Local Homeowner To Face Animal Cruelty Charges

By Ralph Iannotti

VALLEY TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — A woman is facing animal cruelty charges in Armstrong County.

Humane Officer Penny Dewoehrel said feces and urine were everywhere when she accompanied State police to a home on Yockey Road in Valley Township.

Nine Great Danes were found roaming in the house and one was chained to a wall. Three more were found dead outside. They apparently starved to death.

State police were first called to the home after a 911 hang-up call from the house over the weekend. After several days of unsuccessfully trying to reach homeowner, they got a search warrant to go inside.

Humane officer says there was electricity running in the house, but no water or food for the dogs. The humane officer said the woman wasn’t overly concerned about the dogs’ conditions when she was contacted.

The dogs are now under the care of a veterinarian until they can be adopted.

Animal cruelty charges will be filed against the homeowner on Thursday.

More Local News
More Armstrong County News
More Reports By Ralph Iannotti
Pennsylvania State Police

1. M. Bonetti says:

How can we adopt one of the Great Danes?

1. city of sadness says:

This is so sad, I work for the city of Pittsburgh and we have found numerous dog fighting rings, dead dogs and ones that have been obviously mistreated worse than these have, the problem is every time we go to court the charges are thrown out or they are found not guilty! There is nothing to stop this so everyone might as well give up..I have!

1. Irish says:

To give up is letting them win,as an Animal Advocate myself had I and the rest of my group for stopcrush.org threw the towel in then the Bill 5566 would not have passed and been made a law so please DO NOT GIVE UP helping our animals,just saying!

2. Carrie W says:

City of Sadness – we CANNOT give up !!!! I understand it is frustrating but the more attn these stories get the closer we come to getting people involved. We need to fight for tougher animal abuse laws. Stay Strong

2. penny says:

The danes are under my care and are in foster homes and not available for adoption til after the court case is resolved. we will put your name and number on our list and contact people when they are ready for homes. thankyou

1. Paula Z says:

What is AAPI?

3. penny says:

These dogs are NOT with Great Dane rescue but are with AAPI and will remain with AAPI until the hearing is resolved. All donation go to AAPI PO BOX 72, PARKER,PA. 16049 and NOT to the great dane rescue.. This is AAPI Humane Officer. thank you!

2. Bill says:

That is so unfair for the K9’s. The featured one looks emaciated and sad.

3. Mary Crossley says:

I live in DuBois or I would adopt one of these dogs! Breaks my heart!

4. William Kerr says:

Publish the woman’s name! She deserves public humiliation and worse!

1. Irish says:

Aye William,I concur!

5. Hank Devigne says:

and all she could say was, “Why are you taking my dogs?” Oh, that’s real class for an addict. She deserves a swift, …never mind.

6. Carolyn says:

This brought tears to my eyes. I am so against animal cruelty. I hope there are people who can give them all real love like they deserve.

1. Martin Healey says:

you can go to: http://www.pennsylvania-dane-rescue.org, which is the organization that is taking responsibility to rescue, care for, and foster the dogs until they are well enough to be adopted into new homes… we can always use help… please go to out website to check in on the dogs as well as donate to help with their care….

1. Dana Molinaro-Nulph says:

Rembier Farms, a small rescue in Kittanning, also assisted with this rescue.

7. Carrie W says:

This woman BEST not get just a slap on the wrist and a small fine. Someone so evil and heartless deserves to do jail time.
    I’m hoping with the help of the media and animal lovers, this gets the attention of our law makers – we MUST fight for harder penalties for animal abuse.

8. Penny says:

maybe its cat lady, you know the one that had tiger ranch

1. Black Cat says:

Get over the Cat Lady already!

2. Information Man says:

Nah, it’s Barbara L. Grey (unlicensed kennel)Grey Castle Danes

1. Black Cat says:

Thanks “Info Man”.

9. Terry Boots says:

I’m willing to lock the owner in my basement without food until she looks like that poor dog.

10. John says:

What a pig of a woman. The punishment that people get for this crime is obviously not working. People just aren’t getting the message that this is not acceptable. It’s time to change how these people are punished!

11. Gretchen says:

That hurts my heart to read yet another story where animals suffer and die. We have a responsibility to care for our family, friends and pets. The laws need to be more harsh in animal cruelty cases. The people who are responsible for such inhumane and horrid acts needs to be punished. I pray the dogs that did survive will find loving homes.

12. Yup says:

I swear I have never seen so much animal cruelty anywhere like I see it in Western PA. These people are disgusting. As someone mentioned earlier – most accusations get thrown out? Why even have “animal cruelty” charges then? If someone is this cruel to an innocent animal, think what they could (or have done to) a child? An elderly parent? Something is not right with these people, they are either sick with a need for power over something because they are usually not considered a “leader” in their every day endevours and this makes them feel in control, or they just have no compassion. A sociopath maybe? No feelings of remorse or guilt? These types of people need locked up and treated.

