Defense Rests In State Sen. Orie Trial

By: Harold Hayes

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The defense rested its case in the corruption trial for State Sen. Jane Orie.

On Tuesday, Orie went through cross examination.

Prosecutor Lawrence Claus asked Sen. Orie whether any event made legislators more aware of ethics. She responded that the conviction of State House member Jeff Habay made her more vigilant about ethical issues.

She testified that even though there was evidence of campaign work in the legislative office, it was done when staffers used comp time or lunch time.

Regarding the use of the Senate’s e-mail system for campaign correspondence, Orie said, “I got lazy. There were times I was remiss. But, these individuals had comp time and were doing the work in the appropriate fashion.”

Closing arguments in the trial will begin at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.

RELATED STORIES

State Sen. Orie Takes Stand In Corruption Trial
Testimony Continues In Sen. Orie Trial
Court Hears Key Testimony In Orie Trial

RELATED LINKS

State Sen. Orie’s Website

Comments

1. Hank Devigne says:

Imagine people in her offices just out of the clear blue printing up campaign posters to help her out. Everyone who believes that can send all your money to her campaign managers, she and her wicked sisters really need the money.

2. Jeff says:

Did any employee testify they used comp time to help her? I doubt it. Some time in the big house will do her good. Maybe the prison barber can correct that hair.

1. Incisor says:

I also hope the socialist prison dentist will fix her teeth.

3. OWL61 says:

Imagine “I got Lazy” or “I was Remiss” if I used those excuses at my place of business, I wouldn’t be in business and she’s an elected official! Boy we’ll in trouble. Hey Jeff Habey, make room, here comes another!

4. nonorieperson says:

what is the diffference between a politiician, a lawyer, and thief?

1. Shockly says:

A thief is honest.

2. Big Daddy Kahuna says:

Well then, that pretty much sums it up. Good thing you are not on the jury. Your mind is already made up!

5. JS says:

I seriously hope we as tax payers are not paying for this trial = big waste of $$$ on such a non-issue except for those out for Orie’s head

6. Don says:

The sad part is all these people that showed up as character witnesses probably have seen her do a lot of good, and that’s all well & great, but Ms. Orie is throwing a lot of her aide’s under the bus, just to save her own skin. Too many aide’s and former aide’s have come forward to testify against her, so she can’t use the ‘they are just disgruntled employee’s ‘ excuse to get out of this one. Many people came forward to support Mike Veon as well, but all the good they’ve done in the past, doesn’t excuse them from ripping off the Taxpayers. It’s another case of a politician getting too comfortable with their power, and believing they can do whatever they want. Career politicians have ruined this country, either while in office, or when they leave as high paid lobbyists!

7. Don says:

The only reason it’s a non-issue to you js, is because she’s a Republican. I’ll bet you didn’t have a problem with all the money the Republicans spent on White-Water, trying to find anything they could on Bill Clinton because they couldn’t beat him at the ballot box. Many politicians, Republicans & Democrats have served time for the same thing Orie is accused of. Why should she be treated any different? And also, why isn’t Charlie Rangel in Jail? I’m tired of both parties!

8. Bud Dwyer says:

Remember the good ol days when disgraced politicans would save the embarrassment with a gentlemenly revolver?

Comments are closed.