Man Charged In Ambridge Road Rage Incident Speaks Out

AMBRIDGE (KDKA) — Eric Reid admits to making a mistake, but says some of what he’s accused of doing in an alleged road rage incident just isn’t true.

Reid faces charges of simple assault and making terroristic threats after an encounter with a FedEx driver in an alley in Ambridge.

Reid couldn’t get past the parked truck which was making deliveries, and he was desperate to get to his mother-in-law who had fallen and was bleeding.

Police say Reid used obscenities, made threats, and even entered the truck’s trailer and grabbed the driver by the neck.

Reid, however, says he asked the driver to move several times and never got up into the truck.

He admits to grabbing the driver by the belt, not the neck and says he immediately knew it was a mistake.

Police say he turned around and took off from the scene.

They later caught up with him at his mother-in-law’s home. She did have to go to the hospital, but was later released.

RELATED LINKS
More Beaver County News
More Reports By David Highfield

More from David Highfield
Comments

1. Ryan says:

uh oh…race card time!

1. HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER says:

Too funny, but true.

2. Jared says:

Very dumb. He needs to talk to an attorney, not give interviews on TV.

3. Allen Pettit says:

Either way he was wrong….If his mother in law needed help, call an ambulance stupid!!!

4. AJ says:

This guy is a complete idiot for talking to reporters. And I don’t care what his excuse is or whether he grabbed the delivery guy by the neck or by the belt; either way, it’s still simple assault. It’s scary that there are people like this out on the road.

5. robb says:

I drive a truck for a living and this is a perfect example of why i conceal carry.

6. KottaMan says:

Uh, repeat after me: “Sick person? Call 911.”

7. Mr Obvious says:

He didn’t graduate from high school either because the dog ate his homework

8. bc says:

forget the racecard,how about FedEx desirves everything they get! they are HORRIBLE! they park anywhere and evrywhere! i totally see myself doing a roadrage someday..they are rude and think they are entitled to behave however they like on the roads

9. Dan says:

Are you sure this guy isnt Daryl Strawberry cause he looks just like him

10. not the FedEx guy's fault says:

bc – lets’s get this straight. FedEx has multiple divisions. This was the Freight division – meaning this driver was driving a rig. Not the vans you are complaining about. If i’m driving down an alley and I see a rig in the alley, logic will tell me that I’ better find another way to go. Especially in Ambridge, where there are already cars parked in the alleyway (which alot of people do b/c it’s just more convenient). The driver was making a delivery, not dropping off a package. He had to park in the alley. I understand the “accused” was trying to get to his mother-in-law b/c she was in trouble. He was probably trying to avoid the lights on Merchant St, as alot of people do in Ambridge. I used to use the alleys all the time to get through town when I lived there. Sometimes I could, sometimes I couldn’t. It is what it is. Regardless, he really had no right to put his hands on the driver unless it was self defense. Which it wasn’t.

11. Bill says:

First off the heck with Fed EX and UPS those guys all think they own the road.
    Second, if you never got a phone call from a loved one that was in trouble then you need to just shut the H**L up.
    When you get a phone call that a loved one is hurt all you can think about is getting to them, you don’t think about anything else. I think the charges should be dropped and everyone go on with life. I do’t feel this has anything to do with race, it was just someone who got a call about his loved one hurt and wasn’t thinking sraight!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Nick Manning says:

I understand both sides here guys mother in law needed help, Fed d X guy doing his job I understand that also but if the guy asked him to move and he did not comply I would have dragged him off the truck also esp since someone was in need of medical help. Guy should have just moved his truck and and this could have all been prevented. Truck drivers do not own the road.

13. Hey Bill says:

Hey Bill… Is Eric a doctor? Is he going to be able to give the loved one the medical attention they need or will he need to call an ambulance anyway.. use your fn brain. That is no excuse for doing what this man did. Honestly, you can’t see this man is using his mother-in-laws illness to justify his actions?? I would bet that if he was going to the store or anywhere for that matter he would have handled himself in the same.

1. BILL says:

HAVE YOU EVER GOTTEN A CALL SAYING YOUR LOVED ONE IS HURT, DIEING, LAYING ON THE FLOOR, ? NO? THE YOU USE YOUR F’N BRAIN, I HAVE HAD A CALL LIKE THAT YOUR MIND JUST GOES BLANK AND YOU DON’T THINK ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN GETTING TO THE PERSON. WHEN I GOT THAT CALL I RAN A STOP SIGNAND BLEW THROUGH A LIGHT TO GET TO MY DAD SO I DON’T WANT TO HEAR USE YOUR BRAIN UNTIL YOU BEEN THROUGH IT! GO “F” YOURSELF!!

14. dr michael says:

Is this guy a flight surgeon??? when someone needs medical attention……call 911 immediately they are trained to respond and treat multiple conditions and if there is more difficulties, there are physicians at the other end of a phone to relay what to do. This guy is a bozo an is trying to get out of a situation he put himself into.

15. MsCynic says:

If someone has fallen and is bleeding you call an ambulance…period. If you are heading down an alley and their is a delivery truck in the way, 90% of the time it will be quicker for you to back out and go another way than for them to move! Keep you hands to yourself people, it’s not rocket science (yes, I have gotten these calls from my Mother, but I would take a different streeet)!!

16. 1-2-3 says:

I call it South Fayette Nam, its like a war -zone.

17. HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER says:

Once again the brothers are always causing violence, that is all they know. They’re not intelligent enough to have a cival conversation, fight first, then run, then when caught,” IT WASN’T MY FAULT”, I’m oppressed by the white man.

18. HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER says:

Yea, the mother had to go to the hospital, she realized what a loser of a monkey she raised and freaked out.

19. Brad says:

am i wrong or is almost every story you read of someone using violence it turns out to be a negro

20. Harley M says:

Come on folks since when does a man run to the aid of his mother in law? They usually run away from them or walk very slowly until they are sure she stopped breathing.

21. JustSaying says:

Ok, this is one story involving a black that doesn’t deserve to be judged on race. I’ve been there, and yes the ambulance was there and my parent was being transported to an area hospital. Doesn’t matter, I exceeded the speed limit (by a lot), ran red lights (after making sure nobody was coming the other way) and in general drove like a crazy person to get there. It would have taken this guy less time to just back up, turn around and go a different way than to engage the driver. I would not have wasted time with a FedEx driver.

22. John Valentine says:

I’ll bet the driver was white and that’s why the black guy reacted more aggressively. Black people are far more racist than whites and I’m sick of bending over backwards for racists.

Comments are closed.