not a typical pittsurgher just saying what it is………have a safe drive today

1. Mark says:

There ya go amazed…pretreat the roads during the rain cause that’s a genius idea! Like I said how the heck do you want penndot to plow the roads when there are thousands of people on them! Use ur heads moron!

36. Daniel says:

The Port Authority website is down…I will bet they brought in lots of extra phone workers to keep people informed….NOT!

37. Mark says:

Last year when we had 2 foot of snow’ Julie Bologna said @ 11pm news that snow was almost done…I stopped plowing my driveweay…next morning woke up to another 12 inches on top of what we already had…shes good to look @ but thats it

38. OWL61 says:

Hey, North Hills Hamptom & West Deer Townships GREAT JOB NO PROBLEM!!

Comments are closed.