Ambridge Family Loses House To Fire
AMBRIDGE (KDKA) – Fire destroyed an Ambridge family’s home.
“They got here before we did and they called and said, ‘Prepare yourself. It’s really bad,’” Katy Dickinson, a fire victim, said.
Katy, her husband, David, and their three adopted children lost their dream house at 83 Central Lane.
“Thank God this didn’t happen at night,” she said. “One of our children is disabled.”
“I just put a new roof on the house and I was a day away from finishing the outside paint job,” David said.
He spent the last eight years stripping woodwork, refinishing floors and restoring the 80-year-old home for his family.
The fire started shortly after 1 p.m. Katy was with her 3-year-old at Children’s Hospital. David was picking up another child.
Painting supplies were left on the porch.
“We think that may have something to do with it, with all the rags and stuff like that,” Ambridge Fire Chief David Dreunowski said. “It’s still under investigation.”
The family’s two dogs were rescued by an arriving police officer.
No one was hurt and the family has insurance.
“There’s no amount of money that can replace the fact that we just put eight years into the house,” David said.