13. Anon says:

I agree with William Kerr and Terry Boots. The dogs in our family are treated with the love and respect they deserve. This woman should be made to suffer the same mistreatment as her dogs did.

14. Andrea says:

I live in Armstrong County and our paper lists the person as Barbara Grey. Her name should be published. When is someone going to take and punish these type of people to such an extent that they would never consider owning an animal again nor should they be allowed. I think she should be chained up and starved to death. I believe in “an eye for an eye” whether it be human or animal.

15. Seeking balance says:

The really sad thing is people probably knew she had these dogs, and someone saw things….which FINALLY led up to the hang up call to 911, but WHY let it go on this long??? Also, if you SEE animal cruelty, AGREE TO BE A WITNESS. The fines are a JOKE, but sometimes (depending on the judge) they can add up if multiple charges (neglect, abuse/abandonment). This is happening more and more often during these trying times, but if you can’t afford to feed them TAKE THEM TO A SHELTER. Euthanasia is MUCH more humane than starving a dog to death!!!

16. Great Dane Owner says:

This is absolutly HEART breaking, I have a 16 MOnth old Blue Great Dane and she is the most lovable thing… It SICKENS me that there are people in this world that do this kind of stuff to a living animal.

Put a collar on her and leave her with no food and water and see how she likes it!!!!!

17. doglover131 says:

You people amaze me, quit yelling about how awful this is on a KDKA website. Im sure a senator will be sitting at home in HARRISBURG mind you wondering whats happening Armstrong County, or better yet on KDKA. I am a strong supporter of making this woman starve to death as punishment for what she did to thesedogs, however, as city of sadness wrote this case will either get plead down or thrown out in court. If you want to make a true difference protest in front of the court house on her court date, call cnn, and humiliate our law makers. Hell the only reason they cracked down on puppy mills here was do to the fact that Opera did a story about it on her show, and specifically named PA. Crying on here will not fix these horrific events from happening, be proactive about it. Also remember Gov. Corbett is cutting state funding and the budget as well. He’s cut education, whats to stop him from sending funds to Human Agents that go out daily to put an end to something like this. Think about it, this will only get worse before it gets better!

1. carol says:

2. Irish says:

Protesting is good but also public humiliation as well!

18. FedUp says:

Publish the owner’s name . . .and give me five minutes with her.

19. Mommy says:

I hope the love & respect you all are showing towards these animals will be extended to the treatment of children, especially the unborn. It is awful to see how these dogs have been abused, yet some of the biggest animal rights proponets are also huge supporters of abortion on demand.

Please realize that every living creature is a creation of God’s and therefore deserves our love, care, and respect

20. carol says:

21. CHRIS says:

SICK SICK! My heart is just broken..First of all i have 6 horses 3 dogs 5 cows and 5 barn cats! AND They all get feed before I do!!!!! and there is ALWAYS FOOD IN FRONT OF THEM!!! Just sick ! and she said she didnt see a problem!!! HELLO>>>>>>STARVE HER!!!

22. CJ says:

We have a beautiful purebred female Dane at home, and we love her to pieces. I cannot fathom someone treating these beautiful, noble animals in such a manner. Please let me know if it’s possible for someone out of state to adopt one of these dogs.

23. An animal lover says:

“If you have men who will exclude any of God’s creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who deal likewise with their fellow men.”

– Saint Francis of Assisi

24. VERONICA says:

25. chris says:

put her on a street corner with a placard,saying:i abuse animals.public humiliation works well too.i hope she never has a animal for a pet again,not even a hamster.

26. Mom of Dane says:

OMG, chain her to the wall and let her starve to death! I am in GA and have a deaf Dane who was abused by previous owners. She is an absolute sweetheart. Wish I lived closer – I’d gladly take another Dane.

27. chris says:

we’ve someone on our street that puts their young male cat out in the rain and snow and cold.my cats are strictly indoor.the next time this cat is outin the rain or cold,i’m either taking it upstairs to one of our rooms to be warm or calling our vet.the humane society is full.this cat is lovable too,not fixed.i would keep it,but i’ve a male older cat,they wouldn’t get along.i think its horrible to put a cat or dog out in this weather.would people put their kids out in this weather?

28. luvalldogs says:

horrible horrible, what is wrong with people, our animals have so much trust in us to take care of them , for these poor dogs to be left to fend for themselves,not to mention as well as them being chain to a wall,this women deserves that same treatment..karma is karma..

29. Juana says:

The homeowner needs to be starved and then slowly tortured to death.

30. kristy says:

i hope everyone here who’s complaining will step up and help when they witness an animal being abused, neglected, or mistreated.

mommy – get a life. this article has nothing to do with kids, so get off your high horse. yeah, i’m pro-choice. got a problem with that?

1. Mommy says:

So you value the life of animals over that of humans?

Perhaps YOU are the one who should get a life. I suggest you reevaluate your “pro-choice” position & your priorities. Babies are not choices.

1. Roger77 says:

Mommy, shouldn’t be out there helping all these more “deserving” people instead of wasting your valuable time commenting on “worthless” animals???

