Couple: Leland Point Apartment Infested With Roaches

BALDWIN (KDKA) — A local couple moved out of their apartment after they say it became infested with cockroaches.

Now the Allegheny County Health Department is getting involved.

Joshua Murphy, 22, and 18-year-old Kasey Robison moved out of their apartment at Leland Point last Saturday because of the roaches.

“It’s disgusting, I never thought in my life I would live with cockroaches,” she said. “One night I was just sitting there, I drank my juice and I drank a cockroach. It was just in – I almost puked.”

The couple has temporarily moved in with Robison’s mother in New Brighton.

Leland Point is the former Green Meadows apartment development and last summer the Allegheny County District Attorney filed a criminal complaint against the owners because of the living conditions and an upsurge in crime.

Murphy says they want their security deposit back and they want out of their lease because they’ve been forced to move out.

He said the managers told him the cockroach problem may not be resolved until next month.

Dr. Bruce Dixon, director of the county health department, said the department will work with officials at Leland Point to try to curtail the infestation of cockroaches.

RELATED LINKS

More Local News
More Reports By Ralph Iannotti
Allegheny County Health Department

Comments

1. jim says:

correct redrock.

Section 8 has done the old Courts in.

I grew up near colewwood and when I was a kid, they were decent. Now they are boarded up.

2. JJ says:

You need to be sent back to grammar school moron. You’re so stupid you don’t know the difference between there and their.

3. EWWWWWWWW says:

Sounds just like Carriage Park Apartments they are also infected as well as Bed Bugs and rats.

4. so fed up says:

MAYBE THE OWNERS ARE SLUMLORDS SUCKING UP GOVERNMENT MONEY FOR SUBSTANDARD HOUSING! PREYING ON SECTION 8 TENANTS WHO CANNOT AFFORD TO LIVE ANYWHERE ELSE! THE OWNERS AS WELL AS TENANTS SHARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF TAKING CARE OF THE PROPERTY! DON’T BLAME IT ALL ON SECTION 8 TENANTS!

1. Ken says:

Owners don’t cause condition which breeds roaches, tenants do. Dripping pipes, bad roof, etc….owners…..dirty conditions….tenants.

5. AJ says:

Dear Redrock, I mean Redneck…Boons? I bet there is more white trash there. How long have been in US? We are an equal land now. Go back down south where the roaches are big as your head and then keep talking.

6. Ken says:

It’s true. How many times are section 8 houses/apts in disrepair? It’s because (most) the occupants don’t have pride in keeping it up/clean beause they haven’t invested into the value of the building.

7. Luke R says:

I hear they are moving the tenants out to Cranberry.

8. The Doctor says:

SIDESHOW – First off, Prospect Park is where war thorn foreigners live and not Green Ghetto’s. Second, most of those foreigners got educated and became succesful business people in this area, yet idiots like you still bash them.
    And lastly, I can guarantee you that your last name stems from the same European countries as the foreigners you are referring to, you uneducated moron!

9. twowords says:

I have two words for you: MILLVALE & LAWRENCEVILLE. I’m sure thats where you live.

1. pmo says:

millvale and lawrenceville are two formerly decent places now being destroyed by the section 8 crowd. please get ur facts straight.

1. Kate says:

add Swissvale to that mix!

10. eazytime says:

It is common knowledge that people who are 3rd & 4th generation welfare, food stamps and whatever else free social programs they can capture have no pride or even knowledge of how to act like a human being. It’s just not in their genes. Throw them all out, burn it to the ground and turn it into a park, all the local residents will benefit. Sorry to the 5 police officers who probably would get laid off.

11. critter says:

its the residents .not the management. all pigs

12. demi says:

been livin here for seven years havent seen a roach yet, there are alot of trashy people up here true ,but you cant blame the owners for the most part they maintain the area where i live very well , nasty people bring filth with them , im pretty sure these young kids couldnt afford the rent when the moved in and just needed a plce to shack up together because mommy wouldnt allow it(ive seen it happen plenty of time over the years of me being here)might wanna check mommies crib out , that probally where the roaches orinated from, so leland point please give these young broke leaches back their security deposit, so we will have on less trashy family to deal with

Comments are closed.