Could Amalgam Fillings Be Dangerous To Your Health?

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) –  Silver-colored plugs, which fill the void of cavities contain low levels of mercury.

It’s not enough to harm, but they are classified by the FDA as moderate risk, instead of low risk.

The designation is not strong enough according to one woman, who believes the amalgam fillings destroyed her immune system and made her dizzy.

“You get warnings about mercury in fish, so why would anyone with any sense think mercury belongs in your mouth?” Virginia Pritchett said.

“There are a lot of consumer groups, environmental groups out there that are saying that mercury is harmful and that all amalgam restorations should be replaced,” Dr. Kathy Driscoll with Allegheny General Hospital Dentistry said.

Silver, tin, copper, zinc and other metals are mixed with liquid mercury. Mercury vapors can be released when the fillings are placed, and while chewing.

With high levels, brain and kidney damage can occur. However, this is something Dr. Driscoll has never seen.

“Myself, I really have not. And I know there’s a concern to see if there’s a relationship for different disease states, such as autism, Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, neurological injuries. Myself, I have not seen any scientific evidence directly linking,” Dr. Driscoll said.

The amalgam fillings have been used for more than 150 years, and are still used for hard to reach cavities. Over the last two decades, fewer than 150 adverse events related to the mercury fillings have been reported. None were fatal.

Newer composites are tooth-colored, more expensive, and are made with resins, ceramic, and glass with unknown long-term effects. Dr. Driscoll points out the FDA could potentially classify these as moderate risk as well.

“I think it’s up to the dentist and the individual patient, because everybody should be looked at on an individual basis,” Dr. Driscoll said.

More Local News
More Health News
More Reports From Dr. Maria

KDKA On Facebook
KDKA On Twitter
Follow KDKA Personalities

More from Dr. Maria Simbra
  • Lily

    There’s lots of people poisoned with mercury and don’t even realize it. If this dentist quoted in the article is drilling in people’s mouths everyday, she’s getting exposed to the vapor too.. Makes me wonder what her own mercury levels are in the body. Maybe she’s “never seen it” simply because she’s in denial and can’t admit she’s been placing a toxic substance in mouths for years. /shrug

    I’m actually in the process of chelating due to a chronic illness I’ve had most of my life. I am seeing improvements, so that’s enough for me to keep going.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Bringing You The Best in Sports Talk Radio
Download And Win Today!

Listen Live