Pittsburghers Head To Harrisburg For Budget Rally

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Pittsburghers boarded buses headed for Harrisburg to protest Gov. Tom Corbett’s budget cuts Tuesday morning.

About 1,000 people boarded 12 buses in order to participate in the CLEAR Coalition Lobby and Rally Day.

Organizers said they want to put a human face on the budget cuts coming out of Harrisburg.

Gov. Corbett’s spending plan includes cuts in education from $5.8 billion to $5.3 billion, which is affecting budgets in local school districts.

As a result, some full day kindergarten will be forced to reduce to only half-day. In addition, educators could be furloughed.

A pre-trip rally was held outside the United Steel Workers’ headquarters before people boarded the buses.

A total of 134 buses across the state are expected to converge on Harrisburg.

Stay With KDKA.com For More Details

RELATED LINKS

More Local News
More Education News
More Reports From Ross Guidotti
Gov. Tom Corbett

Comments

1. Morons says:

You morons wanted a republican…..What did you think he would do ?….Put a car in every garage and a chicken in every pot ? Enjoy !

1. George says:

You are absolutely correct!!!! The voters ‘punished’ those Democrats by shooting themselves in the foot

2. KLC says:

I don’t think the ones on the buses are the morons. I think those on the buses are actually the people that voted the other way to try to prevent what is happening now. The morons are the ones that made the mistake and are now sitting around complaining about it and doing nothing.

3. JD says:

I went to half-day kindergarten and I didn’t turn off so bad.

4. JD says:

I meant out…

5. Thomas J Duttine says:

Everyone wants to cut spending, except what hurts them…..CUT WASTE FIRST…then WELFARE and MEDICAID…Then anything else!

6. 1-2-3 says:

They will be the first to complain when taxes need to be raised, Rendell caused the problem but nobody wants the cuts to effect them. I don’t see anyone coming up with solutions just complaining. The bus will probably stop at the casino so the morons can lose there SS and pensions checks.

1. KT says:

Those morons you are talking about on the bus are supporters of a better education for our children. I think you are the moron!!!

1. Luke R says:

What’s your solution, raise taxes, a-hole

7. One small voice says:

I guess none of them work, so they have time to complain. Must be getting free money from Government entitlements while the rest of us bust our a$$ working to support them.

8. L. Dishong says:

This is what happens when you vote for Republicans !!!!! Enough said.

9. doug shymoniak says:

I love the stupidity of you democrats. Do a little research before you make a post that you nothing about. Corbett budgeted the same amount of money for K-12 that was budgeted in 2008 – which is more than what the state gave in 09 & 10. The difference is that in 09 & 10 they received stimulus money. The schools were informed not to budget the stimulus funds as they would be no longer available.

Morons

1. Just Saying... says:

…BOOM!

10. Eric Z says:

Are you all stupid! School administrators and teachers have been getting paid to much money for the education our children have been receiving. It’s about time for school vouchers. Then we can take our children to a school our choice where they can get taught by teachers that want kinds to learn, not ones that are waiting for summer vacation or retirement!!! wake up and realize that the democrats have been in the pocket of the teachers union for years and have been shoveling our tax dollars at them like there is now tomorrow, now is tomorrow! deal with it!!!

1. KT says:

Look who needs an education!!! You may want to check your spelling!!!!
      You may also want to do some research on vouchers and teacher’s salaries before you comment. I think you may be the stupid one!!!

11. Liberal Lover says:

Look at how the above look and dress–it looks like a Woodstock Reunion 45 years later. They picked up a few tokens along the way.

Tom, don’t cut their goodies from the budget–they might have to get up early every morning and (GASP) work!

Why are not these same people protesting at the casinos or the gas pump? Oh, because Obama saiys you bettah recognizzzzzze!

12. HIRING PROTESTERS says:

I WISH I COULD PIN POINT THE EXACT DAY BUT THERE WAS A HELP WANTED AD HIRING PROTESTERS FOR THIS IF YOU GO BACK A WEEK OR TWO YO WILL SEE THE AD.
    I’M NOT CONVINCED AFTER SEEING THIS AD THAT THERE IS SUCH A LARGE MAJORITY PROTESTING AND THAT I KNOW PEOPLE WERE HIRED FOR THIS PAID FOR WITH POLITICAL MONEY.
    IT HAS TAKEN OVER 2 YEARS FOR OBAMA TO START TO DO ANYTHING EXCEPT TO PASS A HEALTH CARE BILL THAT THE MAJORITY DOESN’T WANT.
    ALTHOUGH HE DID FINALLY SHOW HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE AFTER 2 + YEARS
    AND HE DID GET BIN LADEN ON HIS WATCH ALTHOUGH AS A SENATOR HE WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS, THE COUNTRY IS IN SERIOUS DEBT.
    3 YEARS OF A DEMOCRAT ( C ) MAJORITY IN BOTH HOUSES AND OBAMA (C)
    FOR 2 YEARS.
    ALSO REMEMBER THERE IS STILL A DEMOCRAT MAJORITY IN THE SENATE

13. Cannotpaygov.employees says:

Who paid for 12 buses? Who paid for the sign? Who paid for the rent a mob?

