Snow Strands Drivers Around Area

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – At the height of the storm Monday night, Allegheny County 911 said they had 130 vehicles abandoned. The Parkway North was one of the worst hit.

Tuesday morning, those who abandoned their vehicles returned to claim them.

Just prior to sunrise, salt and plow trucks took to the streets for the morning commute. However, they had to deal with dozens of abandoned cars left on the road.

“When the back wheels started sliding over I just stopped right where I was at,” truck driver Richard Oswalt said.

Oswalt, from Mississippi, had all 18 wheels of his truck stuck near the McKnight Road exit.

“When it came down, it came down. It was hard. Last night, we were pushing cars up the hill and everything. The fire department guys were out here. We were all going up and down the hill last night. Pushing the cars up and walking back down to get another one,” Oswalkt said.

As the morning progressed, motorists returned to their vehicles.

“I knew I wasn’t making it anywhere. I was sitting in there for 20 minutes just debating whether I’d leave or not,” Andrew Boglin said.

Oswalt was forced to stay and the sleeper cab in the truck was far from being a warm hotel room.

“It was cold last night. I’m low on fuel,” Oswalt said.

If your vehicle is still abandoned on the side of the road, you could get a ticket or have your car towed.

Snow South

To the south of Pittsburgh, there were problems along Interstate 70 caused by the storm.

In Smithton, Westmoreland County, truck drivers were struggling on I-70 Monday night and during Tuesday’s morning commute.

Some got stuck along I-70, while others made it to the Smithton truck stop to wait out the storm.

Drivers at the truck stop said it’s better to be safe than sorry.

“Very hazardous. I try not to drive in it when the roads get snow-covered. I usually try to get of the road and get parked. In fact, I haven’t moved yet, because the roads are still in pretty bad shape. So, for safety’s sake, this thing weighs 80,000 pounds and once you get it going it’s kind of hard to get it stopped,” truck driver Ron Goldston said.

As for snow totals, areas around Hempfield Township were reporting up to nine inches.

The roads are in much better condition than they were last night, but it’s going to take some time to fully clear them.

RELATED LINKS

School Closings
Local Radar

Traffic Cams

WeatherBug

National Weather Service

Comments

1. Ron says:

I’ll bet that everybody who got stuck or wrecked didn’t have snow tires. If that was the case then they got what they deserved. Those people without snow tires are dangerous to those of us who prepare for winter properly.

1. Yup says:

“Snow tires” are just a money making scam. My little Ford Focus and whatever tires I have right now work just fine because I know how to drive and I don’t try to gun it up a hill in-between lanes like people with “snow tires” do.

Guess what, those SUVs and trucks can’t actually out race an avalanche like they do in commercials!

1. Jamie says:

I totally agree, people with four wheel drive are the ones who drive wrecklessly by passing every vehicle because they don’t have courtesy for other drivers who are driving cautiously. Snow tires are a waste of money and theres nothing stopping your vehicle when there is ice involved. I have front wheel drive and my car drives just fine!

2. Ron says:

The only reason you’re saying that is because you’re too cheap to buy them. Plus you’re a woman so you have no clue what you’re talking about.

3. Jamie says:

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

4. Yup says:

Hey Ron, the name “Jamie” could be a guy, too.

2. Richie says:

Raging Ronny is angry!!!

3. Randy says:

Don’t make him angry…you won’t like him when he’s angry.

4. call me crazy says:

I don’t have snow tires and Ill tell you what my front wheel mini van did just fine.. made up hill, down windy roads that weren’t plowed or treated

5. Shannon Nutt says:

I don’t have snow tires OR front wheel drive and did just fine. It’s more about knowing how to drive in poor conditions, and I think we saw a good example last night of just how horrible some of the drivers in this area are.

6. Kevin says:

I am still amazed at how many people in this area cannot drive in snow. Come on, this IS western PA.
    1. Many people didn’t need to be out there but they wouldn’t stay home when
    they knew it was coming..
    2. Many people are not prepaired (i.s. snow tires, studs, 4×4, or even ability to
    drive).
    3. Trying to “go like hell” when you need to slow down and PAY ATTENTION!

7. Dabus36 says:

I am amazed how the weather people on the news continue to be so terrible at predicting the weather. They called for 2-3 inches and we get 8″-9″. What a job. You can be wrong 80% of the time and still hold a job.

8. My Own says:

I don’t care what kind of tires you have or if you drive a 4 WD or a 2 WD, if your vehicle is FWD or RWD, when the roads are bad SLOW DOWN. Simple as that. I always laugh when I see the SUVs speeding past and then see them in the ditch 2 miles up the road. Rubber is going to respond the same way on ice no matter what kind of tires or vehicle you drive. Oh and a man is more apt to end up in the ditch then a woman, so leave your sexest remarks to yourself.

Comments are closed.