Monroeville Restaurant’s No Kids Policy Goes Into Effect

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — The ban on children under 6-years-old at McDain’s Restaurant in Monroeville went into effect Saturday, and the owner says business is up.

Mike Vuick says Friday night was their best night ever, and Saturday night could be even better.

He says he’s gotten thousands of emails, 11 to 1 in favor of the ban, and adds that customers are coming in to show their support.

The ban has made national headlines. Vuick says he’s done 62 interviews so far and has even attracted attention from as far away as Australia.

Charlene Banish of North Braddock had never been to McDain’s before, but after hearing about the ban on the news, she wanted to check the place out.

Scott Lucas of Wilkins Township says, “It’s still America. A private business can do what they want.”

Tasha Spencer of Wilmerding, however, calls the ban “strange” and says, “We may not patronize that restaurant just because of it.”

Vuick says he started the policy because of customer complaints about loud children, and now hopes other restaurants will follow his lead.

RELATED LINKS:
McDains Restaurant
More Local News

KDKA On Facebook
KDKA On Twitter
Follow KDKA Personalities

More from David Highfield
Comments

1. pittgirl says:

I think it is a good idea, who wants to go out to dinner and hear some brat screaming and crying? I say ban them under 10! Ha!

1. Anon says:

Yes you clearly know everything about the suffragettes.

And do you know that in MOST countries around the world it is considered normal and acceptable to breastfed in public. What is it about this culture that has such an aversion to natural processes like breastfeeding, but accepts and promotes overt sexuality in television and movies.

And why shouldn’t a parent reason with their child in public? That’s EXACTLY what they should do. How do you expect a child to learn? Screaming and yelling in public would certainly be more disruptive.

1. Mary says:

My parents didn’t scream or yell in public, it wasn’t needed. As I said above, we were taught better and didn’t act up in the first place.

2. Mom of 2 says:

Amen anon!! We tolerate bare bellies and nearly exposed nipples, it’s OK to have your underpants showing because your pants are around your ankles but please don’t breastfeed! I heard a woman who was covered being asked to go sit in the bathroom while her baby nursed. I had to applaud the woman at the adjacent booth ask the server if he would like to eat his meal in the bathroom! There was only 4 tables of people eating at the time, we didn’t complain so that left one. The manager came to the table and apologized to the young couple and comped their meal.

I think the owner has the right to do this. There are many family friendly restaurants.

3. Seeking balance says:

See that’s the thing – REASONING with a child 6 and under is a complete joke and part of the issue. I HATE hearing parents have long involved discussions with children who are out of control, and CONTINUE to be out of control while the parents continue to talk to THEMSELVES. They are children, you REMOVE them from situations where they can not control themselves not to disturb others. I wouldn’t have been able to sit for a week if I acted out like some of these children do in public, and I’m fine with it. I was a good kid from a LARGE family and we were never asked to leave ANYWHERE for our behaviour!

4. who reasons with a kids? says:

Who reasons with a child? You’re serious right. REASON with them? Like they’re on your level. At what point in time to you actually become the parent if you spend your time reasoning with a child? I have 3 children (two “tweens” and one under 5) and at no point have EVER reasoned with them. How do you ever expect them to respect your parental authority if you reason with them? Go ahead, keep reasoning and see where it gets you when they become teenagers. That’s the problem with society today. We spend so much time trying to be friends with our kids that we neglect to be parents. Just because we thought our parents were too hard on us or we have that “I’m giving my child choices because my parents never gave me them”. “Children should be seen and not heard” is still an excellent motto to go by. As a whole is sounds harsh but you so called “forward thinking” parents will spend so much time analyzing that statement that you won’t even realize what it really means. Children are just that, children. They need to be taught to respect their elders, have proper manners in public and in the home, conduct themselves accordingly with the situation, etc. Reasoning with them will only give them the idea that what Mommy and Daddy say really doesn’t hold any water b/c I can usually get them to bend on the situation – reasoning!
        And all about screaming and yelling in public??? Well, I’ve never had to do that. Remember that “look” your father or mother would give you when you acted out in public? Works wonders to this day. My kids will attest to that in a heartbeat. I refuse to embarrass myself by yelling at my kids in public. We will deal with it when we get home.
        Heck, I saw a guy trying to reason with his 3 year old in S-N-S one day. She was standing in the middle of the aisle crying and screaming “I want that” and he was just saying “honey, let’s talk about why Daddy doesn’t want you to have it”. REALLY???!!! How about “You are not going to get it because I”m your father and I said No” He looked like such a fool trying to reason with her. My son even said to me “Mom, why doesn’t he just tell her No and get on with it? You’d kill me if I ever did that in public.” Dang right I would!!

5. Seeking balance says:

If only more parents would follow that logic, they’d be welcome in restaurants. My father’s simple “Excuse me??” when we acted up, was enough to get total silence for the rest of that trip/outing.

