Penn State QB Bolden’s Status Remains Unclear
STATE COLLEGE (KDKA) – Rob Bolden, the former starting quarterback for Penn State, will be participating in spring drills on Saturday, according to our news partner the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
However, his future with the Nittany Lions remains unclear.
Bolden said he is feeling out his coaches and waiting to see how spring practice goes before he makes a decision on whether to stay or go.
Last year, the freshman started the season as the Nittany Lions’ quarterback, but finished the season on the bench after sustaining a concussion during the season.
When Bolden was ready to return to the field, Penn State coach Joe Paterno decided to keep him on the sideline and finish the season with walk-on QB Matt McGloin.
During Penn State’s appearance in the Outback Bowl against the Florida Gators, McGloin threw five interceptions. But Paterno did not take him out during any point of the game.
That decision not to replace McGloin did not sit well with Bolden and following the game, he said he wanted to leave Penn State.
As a scholarship player, Penn State holds his rights and if Bolden were to transfer without receiving approval from Paterno, he would have to pay for school.
Bolden and McGloin will be competing for the starting quarterback job along with red-shirt freshman Paul Jones and junior Kevin Newsome.