Who will pay for your property taxes when you no longer can afford them?

Not the Union< Only dues paying people wanted.

14. Liberal Livin Large says:

The following protest was brought to you by the working men and women of Pennsylvania. They work so that you don’t have to.

Instead, you can go protest, get yo hair did, couchwarm, and gets yours.

15. Irish Eyes says:

This problem was created by the Rendell administration, and, unfortuantely, Corbett has to clean up a mess. Of course people are going to see him as the bad guy because he has the “audacity” to cut expenses and attempt to save this sad state from yet another tax icnrease. If you recall, Rendell raised taxes as soon as he took office. Give the man a chance!

16. seppio says:

you idiots think that corbetts answer is cut fundung for social services and give tax incentives to corporations. if you knew your history the last tlme this budget ratio was done,cut services and raise police funding was adolp hitler. when they come for you who is going to stand up for your rights?what a bunch of wanna be rich ,fat punks. just plain stupid

17. Live Like A Lazy Liberal says:

Corporations hire people and make jobs–social services keep people at home and non-productive.

Common sense isn’t being taught in Harvard, eh?

18. YEP says:

Looks liike alot of REPUKIANS are posting comments.. Enjoy your corbert time, casue you dont have much of it republi-CONS

19. Mill Hunk says:

134 buses, what a waste of gas and energy. Paid protesters on way to Harrisburg to protest againist anything they are told to protest againist.

20. doug shymoniak says:

Dumb-o-crats….please read
    State education rankings released for 15th straight year, again show spending does not correlate with student results.

WASHINGTON, D.C.—A majority of students in American public schools failed to meet proficiency levels in fourth- and eighth-grade mathematics and reading, and SAT and ACT scores stagnated, despite decades-long increases in public-school spending, according to a new report by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC).

“The Report Card on American Education clearly shows there is no correlation between educational dollars spent and student achievement in our traditional public school system,” said Andrew T. LeFevre, author of the report and executive director of the Pennsylvania-based REACH Foundation. “At some point, state policymakers must ask themselves if more of the same is going to produce a different result.”

21. Irish Eyes says:

Republican or democrat – it doesn’t matter who you are when it comes to paying more taxes. I for one do NOT want to pay yet another tax because big government can’t say NO to anyone. Something has to give in this state, or we are going to continue to be taxed to death! I tip my hat to anyone who has the COURAGE to want to try and do what’s right for the majority of the constituents as a whole and not just a select few.

22. mike says:

Go Corbett! Get this state out of the mess that Gov Rendell left behind.

1. Cars says:

Don’t hold your breath,Mikey…….When is “El Corbo” gonna take all the state funded cars off of all the polititians like he “promised us ?? Wake Up Sheeple !!!

23. KLC says:

One Small Voice, I can assure you that the group I know on the buses are hard-working state employees who are using their precious and very well-deserved vacation or personal time to make this trip. As for all the other naysayers commenting on their purpose, they were not “paid” to make this trip nor told what to say. They are fighting for the benefits they deserve in order to work a job that is serving a mostly ungrateful public. I’ve seen the agenda for today as well. There will be no stopping at casinos.

1. One small voice says:

KLC- whats your solution to this financial crisis ?

24. Shockly says:

Hard working state employees, HAH, what an oxymoron.

25. Stop Gov. Entitlement says:

The US would not have a deficet when Bush left office that was made worse it the government entitlement programs would stop. They will not vote for that as it would effect them. They receive paid healthcare off of the backs of all of us hardworking tax paying citizens. Democrat, Repulican, or what ever party this should matter to all. They will be albe to cut massive spending by stopping all of these entitlements for themselves. Do you think they will vote to remove there entitlements that cost so much. They leave office and we are still providing them with healthcare. When have you been able to leave your job and have them continue your healthcare at no cost to you. Oh yeah we have cobra.

26. noraisesforgovworkers says:

I must be paying for a state holiday that no one in the private sector is ENTITLED to receive. More sick days, vacation days and I work for you but you pay me more than anyone in a private business gets day. I pay tax for your
    wage and I didn;t get a raise because of the economy and my insurance has risen to $2200 a year plus deductables and co pays It would only be fair that you live under this standard also.

27. docforjustice says:

Many of the people at this rally are hard-working home care workers caring for our grandparents and disabled, for a low wage and no benefits. One dream they have is that their children get a decent education so they don’t have to do the same. Corbett and the Republicans want to take that away. What kind of country do we want to be? We’re better than this.

