Report: City Makes Settlement Offer In Jordan Miles Lawsuit

PITSBURGH (KDKA) – The city of Pittsburgh has reportedly offered to settle the civil lawsuit filed by Jordan Miles for an alleged police beating incident.

The teenager is a former CAPA High School student who said he was assaulted by three police officers in Homewood last year.

According to our news partners at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the city is offering the family a settlement of $180,000.

The family’s attorney believes the offer could be hush money.

Miles claimed that three plainclothes Pittsburgh Police officers kicked, choked and punched him for no reason while he was walking to his grandmother’s house in Homewood.

Officers David Sisak, Michael Saldutte and Richard Ewing were recently reinstated after a lengthy investigation.

The family’s attorney said they probably will not accept the offer because they are not interested in money. They want to make people aware and have some reform take place.

The family has until June 28 to accept or decline the offer.

More Local News
More Jordan Miles Coverage
More Reports From Brenda Waters
Pittsburgh Police

More from Brenda Waters

1. JeJo says:

$180,000 he should take it, he will blow it in less than 6 months!!!

1. Legal Begal says:

I hope he doesn’t take it, then when he loses in court he will have to pay the city for the legal bill….The FBI, Dept of justice and a million other agencies investigated this and said it was BS, and couldn’t even charge these guys! Did you know over 90% of cases that go in front of a grand jury are indicted? Wonder why this wasnt? lies lies lies

1. lawman says:

Being a law student I dont think he understands that he possibly could have to pay the cities legal bills, and the jury for this case would be made up of the same people that said there isnt enough to charge these officers in 2 grand juries. We went through this case inside out this year in school

2. says:

he ought to pay 180 000 now he can get a new diamond erring after that set up

3. Daniel says:

So you are offered $180,000 because you did not obay a lawful police command to stop. Then you fight with the police and injure two of the officers. You get a District Justice to dismiss your charges. The officers in question are cleared by the Feds. No charges are brought against them. Do not make any settlement offer to this individual. Our tax dollars should not go to him at all. I know it is expensive to defend a case like this but our Mayor should stand up for these officers today.

1. Dan says:

But ths sticking point is that they were plainclothsed, not dressed like cops. Not saying that they didn’t identify themselves but that’s where the “he said/she said” comes in. And as much as I realize that their is a lot of black crime, I also no there are corrupt cops. So it’s tough to know who’s right in this case.

1. Dan says:

“know”, not “no”

2. mike says:

No settlement

4. Daniel says:

I meant obey not obay.

1. Annie says:

Did you also mean plainclothes😉

2. kristy says:

did you mean “there” instead of “their?” 🙂

1. cheeks says:

did you mean any of that at all???

5. Kitty Cat says:

Great, The city, county and state are pretty much bankrupt and they want to give out $180,000 to criminals. Hey, I broke the law! Where is my $180,000? Did I have to get beat up to get it? What’s the deal?

6. Dave says:

In looking at the facts, this kid has never been in trouble, is an art student, which people in the arts usually are very docile people, was walking to his grandma’s house, was asked to stop by 3 men, in a very high-crime ridden area, who allegedly did not identify themselves. What would any one of you have done? This isn’t the suburbs we’re talking about, but Homewood, where crime is a daily occurrence.

1. Hit Boy says:

Homewood is NOT the suburbs that is true…but it is crimeridden because of the people that live there… and talk about stereotyping.. “people in the arts” are docile people??? How about every rapper on earth??

1. BeckyBoo says:

I am sure every person that lives there isn’t a criminal. If Miles was, they wouldn’t have offered him a settlement.

2. Dave says:

Whoever said rappers were artists? They may be performers, but I wouldn’t consider them to be in the arts. CAPA specializes in visual arts, literary art, theater, instrumental, dance, etc. That is what I was referring to when I said ‘people in the arts,’ not rappers.

2. mary says:

Does not matter where the crime is these 3 officers beat the hell out of him, I repeat THREE GROWN MEN on this one individual. Read the news crime is everywhere?

7. Food 4 Thought says:

Glad to see they didn’t accept the hush money! Maybe the city should use that money to train their cops a little better. Despite what a lot of white people think- not ALL black people in Homewood, or any other hood are criminals! Just like there’s good cops and bad cops… Food for thought, although it may be hard for some people to digest…

8. Luke R says:

Just hit the lottery

9. pook says:

money not an issue are you freaking kidding me thats all they want now they can go by that new bmw and stiil collect food stamps

10. Ron Szcewiski says:

They should be paying more than that. The majority of cops are punks themselves. Ego’s, and think they are invincible. Some of you people need your ass kicked. Maybe it will be by a cop and then we’ll see how right you think it is.