2. kristy says:

yes, when it comes to some humans like this owner, i do value an animal’s life over theirs. no, per your suggestion, i will not reevaluate my pro-choice position and priorities. deal with it, lady. perhaps you should foster and/or adopt these unwanted babies, hmmm?

31. Debbie says:

alsolutely unbelievable. This idiot woman and her attorney are disputing what the state police and humane officers have found. What does she need an attorney for,she is guilty as sin

32. joyce says:

she has to be crazy herself. i wonder how she would love to be treated the same way. why even have animals if you really could care less.

33. Roger77 says:

It never fails!! Every time there is a story about animals being abused there is always the usual idiot bringing up abortion!! How stupid would I look if I bring animal abuse up in a chat room about abortion?? You people that are so concerned about the “unborn” should be more worried about the millions of unwanted kids already in this world who are abused, assalted and killed every day! And you worry about bringing some more unwanted kids so that they can face the same horrible faith?? Lady, the world is not a fairy and most of these unwanted babies will not get adopted by loving parents and will probably spend the rest of their lives wishing they were never born!!! So, if you can’t feel sorry for an helpless, pure creature like a dog, then don’t give us that cr### on how concerned you are about “unborn babies”!! Lets do something to help the animals and people who are suffering at this moment and THEN we start worrying about the “unborn”!!

1. Renee says:

very well said!

2. kristy says:

you tell her, roger!

34. Renee says:

barb grey is the owner of Golden Scissors–a hair salon in numine, pa. it is in the subway plaza. NO ONE SHOULD GIVE HER BUSINESS!!!! she is still going to her shop and acting as if nothing is wrong. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE HER BUSINESS….

1. Tim Raymond says:

Great idea, also publish her picture in the newspaper. What a bit&h.

Mad gramma

35. Truly Upset says:

why are people arguing on here? there is one person who has done something wrong and no she should not starve to death but they should put her in jail and make her pay a fine for torturing these poors dogs. Its a heck of a lot more money than a little bit of dog food she could have been buying. I have met this woman and I have never enjoyed her company. She is rude and thinks only of herself. I also know some of the people around her and I am really confused on why they thought that these dogs were healthy.

36. Seeking balance says:

I think the fines for animal cruelty/neglect should be increased. This would help with the care of said animals. How anyone could have watched these animals waste away and take THAT long to make a call is beyond me!! I’m just glad someone FINALLY called.

Still confused on the abortion debate being brought in though (apples/oranges type thing). Only thing that is relative with animals in children in THIS type of discussion is if you see abuse/neglect – REPORT IT AND BE WILLING TO BE A WITNESS!!

37. penny says:

reform pa. humane enforcement is having workshops to explain how we are trying to get a bill passed that will change the current pa. laws, go to amendpahumaneenforcement website and see how you can make a difference!

38. penny says:

I am humane officer that siezed the great danes. i want to clear up a confusing issue. ALl donations are to go to AAPI, PO BOX 72, PARKER, PA. 16049.
    i am responsible for these dogs until the court hearing. All funds will go directly into escrow account for these dogs and dispersed as needed. I asked the Great Dane Rescue to help with fostering these animals, because they are dane oriented, and after the court gives me legal ownership then the dogs can be placed for adoption by the Great Dane rescue. Until then the dogs are under my care and all others are helping for the love of the animals. I hope this clears up any confusion about the funds for these dogs. Thank you all for your donations and support!

1. PENNY says:

as of today all dogs have been removed from the great dane rescue and are NOT being cared for by them . Please do NOT forward any funds to dane rescue! they can be sent to AAPI PO BOX 72, PARKER,PA. 16049 THANKYOU

1. Carrie W says:

Penny, thank you for all the information you have submitted regarding where to send donations, and the website ((amendpahumaneenforcement) to plead for stricter law enforcement for animal abuse. And thank you for going in to rescue these gentle giants from this evil heartless woman. If you need another foster home, i will volunteer to foster one or two of these beauties. Please contact me

39. MsPittsburgh says:

I really hope this woman goes to jail for a long long time….this story is very disturbing

40. Rescue Me Tugz says:

PLEASE only make donations to APPI. You can mail a donation or they do have a paypal account set up.

41. For their big hearts says:

I was physically assaulted and threatened at gunpoint when I witnessed and STEPPED IN to stop a person who was mercilessly beating a dog, but I saved the dog. Anyone who witnesses abuse, and does not intervene is as much a part of the abuse as the abuser. I am all for an eye for an eye on this one, and I would GLADLY do it again. These animals are like children; they trust us and depend on us for their welfare. Anyone who beats,abuses,or starves an animal should get the exact same treatment in the exact same conditions.

42. Pet lover says:

Sad, should tie this guy up and skin him ! anyways I love animals more then humans sooo rather see the owners in that position any day

43. sue says:

if you need more foster homes I’d be willing to foster one of the great danes fron the cruelty case.

Comments are closed.