South Side Pickle Barrel Damaged By Fire

SOUTH SIDE (KDKA) — A popular South Side restaurant was damaged in a Tuesday night fire and the owner is not optimistic about reopening.

The fire started at the Pickle Barrel in the 1300-block of East Carson Street around 8 p.m. The restaurant was closed at the time.

On Wednesday, the fire rekindled around 5:30 a.m.

Six people living in apartments upstairs from the business are being helped by the Red Cross. They were not home when the fire started.

“When the first companies arrived, they found some fire showing on the side of the building on 13th Street, just above the door near the air conditioning unit,” Pittsburgh Deputy Fire Chief Harry Scherer said.

Firefighters said it appears the fire started in the kitchen area.

“And the most char is evident there and there was some evidence of fire extension traveling above a tin ceiling in that same general area,” he said.

The Pickle Barrel had closed around 7 p.m.

“Everybody got out of the building,” George Marszalek, a restaurant volunteer, said. “It was actually a quiet day. It’s a shame too – 44 years on the South Side in the same location, offering the same menu.”

No one was hurt. Three alarms were sounded because of the size of the building.

Scott Davis, the owner, said this was the final straw and he doesn’t expect to rebuild. He does not have insurance on the equipment.

RELATED LINKS

More South Side News
More Local News
Pittsburgh Bureau Of Fire

Comments

1. Greg Marcinko says:

Scott Davis (owner) is a great guy that has ran a great business for many years. His huge heart and incredibly friendly demeanor made Pickle Barrel a great place to congregate with great people and good, reasonably priced food. The restaurant will certainly be missed and several patrons will have to find other places to shoot the breeze with their pals.

Please contact me at gmarcink2004@hotmail.com or visit the Facebook group “Support the Pickle Barrel” if you are interested in supporting our efforts in aiding Scott in the rebuilding of what he has worked so hard for.

Greg, South Side resident

1. Vlasic Dill says:

“….support your efforts in aiding Scott in the rebuilding of what he has worked so hard for.” Are you nuts? He mustn’t have appreciated what he worked for since he did not have insurance.

He’s a great guy? Are you nuts? Why in the hell should anyone GIVE him money? Did he GIVE away any free food? He needs to pick himself up by his own bootstraps. Ahhh, the price of poor management and not having insurance.

Tell me when to start feeling sorry for an idiot who doesn’t have insurance.

1. Guest says:

You Vlasic are a real Jagoff. If you don’t want to help that’s your choice. No need to be badmouthing the guy. Keep your nasty comments to yourself.

2. Yup says:

For real Vlasic – some people are good humans and like to help out others. Having a place to go eat sometimes is what he did. Why should you be entitled to free food? It’s a business, they don’t give things away. But they do make a community so that should be enough you ungrateful prick.

2. Yup says:

I love that place, let’s help rebuild! It’s nice to have a place to go to that’s not a bar! If they close for good, some jerk will just buy it and build a bar. Don’t let the Pickle Barrel die!

I’ve noticed Pittsburghers will often jump on something once it’s threatened of being taken away. The inclines, Igloo, etc. Get on this!

3. Roxy Beer says:

It is sad in some ways to see it go, but the food was not that great.
    I have spent many days there over the years though. He should have had insurance.

O’Learys on Carson has great breakfast!!! I just wish they had more seating.

4. RALPH DAVIS says:

OBVIOUSLY”DILL” DOES NOT OPERATE A SMALL BUSINESS.I’VE BEEN IN BUSINESS COMING ON 20 YEARS.WE’VE HAVE NEVER STRUGGLED FINANCIALY.AS WE’VE HAD RECENTLY.T0 KEEP PEOPLE EMPLOYED OUR
    CUSTOMERS SATISFIED AND CAPITAL ON HAND.THE ECONOMY IS VERY TOUGH ON SMALL BUSINESS RIGHT NOW. SCOTT IS MY BROTHER,HE IS DEDICATED TO HIS WIFE, SCHOOL AGED CHILDREN AND HIS CUSTOMERS. THE “PICKLE BARRELL” IS THERE SOLE SOURCE OF INCOME.IF SCOTT LET HIS INSURANCE LAPST,HE HAD TO.IT WAS A SACRIFICE THAT HAD TO BE. THAT
    DOESN’T MAKE HIM AN IDIOT,UNLIKE THE IDIOT THAT POST COMMENTS, THAT
    ARE NOT VALID.

1. Hoss says:

Ralph, your brother should thank his lucky stars that no one in the apartments above his restaurant was hurt due to this fire. If the fire dept investigation finds the source of the fire to be grease buildup in the kitchen vent ducts or a deficient electrical system (both likely present since he didn’t care to have insurance he probably didn’t pay to maintain the place) he could be held responsible for all damages to the building, and the tenant’s belongings. Any injuries or deaths due to the fire would also have been his responsibility. Again, very lucky.

