Larimer Standoff Suspect, Shot 4 Times, In Critical Condition

LARIMER (KDKA) – A suspect is in critical condition following a standoff in Larimer.

The incident happened near the intersection of Finley and Meadow Street and ended shortly before noon on Wednesday.

Pittsburgh Police Commander Thomas Stangrecki said David Bush, 36, raised a sawed off shotgun in the direction of the SWAT team and it went off.

Several members of the SWAT team fired back, shooting him in the torso.

“Once he got behind his vehicle, he raised the firearm up in the direction of numerous SWAT officers who were on the scene and the firearm discharged,” Stangrecki said. “At that point, several of the SWAT officers returned fire, striking Mr. Bush in the torso which dropped him to the ground.”

The people who live near where the standoff unfolded said the police gave Bush several times to surrender.

“They said, ‘Come out with your hands up! Put the gun down!’” LaVaughn Brown, a neighbor, said. “And they said, ‘This is the last time we’re going to tell you.’

“So in the meantime, I heard the ‘Pop! Pop!’ so I said, ‘Okay, that’s tear gas.’ I’m still in the window and they said ‘Pop! Pop!’ Then they hollered real loud, ‘Drop the gun! Drop the gun! Drop the gun!’

“And then I heard a ‘Boom!’ and I said, ‘This time, no, this is real shots,’” Brown described.

George Phillips, a retired Pittsburgh police officer, also lives in the neighborhood. He said they released tear gas in the third floor of the house.

“At that time, he come down the front steps and unfortunately he had a sawed off shotgun at his right-hand side,” he said.

Bush was taken by ambulance to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital.

Officers recovered the suspect’s shotgun.

KDKA Investigator Marty Griffin reports Bush was shot four times by three police officers.

Investigators say he ran inside his home after threatening to kill an ex-girlfriend in front of her two children.

“Mr. Bush continued to assault the victim, trying to choke her and threatened to kill her if she called police,” Stangrecki said.

Bush will face charges including burglary, aggravated assault, terroristic threats, reckless endangerment, simple assault in addition to a firearms violation.

The three officers involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative leave.

In March, Bush was in police custody after he allegedly shot a man several times in front of Allegheny County Police headquarters.

Police wonder how he got out of jail.

“That is a good question and we’ll have to research it to actually see why he is still out,” Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper said.

RELATED LINKS
More Local News
More Reports From Brenda Waters

Comments

1. Thomas J Duttine says:

Shoot to kill….It will stop!

1. Sickofthesycophants says:

I hope they start with you first.

1. Thomas J Duttine says:

I would have obeyed the law in the first place Moron..

2. Chris says:

Just means Sickof hasn’t been a victim yet

2. Gary says:

Pittsburgh is getting super ghetto!

3. John Valentine says:

One less savage on the streets. No loss here.

4. johnny69 says:

The cops should have unloaded their entire arsenal into him to send a message to ALL criminals! Still a great news story! Like the guy on the other news says…the good guys win this one!

5. Jerry says:

I hear the guy was distraught that there were no nearby fire hydrants to cool himself off.

1. kristy says:

LMFAO! seriously, do away with these thugs. who cares?

6. Daniel says:

People are entitled to make jokes however when you have a spouse that is an officer on the scene and you hear that shots have been fired you think of the officers and hope that they are ok. You wait until you hear from your loved one that they are OK. Just remember the police are out there protecting us, the citizens of Pittsburgh. Not the politicians or council, but the men and women who risk themselves everyday for us should be commended.

1. Carla says:

I agree with you. My husband is an officer and his safety as well as his fellow officers safety is all i care about. It is not funny to make jokes about something like this when the officers are getting shot at and putting their lives in danger. I do not care for the criminals either, but these stories are real and unfunny.

7. Concerned For Our Cops says:

I would love to hear our Mayor stand up and say that our police should have better pay and benefits. And I would like for Councilman Burgess to respect our police and not put out the kind of posters that he has been putting out for his reelection campaign. I cannot fathom as to why Councilman Burgess has the audacity to put the title of Reverend before his name. I do not think that decent people would ever listen to someone who does not support our police like Mr. Burgess. OK, I will stop venting for now.

8. steve says:

I AGREE WITH DANIEL THEY ARE DOING THIER BEST WITH THIER HANDS TIED. WATCH AND SEE THE ANIMALS COMPLAIN THAT THE GUY DIDNT HAVE TO BE SHOT. WISH IT WAS TIM STEVENS

9. steve says:

A M E N

10. johnny69 says:

this pos is out on bail after shooting that innocent man in march, the judge who let him out on bail should be fried. These cops are heroes, anybody that is against cops is a bad guy and deserves what bad guys get. This guy was a bad guy, and he got EXACTLY what ALL bad people should get.

