Schwartz Market Closing On South Side

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A market is closing on Pittsburgh’s South Side.

Schwartz Market on East Carson Street was the neighborhood grocery store when steel mills were still thriving.

After 83 years, it will close on Saturday.

“The mills are gone, everything’s gone and the families as the elderly people died off, they weren’t replaced,” Marty Dorfner, owner, said.

Sales skyrocketed recently when word came that this was the final week.

Margaret Klimko bought Easter meat for her church.

“I bought 25 pounds of kielbasa that we’re going to have to freeze and make sure we have for the dinner because we’re going to miss them,” she said.

Ideas for the future of the space include an organic market, a community center for the arts and health on the second floor and possibly a worm farm on the roof.

“The one thing she promises it will not be a bar,” Dorfner said.

Comments

1. louis says:

where will the old Mission Market Sausages be sold?

1. Diane says:

Mission Market fresh kolbassi is made and sold at Baldwin Shop ‘N Save off of Glass Run Road. They bought the recipe when Mission closed.

2. bernie says:

Best hot sausage in Pittsburgh and the best owners good luck with your future you will truely be missed

3. Queenie says:

I am sad to see you go. You will truly be missed. I wish you all the best.

4. cyndi says:

didn’t say anyhting about Giant Eagle…with all the bars I’m surprised it lasted this long!

5. Smarter than a politician says:

I’m surprised it lasted this long with horrible parking !!! If good parking that isn’t used as a damn cash cow for a inept city piggy bank, MORE businesses will go away too and leave nothing but bars and Giant Eagle !!!!

1. Pittsburghcanbemore says:

Parking during the day isn’t bad. Only in the evenings/during events (St. Patty’s Day, etc.). But yes, we need to do something about the bars. The magic shop closed and there is a liquor license in the window, it needs to be sold to someone else in a different area and no more bars moved in! Along with the license in the window of the old “Now and Then Antiques” building. If I had the money I’d buy that building for my shop/office! It looks awesome!

Comments are closed.