6. Burghnerdman says:

I agree with what you are saying too a degree. When I child gets a little bit older though, they want to know a little bit more. When my daughter was young, we just said no to things and that was the end of it. As she has gotten older however, we tell her why we don’t allow her to do the things that she wants to do. It is always based on love and respect, both for herself and for her parents. I do give her the LOOK, when we are out in public, she knows what it means. I have never once hit her, or called her names, beside her own. If I want her to respect us, We also have to speak too her with respect. We don’t reason with her, but we do explain ourselves in a way, so that she understands why certain behaviors are not acceptible.

2. stormie says:

Anon it is proper for a lady to cover herself with a thin blanket but most women don’t know or care about this form of modesty. And yes I know about the Suffer Jets but what was the point of it all if today’s lady is not a lady.

3. Kristen says:

I completely agree with that! 6 is too young — up the age limit!

1. Anonymous says:

I like that idea ….

2. Anonymous says:

It would ruin his golf lesson business at the range, if he upped the limit. You can take lessons there if your child is six.

4. ha says:

it’s called being a responsible parent you twit. I hope one day if someone decides to have kids with you, they are the worst behaved children ever! You can not honestly sit her and tell me if this was affecting your children you wouldn’t be upset? It’s not fair to punish the kids who are raised properly and we are more well behaved then some adults because parents can’t do their job.

1. Anonymous says:

There are adults that don’t act their age that kids act better then them!!!!

2. Kelley says:

kids are not being punished here. If this upsets you, there are a 1000 other restaurants that do not have this policy, take your kids there. I have an 8 and 10 year old and twice I have gotten compliments for them being well behaved at restaurants and some times they need some discipline when we are out. This ban doesn’t upset me at all. It is his restaurant and he wants to do right by his patrons.

3. hay says:

how true.. BUT now adays.. the kids are the bosses. i have seen where the three year old tells the mother I hate you.. and your not my boss.. FOR reall. if that was ME.. I would have been whipped.. get a grip on your kids and raise them.. dont let them raise you.. or they will pay in the end..

5. Anonymous says:

I say it’s about time! I have long been a believer that places should have Kids/No Kids sections just like they had smoking or non-smoking ones back in the day!!!!

2. Anonymous says:

I think its a great idea also and I have 3 small children under the age of 7! I do not take them out to eat in nice places because I do not want to ruin other people’s dinner because children to get antzy and do not want to sit still or be quiet!

1. Anonymous says:

not all parents are as considerate as you .

1. rite says:

how true.. thanks lady

2. rugrat says:

My money spends anyplace. I saw the website and menu. It looks like a Winkys….haha…

1. pinky says:

you may want to check the menu again, the place is beautiful and the staff is considerate…if parents knew how to PARENT this would never be a problem

3. ha says:

ever try raising them to behave???

1. mother of one says:

yes.. AND my daughter is 25 and very well behaved.. she doesnt want kids because of this.. HA! she would rather have a dog they listen better..

3. Raul says:

I am contacting The ACLU.

1. Anonymous says:

You’d better have your tongue firmly in your cheek.

1. Raul says:

Of course I do…Could care less what this establishment decides to do, it is his businesss and he could do whatever he likes with it…

2. Anonymous says:

ACLU was contacted and they said no laws are boing broken

1. Bill says:

I knew some moron would try to involve the ACLU .

2. Slayer says:

I wander if Raul contacts the proper agency when he breaks the law.How many times you broke the speed limit this week M.r Perfect.

3. dan taylor says:

why if parent had some control over their children instead of allowing them to yell scream throw food and generally act worse than they would at home. people are paying for that night out thats what baby sitters are for .. it;s a great idea I applaude the guy and his idea

4. Freance says:

you are clearly as much of a dolt as the parents that allow their horrid vile children to behave like animals

5. emm says:

clearly the rantings of idiocy

4. Anonymous says:

I think it is an excellent idea. And it shouldn’t just apply to “white table cloth” style establishments.

5. Justice for All! says:

I quit going to places just for this very reason.
    People do not have kids today they have animals (sorry its not fair to the rest of the animals) they don’t care what their kids do.
    I have gone over to peoples tables and asked them to bring a leash with them the next time if they can’t control their kids.
    Maybe I will give this place a try.
    It couldn’t hurt now that the brats have to stay out.
    I agree with the other person it should be 10 and under.

1. heidi says:

We don’t take our 3 kids out to nice places to eat and they have had their “moments” at some small pizza places and what not. However, I have also had the owner of an establishment come over and complement me on the great behavior of my “animals” as you call them. I think my children were entertained by the small “pack” at another table in the pasta house. I am totally fine with this establishment banning children. It is their choice and people have the choice to go there if they choose. While there are those case of parents that don’t care about how their children behave. There are a lot of us who do. I don’t think that your hurtful comments helped those parents that might have just been having a bad day with their kids. And even if they were careless parents I think your comment made no different on their parenting style after you gave it. Although sometimes it feel like I’m raising animals, I love them dearly and I hope that I raise them well enough to show respect to others.