11. Tom says:

praying for his death

12. kristy says:

how long will it take before his loved ones blame the cops and say that he was a good guy and just misunderstood? when and where is the vigil?

13. Matt says:

…kShould have killed the pos. Now he will sue the city . Kill’em all.

14. MrFrank says:

Should have smoked him with everything they had. Hopefully he will assume room temp very shortly. Another dirtbag from a dirtbag ‘hood, bites the dust. I live in Brookline which isn’t too bad. Yet. Bought a patio home in a gated community in Butler County anyhow. Will the last person leaving Pittsburgh proper please turn out the lights. That is if they are still on in this near bankrupt city. Perhaps Barry will bail them out.

15. Deez nutz says:

I am just praying for all those involved. Take care bush family and SWAT team family members. Trouble don’t last always. deez nutz

16. Have some respect says:

Hey master historian of records, get your facts straight before you post a ridiculous comment on a news site. Between 1999 and today, there have been 2081 Police Officers killed in the line of duty. Yes, obviously more people die in traffic accidents but I don’t think that is determined to be “work related”. Police Officers that are killled in the line of duty are working to protect YOUR personal safety and the community they patrol in. Most often they are killed attempting to take a criminal off the street and they sacrifice their life for the freedoms you desire during your day to day activities, which I would assume doesn’t include much other than you making stupid comments on a website and probably collecting a government “paycheck” (IE: welfare) for sitting on your lazy behind and drinking Colt 45 and smoking some sort of illegal substance. You should be so grateful that someone is willing to go to work day in and day out to protect you and your family from the violence that is consuming our society. Oh and by the way, I believe that those Officers attempt to enforce the traffic laws that so often are disobeyed and result in death, unfortunately no one respects the laws of the road in this day and age and the Police can’t be everywhere at once. For once I would like someone in this society to take accountability for their own actions, I guess that’s just too much to ask, it’s easier to blame the Police for the end results….

1. KottaMan says:

Yes, and Cracker’s numbers on M/V fatals is somewhat overblown as well. Somewhere around 39,000 as I recall.

17. Have some respect says:

Hey moron, read the above response to your degenerate buddy Uncle Cracker. After that I suggest that you strap on a gun and put your life into dangerous situations day in and day out if you think it’s such an easy job. No, you won’t do that because you’re a coward that instead likes to write BS responses to real life situations you could never begin to comprehend or have the courage to face. Do us all a favor and go back to watching some idiotic Youtube video or playing some idiotic game in your bedroom in your parents house and stop reading the news. You are obviously not intelligent enough to understand what happens in the everyday life of a Police Officer so I suggest you don’t even think about it. Obviously with your statement on here I would come to the conclusion that the news is just a jumbled up bunch of words for you that you can’t decipher. If you missed the details of the story, it states the SWAT Officers were fired on before shooting the suspect. I don’t think that constitutes sitting in their cars and taking notes, I believe that means they were right in the thick of the situation. Probably while you were sitting on your rear conversing with Uncle Cracker. Go comment somewhere more your speed, which is obviously slow…

18. Booby G says:

“David Bush, 36, raised a sawed off shotgun in the direction of the SWAT team and it went off”. News media, tell the truth. He pulled the trigger and fired at officers. What ever happened to David Bush is his own fault. God bless the police for keeping us safe from people like him.

1. Thomas J Duttine says:

AMEN!

19. dr michael says:

You shoot at the police your gonna get hurt…………….bad. No respect for the law or other people……Chootem

1. MsCynic says:

EXACTLY!! You shoot at the police, you can count on getting fired on – and that’s the way it should be. These men/women should be able to go home to their families every night and not risk it with an idiot like him!

20. db says:

I saw James “MY CLIENT IS INNOCENT” Ecker at the scene

21. critter says:

hopefully dead

22. MsCynic says:

GOD BLESS our officers and their worried families for risking their lives to attempt to keep us safe!! I can’t imagine why that idiot was back on the street again, but I’m hoping he doesn’t get another opportunity!

23. HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER says:

Shoot to kill everytime, save the taxpayers money. The police need to keep up on their fire arms skills.
    What better way to hon the skills, than to shoot at an armed monkey !!!!

24. johnny69 says:

If anything, the Swat team should be reprimanded for only hitting him 4 times. swat teams should miss ZERO times. There shoulkd by one hole between the eyes that just keeps growing larger as each succesive bullet penetrates the same area.

25. jimmy says:

i’m not sure why the shot him four times, what happened did they run out of bullets.

26. Recuperating says:

Im the guy that was shot by him first. I dont understand how he was permitted to post bail while he had a violent record in the first place! And he shouldve been charged wth attempted homicide.this just sends a message that anyone can shoot someone, even in front of the police headquarters like I was, without serious repercussions and be permitted to walk free to harm again! Also, god works in mysterious ways, he shot me 4 times & he in turn was shot 4 times….karma..

Comments are closed.