Chef Bill Fuller: Mahi Pibil, Habanero-Pickled Red Onions, Mango Pico Di Gallo
This week, Chef Bill Fuller, of the big Burrito Group, stops by Pittsburgh Today Live with a recipe inspired by the new restaurant Mad Mex, which opened earlier this week in Shadyside.
Mahi Pibil, Habanero-pickled Red Onions, Mango Pico di Gallo
This dish derives from Cocinita Pibil, a traditional Yucatecan dish in which a small pig is marinated in a marinade of sour orange, achiote seed, mixture, wrapped in banana leaves, and roasted in a pit until the flavors permeate the meat and make a delicious red sauce. It is traditionally served with pico di gallo and pickled red onions. In this recipe, I marinate mahi filets in the spice mixture, wrap them in banana leaves and steam them on a bamboo steamer. Served with steamed rice and a mango pico di gallo, it is an easy dish.
4 ea. 6 oz Mahi filets (or other steak fish)
1 ea. Package of banana leaves
Steamed Jasmine Rice
Habanero-Pickled Red Onion
Mango Pico di Gallo
1. Make Habanero-Pickled Red Onions.
2. Marinate mahi files in enough Pibil Marinade to coat well. Wrap each piece in bamboo leaf and tie closed.
3. Start rice, set up steamer.
4. Make pico.
5. Place mahi packets in steamer. Cook for about 20 minutes or until fish is tender.
6. Remove to plate. Open packet by cutting ties.
7. Serve with rice, pickles, and mango pico.
¼ C. Ground achiote seeds (annatto seeds)
1 Tbs. Mexican oregano
2 tsp. Ground cumin
2 tsp. Black peppercorn
½ tsp Allspice
1 ½ Tbs. Coriander seed
1 tsp. Cinnamon
25 ea. Cloves garlic
¼ C. White vinegar
2 ea. Habaneros, de-seeded and minced
1 C. Orange juice
½ C. Lime juice
3 Tbs. Salt
1 Tbs. Ground black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in blender. Puree well
Habanero-Pickled Red Onions
1 ea. Red onion, peeled and sliced
½ tsp Ground black peper
½ tsp. Ground cumin
1 tsp. Mexican oregano
½ tsp. Salt
2 ea. Peeled garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 ea. Habanero chili, de-seeded and minced small
About ¼ C. Cider vinegar
1. Blanch onion slices for 45 seconds, drain, rinse with cold water, drain well. Place onions in a medium-size bowl.
2. Add spices, garlic, and chili.
3. Add enough cider vinegar to barely cover. Toss well and allow to marinate fpor ½ hour.
Mango Pico di Gallo
1 C. Diced ripe mangos
2 ea. Scallions, sliced thinly into rings
1 cloves Garlic, chopped
Juice of 1 limes
1 Tbs. Extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Black pepper
2 Tbs. Cilantro, Chopped
1. Combine all ingredients.
2. Adjust seasonings.