1. Nicole says:

I completely agree with Heidi’s comments. It is funny how “Adults” same animalistic behavoirs are excused. I guess it’s bettter to be drunk and disgusting than to be tired and antzy in the “civilized” persons mind. I am a non smoker and am highly offended by smokers polluting the air. Guess what, sometime you just have to deal with things that you dont like. However, I do agree that this business owner has the right to do with his busineess as he wishes. However, after all of the publicity is gone he better be right about his decision. I am sure there is business he will never be able to regain if things don’t work out. I guess some adults forget how they behave.

2. Voice Of Reason says:

I think this is one of those news stories that shouldn’t be a big deal. I see no problem with stores or proprietors making decisions to safe guard, or making the establishments better for all. I think the phrase “we reserve the right” needs to come back, and that just because an idiot is asked to leave a store does not make the person asking a racist. Now as far as this issue goes, we all know about parents that do not raise their children properly. Some parents prefer a laissez faire parenting style, that in which they prefer to not make a scene in public. This causes them to practically ignore them, which is what becomes problematic in a restaurant setting. This is unacceptable to the owner of this restaurant, and I am fine with this. Of course in my opinion if these laissez faire parents would be stronger in keeping their children clean and the food on the plate this would not be an issue.

3. Leslie says:

Very well said!

2. Anonymous says:

UR AN IDIOT

1. heidi says:

I am fine with this establishments choice. Totally fine and respect it in fact. I don’t understand how I am an Idiot. AND it is not only children that behave badly when in public. And it is not OK to behave badly regardless of agev. A few weeks ago when I was out with my husband I could not help but overhear a woman talk very loudly about how many calories were in her large alcoholic drink and how her husband would be getting lucky tonight. And on and on and on. She kept scolding her children for being too loud – but I hardly heard a peep from them! I did not go up to her table and give her a piece of my mind. I just had to deal with it like I deal with foul language, smoking, and other things that I find personally annoying. Unfortunatly life won’t always be fair. I guess people have a right to behave badly, use bad language, and smoke and I have a right not to hear it/smell it/ see it. But we all cannot win and have it our way. I think that this new rule will provide a place for people that don’t want to be around kids. Heck, even as a parent and a teacher there are times when I want “kid free time”. And with all of the comments of bad kid experiences (kids poopie diapers, and kids kicking the seats, kids climbing over the booths) I don’t blame them! Kudos to this place for providing it. However, I don’t think that people need to give someone a piece of their mind when leaving a restaurant because they did not care for the way a child was handled or that it “ruined” their dining experience. I hardly think disagreeing with someone in a comment form makes me an Idiot.

2. server says:

You’re an idiot dude. I’m a server in a restaurant and there’s been plenty of times that children have been more well-behaved and polite than the parents. Just today, I had a 2 year old with more manners than her father. I find no reason why you need refer to them as “animals”. God forbid you look at the parenting skills that lead to children acting the way they do. I can’t even count how many times mommy and daddy have been too busy with there text messages to reprimand their children. Children are not animals! They are what they’ve been taught to be. Also, look in the mirror. How many times have you been drunk and belligerent in the bar? Your obnoxious behavior interrupts my nice time, but you don’t hear me calling you an animal. Maybe you people should be put on a leash. Doggy want a bone? I have no qualms with the restaurant wanting to ban children. They have that right and we do need some dinners without interruption. However, maybe if you’re so bitter, cynical and overall miserable with your life you should just stay at home and keep your misery to yourself! Don’t rain on my parade!

3. John says:

I have to agree with you about kids being animals. The sad thing is, I beleive a lot of the problem goes back to our government. They keep sticking their noses into our personal lives and telling people how to raise their kids. Now people are afraid to discipline the kids or someone will call CYS or something like that. When i was a kid if I got spanked at school, I usually got it again when I got home. Now heaven forbid u lay a hand on your child.

1. Michele M. Lucas says:

Totally agree with you, John. We took our kids to a restaurant when they could behave nicely and six wasn’t the age. The last thing anyone wants to do is spend lots of cash to eat out and be tortured by screaming and wandering kids! Parents do not discipline kids; they take orders from them.
        Good for Mike V. He’s got the right idea.

4. familyman says:

It’s up to the establishment to decide the age limit and they have every right to. I have to say though, that I have been to many restaurants where it’s not the kids that are the animals. Give some of these adults a drink or two and they become more offensive then any loud child. BUT we’ll give them a pass since they are probably spending more than a family with kids. “justice for all” I bet you don’t have many friends and the few that you do probably are as miserable as you. I agree that people should control their kids behavior but it’s not your place to tell them how.

6. Freeland says:

I know lot of people that don’t watch there kids.
    I think it is a good thing. That is why that is a place for kids to eat.
    I would do the same thing if i owned a place like his.