1. Hit Boy says:

Ron: Next time you get in a jam or need some help call Homewood you MORON!

11. T.J. says:

I know this kids uncle, great people and this kid is raised better than most of your kids. . Too bad many of you are just plain color blind. Sad.

1. Rosedale&tioga crip says:

What about his brother who is in FEDERAL prison?????? I know him too, he is a sly dog. Not the great kid they are making him out to be!

12. Kitty Cat says:

Okay. Some police officers are bad. Pay his medical bills and be done with it, nothing more, nothing less. It looks like he’ll pull through this and survive. Good luck to him.

1. kristy says:

i agree with you. paying the medical bills should suffice in this matter.

2. BeckyBoo says:

So it’s ok for a cop to beat someone without just cause as long as they pay the medical bills? Wow!

1. kristy says:

you weren’t there, i wasn’t there. the truth will never be known. it’s always gonna be a “he said/she said” deal. paying the medical bills is sufficient.

2. Police Supporter says:

No! But when someone tells you to stop (and they did identify themselves as poilice officers) STOP! If you have nothing to hide, then you will be ok. Even bad cops won’t beat up someone for no reason! I hate the way people group all police officers as the same. But as soon as you need their assistance they are the first people called. You can’t have it both ways. Not all police are good – I’ll agree but MOST are. Why else would they pick a profession that doesn’t appreciate them unless they wanted to do good?

3. badcops says:

@police supporter, It’s called a power trip and 90% of the police force suffers from it in one way or another.

13. Betty Matlack says:

I think the three cops should pay for what they did…..NO EXCUSE for what they did three on one……Our laws suck…..

14. Plumbob says:

How dare a black boy walk in the city!

15. Poo-Bear says:

Sure. They beat him “for no reason”. I’m not buying it.

1. BeckyBoo says:

If they are willing to pay this young man, then they were in the wrong. No other way to look at it. In this economy, what city would be willing to pay a man $180,000 if they didn’t have to? They are only doing this to try and avoid a bigger pay out in the future. If this young man was wrong in any way, shape or form he would not have been offered money. Yeah they beat him for a reason, being in the wrong place at the right time. It’s sad but you know if they actually had something on him, even from his past they would have used it somehow to justify what was done.

16. Jamie says:

This offer is slap in the face. I personaly had a run in with officer Michael Saldutte and just based on that fact alone I totaly believe Jordan Miles. Jordan Miles’ lawyer is correct that reform is needed. The truth is that racists cops continues to target blacks and sometimes make bogus arrest and press bogus charges.

1. Hit Boy says:

“target blacks”?? If it walks like a duck……………………………..

17. Dominique says:

what is this, the 1950s????? Arrest the officers!!!!!!!!!

18. badcops says:

I have a hard time believing that there are this many people in Pittsburgh that think what these officers did is ok. I think that most of these posts are coming from just a few ip addresses or most of them are cops. First off I never saw what their RAS was for stopping him in the first place, carrying a bottle of pop, which he claims he didn’t even have, is not a crime. Second, if I was a young black kid in Homewood and 3 big white guys jumped out of a car yelling I’d run too! I would really like to see some of the commenters here get their a$$ kicked by the police for no reason and see their tunes change. The police are out of control all over the country and literally get away with murder with impunity. Something needs to change.

19. Lynyrd says:

KD just love’s that picture. So biased, I hate KD.

20. embarrassed for Pgh says:

Stay Classy, KDKA. You might want to think about how allowing this kind of commenting on your site reflects on our city globally.

21. Jamie says:

I’m just reading different comments made on this article and it’s so transparent that many bias, racists and tasteless remarks are being made. This shows you that Pittsburgh continues to have a large challenge with racism.

1. Stop kidding me says:

Damn right Pittsburgh is racist, ass backward and countrytown, a black boy called me a stuck-up redbone because I told him there is more to life than having a black baby that I’m going to have to raise by myself.
      It’s ok for a black man to murder a whole block of his own kind but if a white Pittsburgh police officer tells a mentally challenged black boy (who should not be out alone) to halt and put his hands up Tim Stevens from B-PEP comes out of the wood work to shout racism.
      Rick Boyd has been locked up for years, Reverened Darkins drug empire defaulted when he died and the racist savage murders still go on through tradition.

22. justice for all says:

Thats because the attorney will not get enough money for their representation. So, say you will not take the money and hold out for more. 99% of attorneys give the rest a bad name.

23. Baker6 says:

Racists? Do the letters WAMO mean anything to you?

