PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Winter’s almost over and that means potholes are popping up all over the place.

Road crews are having a hard time keeping up. They’re taking advantage of all the nice weather days to patch as many as possible.

But there are many that need to be filled and can cause serious damage to a car.

If your car is damaged by a pothole, you should immediately file a claim with your insurance and with the state, county or city, depending on who owns the road.

“We will take any claims that normally are our responsibility, but normally we don’t pay for tires,” Angelo Pampena, of PennDOT, said.

Generally, to collect a claim you have to prove the owner of the road had prior knowledge of the pothole and didn’t fix it in a reasonable time.

That means, if you see a pothole, report it. In Pittsburgh, call 311. If it’s a state road or you aren’t sure who owns the road, call 1-800-FIX-ROADS.

City of Pittsburgh: Report A Pothole
PennDOT: Customer Care

Watch & Listen LIVE