7. AboutTime says:

Its thier own business and they can do what they like. Go somewhere else if you dont like it.

8. N.A. says:

I attended black tie dinners with governors, legislators, lawyers, and CEOs when I was a very small child. All of that was possible because I had parents and grandparents who took me out when I was young and taught me how to behave in public.

What does banning children really accomplish? As far as I can see, it simply delays the ability for children to learn. Obnoxious children bother me too, but the answer isn’t locking them up at home.

1. Joan says:

N.A. – if I am reading correctly, your stated ‘events’ points to a select social class -sad to say also most likely better educated – that understands what is or is not appropriate behavior in public. THIS IS THE ISSUE: I think the point here is not banning kids so much as banning PARENTS or GRANDPARENTS with children this age who do not understand how to manage the children properly, or to note when its time for the child to go home. You cannot teach a two year old child much – you just need to know when they are out of control OR SICK and its time to go. So….who is teaching the so-called parental figures? Providing opportunities means nothing when the parents themselves never learned.
      And if old enough, the kids do not learn what the parents do not teach them, and you need not worry, there are still plenty of venues available to teach them IF TEACHING THEM appropriate behavior is what the parents goal is. You obviously were gifted with thoughtful parents.

2. dan taylor says:

no it’s teaching them at home so that when they leave home they take their manners with them ….

3. Jim says:

Children don’t learn to act in a civil manner in public. The learn civility at home from their parents. Unfortunately in this age, the parents act like little more than 3 years olds so the children don’t know any better. The only recourse is to lock the children up at home so they don’t bother anyone.

4. Asha says:

The issue is of course with the parents and not the children. Parents just seem to lazy to parent these days. I mean for goodness sake just teach your kid some basic manners and we’ll already be streets ahead.

5. Anonymous says:

they need to banned adults!

9. Jim Berna says:

I believe that there are restaurants that should have an age attendence rule! I know that when my daughter was small she would have a baby sitter while her mother andI would go out for the evening! A restaurant for children should be a Mc Donalds because of their playlands and the food service is fast and a child can go to playland for their entertainment! Remeber, the attention span for a child under 6 years of age is about 15 to 20 minutes, with luck!

10. Anonymous says:

So do kids need to carry ID now?

11. Anonymous says:

i think it is wrong and kids are precious. They are ing the wrong the resturant should be punished.

1. Penn Hills says:

kids are not PRECIOUS! They are loud and obnoxious when they have to sit with no entertainment. I dont have kids and dont want to have yours at the next table distubing me or throwing food, kicking the booth, etc.

1. SWEETP;EACHES says:

AMEN TO THAT i SO AGREE!!!!!

2. Anonymous says:

Remember you were a kids once yourself. Did you forget?

3. kristy says:

no, but i got an a$$ whoopin’ if i misbehaved. not so with today’s kids. they’re free to “express themselves” at the expense of others’ enjoyment and relaxation.

4. Anonymous says:

than apparently you were not precious either. My kids were taught right. My 3 year old will sit with the best of you and not make a scene. She is quiet when in a restaurant and she knows to sit still until we leave. I hope that some homeless bum that hasn’t used deodorant comes and sits at the table beside you. NOw that is what I disagree with. I go to wal-mart and have to deal with the Amish stench all the time. THank god for kids because I DID teach my kid to tell them that they really should bathe.

2. Precious is what precious does. says:

Well until you have had dinner next to “precious” who leaves a dump in their diaper while you are trying to enjoy your dinner, you don’t fully understand “precious”.

1. katy says:

you mentioned a dirty diaper ..I can top that …changing it at the table and then whipping out a boob and breast feeding …….

2. dan taylor says:

now there isnt a thing wrong with breast feeding it’s a very natural things a simple cover over the breast shields breast and babt offers the momment of privacy but namny mothers havent been taught that themselves the cycle continues

3. kristy says:

i don’t like kids – never did – so why do i have to be subjected to them at every turn? not everyone likes them. if my dogs are welcome into an establishment, why should kids be allowed? hell, my dogs are better-behaved than most of these “precious” angels.

1. copchick says:

Hey Raul, are you serious? Give me a break. If you are so inarticulate, then don’t bother to comment. Sounds like you’ve got the problem pal.

4. Anonymous says:

Children are NOT “precious” to anyone but their own families (and even then not always). I don’t adore your child, and you don’t adore mine (and I certainly don’t expect you). What the heck is WRONG with you?! You’re probably the very kind of parent who is the very reason for this ban. Yes, our children are a blessing but NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR KID THE SAME WAY YOU DO!!! Why do you think we do????

12. Anonymous says:

Is this new policy the least restrictive manner to address the issue of preschoolers dining with parents and other family members? I know of a bar and grill that wants to cater to young adults and discourages senior adults over 60 to patronize the establishment. The seniors are in a protected class and can fight this battle. Granted that the under age 6 population has no legal protection under age discrimination in public accomodations, I can’t believe that a less restrictive solution can’t be explored.

