Cranberry Officer Injured In Pursuit Goes Home

HARMONY TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — A Cranberry Township police officer was finally able to go home today, months after being critically injured when he fell from a jersey barrier while in pursuit of a suspect.

It was a bright and beautiful day in Butler County for Cpl. Dan Hahn’s homecoming.

It had been a long time since Cpl. Hahn enjoyed sitting on his porch, a long time since he saw his beloved dog, a long time since Feb. 14 when the officer fell some 25 feet off an Interstate 79 overpass while chasing a suspect.

“He jumped out of his car and ran. I jumped out of my car and started running,” said Cpl. Hahn. “Next thing I remember, I have a bunch of police officers around me, I’m on the ground flat on my back.”

The suspect died in the fall. Hahn survived, but his life hung in the balance as he was flown to Allegheny General Hospital.

“The last thing I remember is the flight nurse leaning over top of me and pulling the door closed,” he said. “The next thing I remember is waking up to my father. I didn’t realize it was three weeks later.”

One hundred days off the job, but it’s been no vacation. His neck was broken, his arm mangled, shoulder damaged, his sternum crushed, but not his spirit.

“I had to learn to walk again. I had to learn to walk up and down steps, stand and sit. All the things a person takes for granted, I had to re-learn. My dad taught me a long time ago – you play the cards you’re dealt,” said Cpl. Hahn. “Every week, I’m doing more this week than I could do last week.”

In no small measure due to a lady named Fritz.

“My wife, Fritz, she’s been a rock. I knew I was [going to] be okay, largely because of her and her support,” he said.

“I was upset, but honestly, I had a peace because I knew he was [going to] be all right,” she said. “Sometimes, when you are put to the test, it either makes you or breaks you. In our case, it’s really been a blessing in that it made us stronger.”

Don’t be fooled into thinking that Cpl. Hahn’s days of serving the public are over. He may have been injured and lost 40 pounds, but it comes down to his saying – pain is temporary, victory is eternal.

“I plan on coming back. I plan on suiting up,” added Cpl. Hahn. “It slowed me down, but it’s not going to stop me.”

RELATED LINKS:
Cranberry Township Police Department
Community Supports Injured Officer At Benefit Dinner
Blood Drive Held To Honor Injured Officer
2-County Police Chase Suspect Dies, Officer In Critical Condition
More News from Butler County

More from Ross Guidotti
Comments

1. 1stAmment says:

So you know what would have happened had Cpl. Hahn NOT taken the action that he did? Well, if you can see the future then please give me the lottery numbers for next week! You have merely offered up one other possible outcome. Another is that the suspect may have gotten away, raped your daughter before stealing her car, and fled the area without ever being apprehended. The next tiime you have something idiotic to say, do us a favor and please keep it to yourself.

2. KDKA watcher says:

Hey 4thAmmend,

If it wasn’ t for dedicated police officers like this man smart people and ignorant people such as yourself would not have men and women caring enough and brave enough trying to make a difference in law enforcement. Spend a day or two working at his job and see if you could cut it. I seriously doubt you could.

3. susan harris says:

Wow 4th Ammend…wow. Are you even kidding me? Criminal behavior has consequence. Real simple way to stay alive if you are being apprehended by law enforcement…just stop…don’t run. So simple. Then he would have had his day in court, wasted several thousands of tax dollars, and engaged in more criminal activity after he served his pathetic 2 month sentance. Instead, this officer had an unfortunate accident and will take MONTHS to fully recover. You seriously have a distorted view of how the world works…

4. Brad says:

Alright 4thammend

You wanna be an opinionated tough guy? Why don’t you post your name and address so the family, friends, colleagues and those who respect law enforcement can pay you a visit and see if you have the intestinal fortitude to say it to our faces. I’ll bet you don’t. As a matter of fact, I’ll bet you try to turn it around and ask me to post mine. You have the right to your opinion sure. But your a coward. Blatant coward. You hide behind a fake name and will not post who you are. Real tough when no one knows who you are. Prove your not the coward I know you are by posting your name and address so we can all pay you a visit. Again. You won’t. You either won’t respond or will post some lame response. Coward.

1. Mark Johansen says:

Amen Brad! I agree 110% It’s easy for 4th Amend to hide behind his keyboard, but when the now deceased perp was carjacking or holding him at gunpoint (in theory) the first thing he would be doing was calling for HELP from the same law enforcement he is disrespecting. I say thank you Cpl Hahn for your bravery and service and personally I feel like I saved a few bucks of my taxpayer money with the death of the perp. May he rot in hell. If and when the coward (4th ammend) responds I will also be happy to pay a visit, keyboard aside and see what he has to say to my face as well.

2. DGUY says:

IF SOME LOWLIFE COP ARRESTS SOMEONE FOR FREE SPEECH I HOPE THE ACLU SUES THOSE PARASITICAL PIECES OF TRASH AND THEIR
      STINKIN’ PSYCHOPATHIC RELATIVES AND SEX PARTNERS TOO. WE ARE PAYING YOUR SALARY AND YOU FREAKS MAKE TERRORISTIC THREATS.
      PITTSBURGH IS GOING TO CHANGE AND IT WILL START WITH COPS BEING SUED FOR VIOLATING TAXPAYERS FREE SPEECH RIGHTS.

THIS IDIOT JUMPED OFF A BRIDGE AND IS TOO DERANGED TO WORK AS A COP AND ALWAYS WAS.

3. DGUY says:

IF AN AVERAGE PERSON CHASED A PETTY CRIMINAL AND CAUSED HIM TO COMMIT SUICIDE BY JUMPING OFF A BRIDGE THIS
      SAME COP WOULD BE ARRESTING THE CHASER FOR HOMICIDE. THIS BUFFOON WAS NEVER FIT TO BE A COP AND KDKA IS
      IS DISGUSTING WITH HOW IT ERASES COMMENTS THAT DO NOT PRAISE THIS BUFFOON COP.

5. noneofuswerethere says:

This is actually an intelligent comment. Ever read “Blink” by Malcolm Gladwell?? There are amazing interviews of police officers involved in chases, and who were involved in shootouts also. Well, the information gathered from the high speed chases showed that the police officers were so keyed up on adrenaline that when thedy were in the chase, procedure and clear thinking went out the window , esp. when their adrenaline and heart rate got above a certain point. You can actually get doped up on adrenaline. Ever heard of “adrenaline junkies”. It can happen to anyone who is in a hyper-stimulated state. It is very common for police officers in these high stress situations to get overloaded on adrenaline and overstimulated. They have interviews in their own words after they killed or beat someone at the end of a chase. Technichally, they were temporarily high on adrenaline. The book is amazing. Read it. Excellent book. Was on the bestseller list. Great if you are interested in human behavior.

1. noneofuswerethere says:

My comment above was a REPLY to 4th ammend’s post, which seems to have disappeard. Only my reply is left and I wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding.

6. Brad says:

Same goes for you dguy.

You want to be the Controversial voice? Back it up. I noticed you didn’t post your name, do it. And your address and say those comments to the family, friends, colleagues of the officer. Buck up or shut up.

7. Brian21 says:

Welcome home CPL HAHN, aka HERO!

Comments are closed.