5. Record Keeper says:

I loved the Pickle Barrel. Good Stuff!

6. RALPH DAVIS says:

I JUST LEFT THERE.HE DID HAVE A GREASE FIRE,ON FATHERS DAY 2008, IT WAS SMALL BUT,IT TAUGHT HIM A VERY GOOD LESSON.SINCE THEN,HE HAS BEEN VERY ADAMANT ABOUT THE GREASE.IT APPEARS THE FIRE STARTED IN THE BACK OF THE RESTURANT,NEAR THE OFFICE.FAR FROM THE GRILLE.THE OWNER OF THE BUILDING TOLD ME T HAT , THE APARTMENTS
    WERE FINE AFTER THE (ORIGINAL) FIRE.. WASH WALLS,VENTILATE,ECT.
    THEN THE FIRE REKINDLED AT 5AM AND DESTROYED THE UPSTAIRS APTS.
    I WITNESSED THE OUTPOURING OF PGH.PEOPLE,WHILE I WAS THERE .
    PEOPLE OFFERING MONEY(WHICH HE WOULDN’T TAKE) JOBS,AND WHEN I WAS LEAVING I WITNESSED A GUY LOADING GROCERIES INTO HIS VEHILCE.
    BUT,YOUR RIGHT…LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!

1. Whoa says:

Dude, I’m glad you’re gun-ho about this but stop used caps lock for the love of God! Makes you look dumb and I’m invisioning you freaking out foaming at the mouth.

1. Gabby says:

Never mind the fact there will most likely be some sort of investigation into what really happened and what/who is to blame for this fire So, until then, you’d be helping your brother out by STFUing and not speculating what did or didn’t happen…. just a thought.

7. Jack says:

I’ve never been in the place, but I’ve heard good things from people who have. If people want to help, it’s great. If you don’t, it’s your right. But don’t criticize those who want to offer assistance. Besides, someday it could be you. I happened to be down there the other night and I felt the community spirit that is growing. It felt good.

8. Scott says:

Original. my Grandma uese to take me there.Hope Scott does rebuild. And thrive.
    Disreguard the jag comment above. Some people are juist unreal anymore. Good luck Scott

9. Terri says:

I too, have eaten there. It was not very good although it was cheap. I do have to say that the place was filthy and that is why I never returned. Not to mention we were made to feel very “out of place” like we didn’t belong because we were not from the neighborhood. I’m sorry for his loss but not really sorry that the place is gone. Let someone else rebuild who will maintain the building properly and hopefully put a descent restaurant in it’s place.

1. FixPGH says:

Just because it wasn’t “new” doesn’t mean it was filthy. And you’re the only one that made yourself feel out of place, it was all in your head.

10. Bob McBob says:

It’ll probably wind up becoming yet another damned bar.

11. Brad says:

1. Why is the guy typing in caps.. It feels like I am being yelled at.
    2. If he owns a business, I’m assuming a basic grasp on the English language was not a prerequisite.
    3. Ha! You all said “pickle”.

But seriously, the place was dirty, fires just don’t materialize, then restart by magic. Even “spontaneous combustion” is due to mixing of gases, that typically means certain items were not properly stored.
    If the guy couldn’t afford insurance, I truly feel bad, but for all the support this guy has now, why didn’t you people support him when he was in business? Then he wouldn’t need charity work now.

12. Zack - Southside resident says:

No insurance. Absolutely amazing to me, but I think this is more typical in Pittsburgh than most people think. I moved here from Chicago last year, and have noticed how hap-hazzardly things are done when it comes to running businesses here, especially on the Southside. Nothing against the character of this man, but he is obviously a very foolish and careless business owner. Hopefully the building owner had insurance.

13. Greed rules says:

No insurance?

Total disregard and very poor management driven by greed. How is it that other businesses manage to operate with insurance?

What would he have done should anyone have been injured?

14. Ralph Davis says:

I was just informed about “cap sensitve texting”.Duh! forgive me.

15. kristen says:

i loved the pickle barrel scott was a very nice guy and he will b truly missed by alot of people his food was great and stop bad mouthing people keep your opinions to yourself i will do anything to help scott out yes he was going thought bad times doesnt everyone give the man a break he just lost everything lay off he is a dear friens and we live you scott everyone in southside wants you to rebuild plenty of different places available in the southside we all know you need time and we know you will be back to southside with a new pickle barrel WE LOVE YOU SCOTT

16. k says:

so sorry for your bro lose we will do anything to help scott out

Comments are closed.