1. CHUTE PAGLIONI says:

Sometimes it’s the parents that should be banned from the restraunt cause there dumber than the kids. They don’t know how to train them to keep their little noise makers shut. If your one of those parents then why don’t you just do us all a favor and get your food to go! Then you can listen to your little untrained angel brat carry on at home while your trying to eat your food and the rest of us can relax i a quiet atmosphere and eat in peace. KAPISH!

1. Bob says:

Adults can be worse than children. Why not have restraunts WITHOUT BARS! A restraunt does not need people drinkining at bar in it. I say either restraunt or bar, not both!

2. rugrat says:

My Money spends elsewhere…I will be around alot longer than that place……Looks like a winkys….

2. anonymous in response says:

Why does everyone need protected????? Owner: “This is my restaurant. Go away.” End of discussion.

13. Ferguson says:

It really isn’t a rule against children as it is about bad parenting.

1. Jojo says:

Precisely!

14. Silence Is Golden says:

Kids only behave how parents teach them. By banning children, they also ban parents who don’t take responsibility for ill-behaved kids. I am for this ban. Not only does it ban loud noisy kids, but it bans the loud noisy parents who scream at the kids in public rather than teach the kids how to behave. When i go to an establishment like this, it’s for a nice, quiet dinner. I don’t go to listen to loud kids or parents. Next, we should work on banning cell phones in restaurants.

1. Joan says:

YES! YES! and YES!

15. Anonymous says:

This all goes out the window, however, if they allow dogs in there.

1. kristy says:

my dogs are better-behaved than the majority of these brats. i stayed at a bed and breakfast in gettysburg that has an open-door policy for dogs, but does not allow kids. love it!

16. Joan says:

Kudos to McDAins! Banning the kids is the ONLY WAY TO BAN BAD PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS from bringing the kids so that their bad parenting skills are not inflicted on others. Its not the kids’ fault. Sure, its hard to put up with noisy kids – but its even harder to put up with the so-called ‘parental figures’ who the real nuisances that cant or wont admit the nuisance they are creating -either by ignoring the kids behavior or by disciplining the kids right in front of everyone, and worst of all not acknowledging a child may even BE ILL and should GO HOME.
    If TEENAGERS or ADULTS acted as nuisances, then they would be asked to leave – right? If the adults are responsible for the ‘nuisance’ kids, then the adults with kids acting up should know to leave, or end up being asked to leave. These irresponsible ‘parents’ dont consider themselves as the REAL nuisance and get upset at being asked to leave, so you have to ‘head them off’ and exclude them from being served.
    I was one of 5 kids and our parents mostly only took us out to eat one or two at a time, and it was considered a special treat and only if we were old enough to know that, dressed appropriately, and behaved as if it were such. To this day I regard going out to a decent restaurant (not fast food or ‘cafeteria’ style’) as a special event, each and every time. And that includes many many special restaurants, all over the world.

17. john wallace says:

fantastic idea

18. Mayor of GBD says:

and get tossed for being an ass…BRILLIANT (not(.

19. anonymous says:

I have a 3 year old and I could care less about this rule or this restaurant. I ‘ll just go somewhere else. My husband and I teach our child to behave and use his manners but sometimes he sings and laughs in restaurants because he’s happy….is that wrong? Face it, some people just dont like kids. . It’s legal discrimination, somebody will figure out a way to sue them.

Did you ever sit next to an obnoxious “adult”? When you go out into the public, guess what….it’s the PUBLIC. Can I stop adults from saying the “F” word around my son in PUBLIC….no. Thats worse!

1. anonymous says:

Like!!!

2. stormie says:

You couldn’t have taught your child to behave and use his manners in public because in a former comment you theatened to punch someone in the mouth if they told you to bring a leash for your kid. The proper response would be to talk about it.

20. kristy says:

anonymous – i believe the people against this policy are the people who bred the ill-mannered little monsters that this restaurant’s prohibiting. hallelujah!

1. Yoi and Double Yoi says:

Now if they could only do something about the insensitive, self-centered louts who yammer on their cell phones through their whole meal, and seem to think that the rest of us are keenly interested in their inane conversations…………..

That’s asking for too much, I guess…be we can dream, eh?

2. word to kritsy says:

wow kristy in reading your many comments you sound truly to be a bitter woman! Not all kids are ill-mannered little monsters or snot nosed. We get it you don’t like kids but as far as being subjected to them at every corner really??? Did you hatch from a pod as a fully grown adult. You were perfect at birth? Even the most well mannered child will misbehave sometimes for most parents it is embarrassing when their little one acts out in public. I suggest if you don’t want to see kids that you locate an adult community where kids are not allowed were you and your little dog (whose poop obviously doesn’t stink, who is potty trained, who never barks or drools…) can live in peace!

