This week, Chef Bill Fuller, of the big Burrito Group, is having some fun in the kitchen cooking up sea scallops, pork, rice cake noodles and something called Korean Red Dragon Sauce!
Scallops with Braised Pork and Rice Cake Noodles in Red Dragon Sauce
Braised Garlic-Pineapple Pork Butt
16 ea. Large sea scallops
3-4 Tbs. Whole butter
1 Bag rice cake noodles
2 Tbs. Neutral oil (soybean or peanut)
2 Tbs. Minced fresh ginger
2 Tbs. Minced garlic
4 heads Baby bok choy, split
1 C. Red Rocket Sauce
2 Tbs. Whole butter
3 ea. Scallions, thinly sliced
Segments of 1 lemon
1. Make Braised Garlic-Pineapple Pork Butt.
2. Marinate Scallops in Miso Marinade for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Heat Cast iron pan over medium heat. Add butter and rice cake noodles. Brown rice cake noodles slowly until crispy.
4. Simultaneously, heat a large skillet or wok until hot, add soybean oil.
5. Add fresh ginger and minced garlic. Immediately add bok choi, 2 C. Braised Garlic-Pineapple Pork Butt and 1 C. Red Rocket Sauce.
6. Add rice cake noodles and simmer.
7. Return skillet to high heat. When hot add scallops and allow to sear well on first side before turning.
8. Place noodle-pork mixture into bowls. Top with scallops.
9. Sprinkle with scallions and lemon segments. Zest lemon over the dish.
½ C. White miso
1 tsp. Soy sauce
½ C. Mirin
Braised Garlic-Pineapple Pork Butt:
1 ea. 3-4# piece pork butt (shoulder
Salt and pepper
2 C. Pineapple juice
4 ea. Heads garlic, split across
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Season all sides of butt generously with salt and pepper. Place in roasting pan, fat side up.
3. Roast in oven for about an hour.
4. Add pineapple juice and garlic. Cover tightly with foil.
5. Reduce oven to 325°.
6. Place pork back in the oven and cook for 7-8 hours.
7. Remove, allow to cool.
8. Place in refrigerator to cool completely. After, dice into 1” chunks.
Red Rocket Sauce
1 Tbs. neutral oil
½ C. Ssamjang
½ C. Gojujang
½ C. Brown sugar
2 Tbs. Sesame oil
1 Tbs. Sherry vinegar
¼ C. Soy sauce
2 C. Water (or to taste)
1. Heat oil in wide skillet. Add ssamjang and gojujang and stirfry until aromatic.
2. Add brown sugar and allow to caramelize.
3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.