Missing Ohiopyle Kayaker’s Body Found In Yough River

DUNBAR TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — The body of a missing kayaker has been found.

A worker at the water plant in Connellsville spotted the body in the Youghiogheny River. Around 2 p.m., emergency crews pulled the body of 31-year-old Jason Whipkey, of Derry.

Whipkey and his friend, Matthew Jennings, were kayaking Saturday afternoon when they were thrown from their boats.

Whipkey’s body was found eight miles downstream from where he went missing.

Authorities say these kayakers likely weren’t anticipating the difficult conditions on the Youghiogheny River, which created a recipe for disaster.

More News from Fayette County

1. Brad says:

It is the missing kayaker from ohiopyle.

2. stacy says:

god bless ur soul let god be with ur family

3. Barb says:

Cant even imagine what his family is going through right now, they are wonderful people, his parents, brother as well as Jason were customers where I work. Thoughts and prayers are will you all. R.I.P. Jason😦

4. bettygerbil says:

so glad they recovered him and now can lay him to rest

1. Lilly Miller says:

I’ve been through what this family is going through, 3 years ago same place same amount of time…my dear brother drowned there. Unless you experienced this you can never imagine and even then it’s different because everyones relationship is different!…I hope God comforts this family…it will be a very long road they are facing. I’m crying and full of grief for them. So sorry someone elses family had to experience this. Third drowning in 3 years, all around the same time of year…it’s so sad!

5. Matt C says:

My thoughts and prayers are with the Whipkey family and friends ! I grew up with jason and was a friend and neighbor for many years. My heart aches for his family. Rest in Peace Jason im gonna miss you !!!!

Comments are closed.