1. kristy says:

not bitter at at all – just sick of over-indulgent parents who don’t train their kids. my dogs are better-behaved because they’re disciplined. sure i misbehaved – who hasn’t? – but when i did, i got a swat on the a$$ – no matter where i was – and i learned. now, the parents either feel the need to let their little angel express themselves or simply look the other way. sorry, but that’s the way that it is. it seems to me you fall into this category since you’re so insulted by the truth.

2. anonymous says:

God, Kristy, I really hope when you decide to grow up and have a family of your own, your kids are the worst behaved in the world. You’ll also find that you cant just give them a “swat on the a$$” because you live in fear of someone calling the police on you for child abuse. Although, you’ll probably be one of those parents who doesn’t care about your kids, only you dog…

21. kristy says:

i beiieve, after reading your “feel-good” posts, that you won’t be “acting.”

22. Barb says:

About Time.My hats off to McDains Resturant. I wish more Restaurants would do the same.Take your brats to McDonalds. They can act like animals there.You adults should try gettig some manners yourself.

23. Matt says:

Funny how liberals all go running to the ACLU. The owner of any business should be allowed to run it any way he likes. People who are against it can eat elsewhere. I love it

24. andy says:

i know when i was a kid if i opened my mouth i was reprimanded asap and didnt try it again.

25. Marilyn Steving says:

It’s about time. Many times I wanted to leave a restaurant due to unruly children. It’s one thing to allow your child to talk loud or act silly with their food and yet another to let them run around the restaurant while the parents are ignoring them.

26. fiona says:

Bravo! Other restaurants should take a hint. Right Bravo? Hint hint.

27. CHUTE PAGLIONI says:

Hey Pepole, leave your Snot Nosed Little Brats at home. There are those of us that don’t want to hear them, or deal with them. Been ther done that. My hat is off to the owner who had enough guts to set the bar for the rest of adult establishments who don’t care to deal with your little knuckleheads.

28. Leslie says:

I have no problem with this policy, and I have children.(2 boys age 10 and 7). The fact is, it IS very difficult for even the most well behaved, well parented child to sit still in one spot quiety for anything over 20 minutes, and parents should have the commen sense not to take young children to more adult atmospheres or restaurants where they can disturb the other customers. There are plenty of kid/family friendly more low key restaurants around that are appropriate to take the kids to (not just McDonald’s either), and that isn’t going to change anytime soon. Anyway, whenever I did/do get the chance to go to a restaurant that did not have chicken tenders on the menu or crayons at the table, you best believe I’m happy to leave my kids at home and enjoy the adult conversation! There is really no reason to get angry or offended. that’s just silly. It’s not discrimination, it’s commen sense.

29. Anonymous says:

My son is under six, and if any of you gave me a dirty look in a restaurant, I’d tell you to kiss my ass! THEY ARE KIDS, THAT”S WHAT KIDS DO!
    You were all children once………

1. kristy says:

you can kiss MY ass as well. just because your kids are the center of YOUR universe doesn’t make them the center of THE universe. your angels aren’t the be all and end all, and no one wants to deal with unruly brats. case closed.

1. ha says:

You really do sound like a bitter hag. I bet you are one of those obnoxious DRUNK that acts ten times once then a child.

2. Thomas J Duttine says:

I hope you get asked to leave from everywhere you take your little angel! It’s people like you who are the problem!

3. Anonymous says:

Parents like you and kids like yours are the reason this ban was enacted. Kiss my ass from the nearest Chucky Cheese

good one!

4. Nicole says:

Well said…..

30. jim says:

I think it’s great about time someone stands up I have a little child and I won’t take him out to eat because he will only sit so long and I like to enjoy my meal not listen to him scream and now a days if you try to correct your child at places like that people want to turn you in for child abuse

31. Disgusted says:

I could care less about what the restaurant does nor do I care about the policy. What really bothered me is reading through the comments and having children be referred to as “animals”, “brats”, “dogs”, ect. You are all adults. I understand that some of you don’t like children but why be so rude in your comments. I’m sure you could have expressed your satisfaction with the policy in another way. Remember, children ARE human beings. Children only behave how they are taught. Seriously, have some class people.

1. kristy says:

i was referring to dogs as dogs – not kids as dogs! *DUH* get your facts straight, disgusted.

2. fact says:

These children are animals brats or dogs because that is what their parents raised them to be. I see a lot of parents and children in my line of work. 50% of parents should be sterilized and have their children put in foster car so that they do not turn out to be animals brats or dogs.

32. N.A. says:

The only thing that disturbs me more than this age discrimination is the way that so many of you are referring to children. They are not animals, monsters, or snot-nosed brats. They ARE small human beings who have the distinct disadvantage of not being able to defend themselves against your attacks. Children misbehave. It’s part of life. Owners can make any decisions they want, but I wouldn’t frequent a restaurant that discriminated against the elderly or a racial group, and I’ll be sure to stay away from this place and it’s mean-spirited supporters.

1. kristy says:

good – no one needs you there.

