Santorum “In It To Win”

SOMERSET (KDKA) — An enthusiastic crowd of local western Pennsylvanians welcomed Rick Santorum and his family as he announced his candidacy for President in Somerset.

“This is where it started for the Santorum family. This is where my dad and my grandfather lived and planted the flag,” he said. “It’s an honor to be back in this county, in this region.”

The former Pennsylvania Senator said Americans have learned after four years of President Obama, they need a different kind of leader.

“I believe now that Americans are not looking for someone they can believe in. They are looking for a president who believes in them.”

Santorum invoked an old campaign theme that he has used in earlier campaigns — “Join the Fight.”

“I’m ready to do what has to be done for the next generation with courage to fight for freedom, with the courage to fight for America. That’s why I’m announcing today I’m running for President of the United States,” he said. “Join the fight! Join the fight!”

The former Pennsylvania Senator wasted little time before attacking President Obama.

“President Obama took that faith that the American public gave him and wrecked our economy, and centralized power in Washington DC, and robbed people of their freedom.”

He criticized President Obama for deficit spending.

“Who are you, Mr. President, to say that you and your administration should take 40 cents out of every dollar and borrow it from future generations to prop you up?”

And he accused the President of creating personal dependency on government through national health reform.

“Every single American now will be hooked to the government with an IV.”

But his strongest words appealed to his base of social conservatives, saying President Obama had devalued America.

“He’s not just devalued our currency, he’s devalued our culture, through our marriage, not standing up for the Defense of Marriage Act, for federal funding of abortions.”

It was the kind of tough talk his supporters love.

“What brings me here is Rick Santorum’s courage,” said Chuck Horvat of Harrison City. “That he’s willing to drive the forces of America to stay back in America. That’s what I’m looking for.”

“I like the fact that he walks the talk,” said West Deer Township’s Vince Mercuri, who was in attendance with his family. “Rick says what he believes and he walks those beliefs.”

KDKA Political Editor Jon Delano asked Santorum assessed his chances, he responded, “A lot of enthusiasm. Feel good.”

But in a race with better known names than his, can enthusiasm give Santorum the Republican nomination?

“He’s got to go out in the country, get better known,” said a long-time senior Santorum advisor John Brabender. “Let families know him, one family at a time, but share his whole resume with people.”

Brabender says Santorum must do well in those early contests next February.

“He has been to the early states more than any other candidate. And, look, he’s not going to have the money Mitt Romney is going to have,” he said. “But I really feel he’ll have the energy and passion that none of the other candidates have, and I think that will come through.”

Pennsylvania doesn’t really play in those early primaries, which is why Senator Santorum left for Iowa shortly after his speech. Then he’s on to New Hampshire on Wednesday and Thursday.

Hours before making his formal announcement, Santorum talked with KDKA Radio’s Larry Richert and John Shumway about why he wants to be the next president of the United States.

RELATED LINKS:
Santorum To Announce Run For President (5/27)
More Political News
KDKA Political Editor Jon Delano

More from Jon Delano
Comments

1. mr. bill says:

I hope he wins the nomination.
    Piece of cake for Obama to beat him!

2. omg says:

OMG what a nightmare…..talk to the people from western pa, penn hills, allegheny county….and see why he lost the senate race

3. Thomas J Duttine says:

WHAT A JERK!!!

4. Santorum Yeah says:

Lets hear some real facts about Santorum and not just your Communist/D comments OMG .
    Just because Communist Allegheny County supported Robby this Robby that Casey doesn’t mean Santorum is done since 2007 Communist/Democrats have been the majority in both houses look where we are and by the way Bush has not been President since Jan. 2009.
    3 years Commie majority in the house over 2 years commie Obama uh I think Santorum would kick his a$$.
    Bye Now Looooooosssssseeeer.

1. Santorum No says:

“Communist Allegheny County” that’s a delusional statement…..but, coming from a Santorum supporter it makes perfect sense. He’s a loser and a weasel…he doesn’t stand a chance.

1. To Mr Commie says:

Facts , Mr delusional Commie/Democrat , look around you . Wake up before its too late.

2. Zoeyzotron says:

Exactly, What did he actually do that you didn’t like??? why is he a weasel??

I admit I do not know much about Rick, but from what he said in the article I think he is right on.

5. Ryan says:

Although I agree with his politics, I am not a fan of him personally, and no way could he beat Obama. The media will try to ruin him so I do not want him to win the nomination. He won’t win it anyway so I’m not really worried..

1. Brad Lodovico says:

The media doesn’t have to ruin him. He’s ruined himself through the years by making horrible statements about women, minorities, gays, and disrespecting Senator McCain telling him he doesn’t know anything about harsh interrogation tactics. I’m so glad PA woke up in 2006 voted this lying bigoted hypocrite out of office.

6. Jessie says:

He should save his money. Give it up Rick, must be hard working in the real world.

7. JBD says:

Yeah Rick Santorum needs to stay out of politics forever. Having him win the Republican nomination would be a disaster. My prediction is that he lasts for only a couple of months until he runs out of money. I agree with some of his views, but he seems like quite a jerk.

8. lee says:

ugh…

9. Connie says:

The only thing good about this announcement is that he will have to spend his money. The GOP doesn’t have a viable candidate so they just might give him the ‘nod’; but he will never beat Obama unless the GOP steals another election, which I am sure they will consider doing just so that they can gain control once again. As for Santorum, he is a typical republican, he represents all that republicans stand for, he is the male version of Sarah Palin, nothing but air between those ears.

10. 2059 says:

Well, summer’s here and a giant stinkbug made it’s appearance.

11. Woofie Wifflenuts says:

Go away forever, Ricky…George Bush wrecked the economy AND your career you weasel…….If it were possible Elmer Fudd would do a better job than you and he also has a much better personality………It’s funny how all you opportunistic dirtbags pop out of your holes when we all hoped you were long gone…..Why don’t you do the world a favor and run for something more fitting, Dogcatcher

12. kevin says:

Santorum is a hypocrite. Years ago, his wife sued a chiropractor for a few hundred thousand dollars. Shortly after he collected his fortune, Santorum was pressing Congress to limit medical malpractice lawsuits for the general public. Seems like he was happy getting his money, but he doesn’t want you or me to benefit like he did. What a creep!

1. Booger T Smoodt says:

My uncle is Rick’s chiropractor and he told me Rick had a spine search done on himself years ago. Uncle Jeff said after an exhaustive search he determined there was none.

13. we the people says:

look at all the welfare people supporting obama

14. Dave says:

I can’t see how having Santorum as the Republican nominee is any worse than that bum McCain my fellow Republicans nominated last time around.

15. Passing Commenter says:

Did you ever Google his last name?

…you’re welcome!

1. just saying says:

I Googled “Santorum” and here is what I came up with:
      Santorum (san-Tor-um) Noun
      1. That frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the by-product of anal sex.

16. jj says:

Say it isn’t so ? PLEASE Rick just GO AWAY ! YUK! YUK! and double YUK!!!

Comments are closed.