28. Entitlement society going crazy says:

It is also hardworking people who pay taxes for these government salaries.
    When people are paid more than the average person in the school district
    something is wrong. Salaries for most Americans has not increased in much
    in the last couple of years. Govenment workers salaries need not increase.

29. entitlement society says:

It is also hardworking people who pay taxes for these government salaries.
    When people are paid more than the average person in the school district
    something is wrong. Salaries for most Americans has not increased in much
    in the last couple of years. Govenment workers salaries need not increase.

30. Jonas says:

School districts are not government, though they operate using taxpayer funding. I know of government positions that have been elminated or have had their wages frozen, but I have never heard of a school teacher taking concessions. Look at Bethel Park, they were on strike for 6 weeks becuase they didn’t want to pay for healthcare, and they wanted an annual pay increase. No other job gives employees guaranteed pay raises annually.

31. KLC says:

You must be confusing state workers with people like legislators and the govenor — the real makers of waste. Wake up. There are actual state workers out there just like you and me who get paid a regular wage and have regular benefits just like you and me. And when their job ends so do the benefits. Do some research. The only difference is they have to put up with a whining public who thinks they deserve to have their butts kissed just for being a lazy citizen. Every new administration that rolls into Harrisburg wants to make an example of the state worker.

32. I went....and PROUD OF IT! says:

I was one of the people on these buses.
    I WAS NOT PAID!!!!
    In fact I had to called off work to go and I don’t have personal time or vacation time to use. So that means I’m NOT getting paid!! (I may get fired but it’s worth it!)
    I have 2 jobs to try and keep my head a float, but I still sink. One job is non-union and the other is union. I have NO health insurance at either job. So for the people who say we have good jobs with benefits, and good wages think again! Just because I’m an union worker (and proud of it) at my one job, this doesn’t mean I’m a slacker. I work my butt off, union or no union!
    So to those who have no clue about us working class people, maybe you need to get off your high horse and look around to see who are the ones who really bust their butts to help and/or serve you in one way or another.
    We are people with families just like you. We have bills to pay just like you. We have elderly family members just like you, who need help or taken care of (which some of you will just put them in nursing homes because they are a burden to you). We have children just like you who need a good education. And some of us are fighting for (because some of us don’t have any) and/or to save our health insurance. I’m sure you on your high horses can’t understand because you have your money and insurance! Hope your high horse doesn’t run away or die…We are not all born with silver spoons, you know?…..
    You see, this is something WE truely believe in…. WE believe in better health insurance, better wages and better/higher EDUCATION for OUR children! What about you? Don’t you think you wouldn’t want all these for your childen? or grandchildren???

1. Stop Gov. Entitlement says:

I completely agree with you. AMEN to that.

33. Libs Rock says:

You believe in handouts and freebies!

1. I went....and PROUD OF IT! says:

Some people think or believe it’s ok not to tax big companies and/or give them tax breaks! Why?

I believe in hard working people who pay their fair share! Without cut backs!

I want my children and their children and their childrens, children to have a better life than I have ever did. Just as my parents and grandparents (and so on) wanted for me and family. There should never be cut backs on education, health insurance and/or wages!

I don’t know how some people believe that my child or even your child should be punished by taking away their deserved education!

What about your children?
      Do they have an education that they deserve?
      Do they have everything they want and more?
      Is it because they were born with a silver (or is it now a golden) spoon? Or was it your parents who worked hard busting their butts off to make sure you had what you needed?
      How do you think that happened?
      I’ll tell you one thing, IT WASN’T FROM CUT BACKS!!!!!!!!!! (Unless you are a corporate owner!)

34. Conclusion says:

The trip to Harrisburg was a waste of time, nothing was changed.

35. Ginger Herring says:

I bet all those calling people lazy liberals are just fine with giving corporations big tax breaks. You need to be ashamed of yourself. Only when it affects you in some way will you come to your senses. Many of those same people probably have been laid off. In fact, I spoke to one while she was on the bus and she was laid off last year. I can’t believe that people are so thoughtless as well as heartless. Many people who didn’t vote in the midterms or voted against their own self-interest are the ones to blame. Many of us work hard every day, but I still want my fellow man/woman to be able to eat, have a roof over their heads and have access to decent healthcare! Shut up and help somebody, that’s what we are here for anyway, unless someone told you diffeent!!!!!

1. Sick of your Stupidity says:

Why would you not give Corporations big tax breaks? It is pretty simple economics…they hire employees, generate revenue to their area – when their employees go out to eat and buy lunch, stimulate the economy by selling their goods and services as well as buying goods and services from other companies. I wish you were a little wiser Ginger. The reasons why companies leave the US is because the govt. taxes them to death. So, if they can turn a bigger profit somewhere else than the governement is at fault. Read a book

1. your sick???? thats an understatement says:

So stop being SO stupid!
        NO TAX BREAKS for any corpoations!
        STOP THE CUT BACKS ON EDUCATION!

Comments are closed.