2. Tracy says:

YEAH!!! Now I found a quiet place to eat since her noisy rug rats won’t be there! Horray

33. chevelle64 says:

this is discrimination, just because they are young doesnt mean they are going to be disruptive, that would be like charging more for car insurance just because they are 16 and never had a violation and are careful cautious responsible driver, if they cause a disruption tell them they have to leave but give them the right same as anyone until then, children have rights too.

1. Leslie says:

I’m reasonable confident that the under 6 population doesn’t care about going to a restaurant where they are need to be still and quiet, and are going to be “hushed” every 2 minutes just for being themselves. C’mon now, people. Kids have the right to be kids, so just leave them home or take them somewhere better suited for them.

2. Anonymous says:

No children don’t have “rights” in the sense you are talking about. 16 year olds do pay more for car insurance. A private restaurant can do this if they want, because a private restaurant doesn’t have to be constitutional. It is not discrimination because children aren’t a “class” of people. America gets dumber daily.

34. kristy says:

ever hear the old saying: “children should be seen and not heard?” i guess these “new-agey, cool, with-it” parents don’t agree with that. maybe if more parents disciplined their kids, the restaurant owner wouldn’t have needed to resort to such drastic measures. it’s pathetic that these parents, instead of being embarrassed, are insulted.

35. Anonymous says:

36. Mary says:

Somewhere over the years there’s been a shift of control. The parents no longer control the kids, the kids control the parents. Kids have way too many options today. They’re offered choices from the time they wake up to the time they go to bed. What do you want to wear? Which cup would you like? What kind of juice do you want? Which shoes do you want? When did all this start? What ever happened to here are your clothes, use this cup, if you don’t want this juice too bad, it’s what we have. Parents let the kids rule them. They try to reason with them. You cannot reason with a three year old. You need to be the adult and take control. Those that agree with the rule in this restaurant were probably raised by parents who loved them but had firm rules in place. They weren’t allowed to climb under tables or stand in the booth and look at the people behind them. They didn’t bang spoons on tables or throw food. They were taught better.

37. alf says:

wonder if you serve booz??? and if so you put those people on the road after drinking but you ban kids.good choice

38. Anonymous says:

My favorite comment by the owner was that he realizes that your kids are the center of YOUR universe, however they are not the center of THE universe. My kids are older now and I didn’t allow them to behave badly in public and I love this idea. When I go out with my grown daughters for a meal I don’t want to hear your brats yelling and causing grief. I’m not in charge of your kids and since i can’t discipline them I don’t want to be bothered.

39. Jay says:

Some real a-holes on here, on both sides of the argument.

I support this owner, without question. I have two small kids, but of course I remember what it was like when I DIDNT have them. People WITH kids have to understand their own children’s limits and not take them to places they arent ready for. People WITHOUT kids need to understand that the greatest parent in the world will sometimes have a kid that cries in a place you’d really rather they wouldn’t. I totally understand why this owner did this, and God bless him if it brings him more business and less problems at his particular establisment.

However….even before I had kids, I went to many more restaurants where the supposed “adults” were more obnoxious then they purport children to be. Screaming on cell phones, loud drunken conversations. And any comment on here about kids, and the parenting skills of others, from people who freely admit that they dont have kids, is just an absolute joke. And babysitting, or your relatives kids…they dont count. Judging someone else’s parenting skills by seeing their kids one time at a restaurant is like trying to determine by a single glance if a guy beats his wife, or if kristy’s dog is so much more obedient then a child because she kicked it and beat it every time it messed up when it was a puppy. Oh wait, I guess that was inflammatory, but its the internet, so I guess its alright to say “kristy beats her dog” without knowing a damn thing about her or it, just like she can say all the inflammatory things she’s said about children. Again, I hope the owner of this place makes alot more money. Theres plenty of other places to eat, no need to get excited over one establishment.

40. TransStellar, LLC says:

Let’s keep out kids, drunks, drugged up, loud, wrong political party, the shabbily dressed poor, groups of people who like to speak a foreign language around Americans “to talk about them in secret”, the stuck up rich, and people who think Australia is “Far Away” via the internet, adulterers, polygamists, etc. The list will never end. Just add all those to the List, and once it’s clean, My Gaming Clan will arrive, and consume dozens of steak dinners.

41. so wrong says:

I will not being going to this restaurant because what they are doing is completely wrong. I think there are some bitter people who for so reason hate children and that their problem not mine. If a child never goes to a restaurant how can they learn what is acceptable at a sit down enjoy your meal restaurant. No throwing a fit isn’t acceptable any where. This is all childish and rude everyone is going to have an opinion.

1. kristy says:

no, not bitter people, – just people who are sick and tired of parents not teaching their children proper manners at home and not disciplining them when they misbehave in public. since no one else can tame your kid, it’s up to you, and if you ain’t gonna do it, why should everyone else have to put up with obnoxious, unacceptable behavior? that’s your problem – not mine.

