Closing Arguments Presented In Orie Trial

By: Harold Hayes

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Closing arguments began Wednesday morning in the corruption trial of State Sen. Jane Orie and her sister.

Defense attorney William Costopoulos took an hour and a half to present his closing arguments. He blamed the senator’s chief of staff for campaign work done in the legislative office.

He told the jury that the prosecution “created a lot of smoke in this case. And the biggest smoke bomb was chief of staff Jamie Pavlot… She’s sitting out in Cranberry, making $80,000 a year, keeping her pension and doing nothing because she cut a deal.”

Pavlot testified against Orie under a grant of immunity.

“The senator’s fault in this is placing trust in her staff,” Costopoulos said.

Defense attorney James DePasquale told the jury there was very little if any evidence presented against his client, Janine Orie.

“They needed a fall guy, a patsy to sit with Jane Orie. They didn’t have the evidence or the courage to indict Justice Joan Orie Melvin. The only person who should have been indicted is Jamie Pavlot,” said DePasquale.

State Supreme Court Justice Joan Orie Melvin has not been charged in the case.

Prosecutor Lawrence Claus was set to begin his closing arguments after lunch.

RELATED LINKS:
State Sen. Orie’s Website
Defense Rests In State Sen. Orie Trial
More On Orie Trial
More Local News

Comments

1. JANE ORIE says:

I KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR MY DISTRICT AND I AM VERY DARN GOOD.ITS ALL OF THOSE LAIRS LYING . I HAVE NEVER TOLD A LIE IN MY LIFE. I WOULD NEVER EVER DO ANY THING DISHONEST.I AM NOT A CROOK.EITHER ARE MY SISTERS. WE ARE GOOD GIRLS WITH A SENSE OF STYLE AND FASHION.

1. Black Cat says:

Learn how to spell idiot. Learn how to space sentences. It is rude to type in all caps also.

Ok–now my comment: “The biggest smoke bomb was chief of staff Jamie Pavlot… She’s sitting out in Cranberry, making $80,000 a year, keeping her pension and doing nothing because she cut a deal.”

ROFL! The truth!

1. JANE says:

BLACK CAT, YOU SOUND ANGRY. ME THINKS YOUR FEELINGS GOT HURT .DONT WORRY BE HAPPY.

2. Black Cat says:

No—I am not angry—just waiting.

2. sandra Klingensmith says:

I think its funny that the person who turned them in was using state computers on state time to blog about being a liberal democrat…..what a joke..this whole place is corrupt

3. Cranberry Voter says:

Sounds like aa bitter State Senator who only got caught. Corruption needs to be stopped. Hope the judge uses this circus as an example of corruption with no accountability.

4. Black Cat says:

I would love to know how much this CIRCUS is costing taxpayers.

Comments are closed.