Fire Damages Apartment Complex In Duquesne
DUQUESNE (KDKA) — The Allegheny County fire marshal is investigating following an early morning fire that forced several residents from an apartment complex in Duquesne.
The blaze started just after 4 a.m. in the Hilltop Parkview Manor Apartments on Duquesne Place Drive. Firefighters from Duquesne and surrounding communities were called to the scene.
Officials say the fire sparked in an eight-unit building and forced six families to scramble to get out of the building.
Terrell Williams says a friend warned him to get out of the building after the fire broke out in a neighbor’s apartment. He remembers seeing flames shooting out of the windows and neighbors trying to escape.
“I ran down and I [saw] people climbing out the window and a couple people were handing their kids out the window because there was really no other option,” said Williams. “The hallway was full of flames; you couldn’t go down the steps to exit out or anything; there was nothing but fire.”
Some neighbors were using a blanket to hand their children through the windows to get them out of the building. Firefighters also used ladders to help residents escape.
An adult and a child were taken to the hospital for treatment after being injured. All six families were temporarily displaced from their apartment.
“They actually marked off the building where the fire was at. Like they put a lock on it so nobody can get in there until they repair it,” said Williams.
So far, there is no information available on the conditions of the adult and child who were hurt.
The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced families with food clothing and shelter.