24. Darby says:

While I can understand to a degree why Mr. Miles attorney has branded the City’s settlement offer “hush money,” I would take it. It is very difficult for a plaintiff to make out an excessive use of force claim against the police, and many such cases are dismissed on summary judgement, before they would go to trial and any award of damages would be granted.

25. 1-2-3 says:

I thought the City of Pgh’s liability in any of these cases is limited by law.

26. Jamie says:

As a fairly successfull black man I recalled a time when I came back home (Penn Hills) from college to visit. I went to Homewood to vigit family members and I happen to be on Frankstown Road by Baxter Park when police officers jump out on me. Two very young white police officers jump out the police wagon and detained me. I ask them what was the problem and one officer basically told me to shut up and then ask me where is the crack. I was then search and of course no crack was found. Then the officer ask to see my ID. I showed the officer my driver’s license and school ID from IUP. The officer replied and said “ohh what are you in school for” and I replied back and said “criminal justice. “The officer then told me I was free to go. I then questioned the officer the reason for me being detained and search. I was then told by officer that I match a description of someone who was acting disordely. So my objective is to make you all aware that racial profiling within the Pittsburgh Police Department is well alive. This event happen in 1997 and it appears that the issue still exists.

1. Lou Albano says:

You vigit familymembers? The reason they said you matched the description is you all look alike,back then and even today.

2. mike says:

You should have taken spelling and English Composition while you were at IUP

27. Sharon says:

There should be no settlement.

28. Jamie says:

To those of you who feel the officers were justified in Miles’ beating mus haven’t look or read details of the beating.

1. Darby says:

There is a large difference, however, between what the average person and the law regards as “justified” when it comes to police use of force.

29. Ken says:

How long do we have to hear about this? Get over it and move on. There has to more news out there than just this….

30. steve says:

1. Daniel says:

I agree Steve. We need more police like this fine men. They would be welcome in my neighborhood anytime. Miles will end up in prison one day for sure.

1. Dave says:

How can you make that assumption when this kid has NEVER been in trouble with the law? He is enrolled in school attempting to make something of himself. From what I’ve seen of him on television, he appears to be on the soft side, not the thug side, which is what usually does end up in jail.

31. Dave says:

There is no doubt that the police have a hard job, especially in areas where selling drugs is a means of living. However, in this instance, I think they overreacted, and I’m sure part of the reason is because they do encounter gang bangers on a daily basis, and their lives are placed in constant jeopardy. While I do have the greatest respect for the police, I do believe that mistakes do occur, and I think that is what happened. This kid was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

32. unbelevable says:

Somebody does not really want to know what the public thinks.

33. JustSaying says:

“This case is about more than money,” says Miles family attorney J. Kerrington Lewis. Translation: “This case is about MORE money”. Too bad for the kid but 180k buys a LOT of band-aids!

34. Baker6 says:

too bad hes still walking

35. Dan says:

I would take a beating for 180k

36. tired says:

Come on KDKA enough of this story about the poor black boy that was minding his own business when the big bad white cops came and beat him up for no reason. When are they gonna learn that if they would do as the cops say they wont get hurt. Probably Never.

1. badcops says:

Yes, do as we say, we are your rulers. Bring us your virgin daughters and 80% of the wheat and grain that you toiled in the fields for serf.

37. Food 4 Thought says:

Poplawski killed 3 innocent cops who were just doing their job! These 3 cops beat an innocent man who was doing what he has a right to do- walk to and from his grandmothers house- EVEN if it’s in Homewood! What makes them any better than Poplawski? Everybody is OUTRAGED when it’s the cops who are done wrong, but what about when it’s the COPS who DO wrong? People find a way to try and justify it… Pathetic!

38. steve says:

1. Kris says:

What exactly was he doing? His grandmother’s house was right there. The police searched him and found absolutely nothing. So what was he doing? Go to the South Side some time and see how many teenagers and twenty-somethings are walking around all hours of the night.

1. South Side Resident says:

Kris- you’re right about the South Side and you know the police stop people over there and arrest them for various things and cite them for other things – thing is, they’re white people mostly that get stopped by both white and black police… it is almost never in the news. Why is it because a neighborhood like Homewood makes a big deal about white cops (when I’m sure there are black officers arresting people there too) and a neighborhood like South Side which has all kinds of crime you hear nothing about that? I think the racism is the black people against the white… why can’t people just be people?

2. jury member says:

he was no where near grandmas house…get your facts straight before you say something you dont know. I was charged to hear the case. I stopped listening after we found Miles had lied at least 4 times. They brought one of his friends in to testify, that said he told him something different.

Comments are closed.