1. kristy says:

no, i’m not 350 pounds. i’m 5’4″, go to the gym regularly, and weight 102 pounds. i’m happilly married and CHOSE not to have kids because my husband and i didn’t WANT them. i’m a college graduate, have a great job, travel extensively, and live in the suburbs. you, on the other hand, sound like a pathetic loser.

2. Leslie says:

They will learn what is acceptable if you practice with them sitting at the family table at home. That is where the teaching starts, Then by the time they are old enough to go to a sit-down restaurant they know how to behave and there won’t be any issues, etc. And yes, I do have children. Sheesh

42. kristy says:

it makes you wonder how obnoxious the kids in his restaurant had to have been for him to even initiate this policy, yet the clueless parents, instead of being embarrassed, are insulted. how pathetic and sad.

43. Anonymous says:

44. Matthew says:

I think this is funny. If you want a restaurant for old people this is perfect. If you think your too fancy for kids obviously your prices and menu didn’t reflect that because people were bringing their kids. This just looks like a desperate attempt to find new business. I have never even heard of this place before this and I have lived in the are for years now. I personally take my 3 year old daughter to some pretty nice establishments and she is very well behaved. Maybe we should look to the lack of quality parenting in the area. Just saying.

45. Anonymous says:

I agree that not all children are ‘feral’ (that’s what we say in Aust).
    But I can see WHY this restaurateur and his customers have done this and supported this.
    I think children should be allowed everywhere with these provisos:
    1. That they do not encroach on anyone else’s space
    2. That they can be gently reminded to mind their manners or their decibel levels
    3. That there be child-free areas in fine restaurants, airport lounges and hotels that are clearly intended as mostly adult spaces.

If I enter a public library, family restaurant or children’s bookshop or a toy store, of course I expect to see, hear, dodge children of all ages and of all temperaments. But then again if I am traveling, dining, watching a film rated M15+ or with adult themes, I should NOT have to deal with squealing, bored, misbehaving children under 10! Why should I?! If we agree that non smokers should not be subject to other people’s toxic fumes, why should child-free or the elderly or others be subject to other people’s problem kids or misbehaving ones. Sure give them coaching, lessons, practice runs at fine dining manner and mores but *not in my time or space*!
    What would Maxine (cartoon character) say?!

1. Diane Walz says:

I love the idea of feral children, way to go.

46. david zerishnek says:

Great rule. Its’ harks back to a time when RESPONSIBILITY was how people were raised to behave. Don’t like it—Take your money, and screaming kids-elsewhere. Want a nice meal with a decent atmosphere—come on down. BTW whiners—-Iraised 3 bos, all within a few years of each other. McDionalds, BK and others cater to the minute set—6 and up are at the asge where they can , or should be able, to control their behavior. Congrats on common sense McDains. We” be there–all 5 of us, this week.

47. Uber-Dad says:

I’m all for a business owner laying their own rules. I love the idea.

However, as a father to 4, going on 5, children, I whole-heartedly disagree that all “blame” be placed on the parents or to judge them harshly. My 2 oldest children are unbelievably we behaved and are really great kids. #3, however, is the total opposite. He doesn’t listen and is the wild child. He is the reason that we do not eat out or go nice places.

Those of you who are judging probably don’t have many children or really any core experience with children. Every kid is different and sometimes no matter how you parent your kids, it doesn’t make much of a difference. That being said – if you DO have a wild child, as we do, stay home or have the common sense to realize you are going to affect others.

1. Anonymous says:

Thank you, Uber-Dad. Actually, I’d say you’re being a wonderful and considerate parent when you realize that the behavior of your wild child is not suitable for public and provide proper care for him/her when you need to go out to a restaurant or a social function where his/her behavior would be unacceptable.

I admit, I don’t have children. I’ve certainly worked with them, babysat them, was one, and grew up in a neighborhood with a boat-load of them, and I know from that experience that the maturity process is different for every child. When I was growing up, some of my neighbors had four children, one of which was simply uncontrollable. They were great parents, and I know they suffered a lot when they went out in public because it was always a struggle with her. They did what they could-babysitters for nights at nice restaurants, teaching manners at home, etc. But there are always times (like family vacations) when you can’t leave a child behind, and I try and remember that whenever I find myself irritated by the behavior of a child in a public place. I hope others can do the same.

Like you, I think the owner has every right to set his own rules, and I wouldn’t mind a few more restaurants where I know I could go for a quiet night. If it is an adult misbehaving in a nice restaurant for an extended period of time, I have no worries about asking the staff or manager to have a quiet word with them to tell them they are being too loud and other diners are complaining. I hesitate to do that with a family with children because I cannot possibly know what the family is going through.

48. Cobra9 says:

Kudos to McDain’s….A business owner is free to make his own rules. After all….whatever he chooses will affect his business, good OR bad. If he wanted only 30 to 35 year olds he can do that. It might PO a lot of other people but too bad. I don’t hear very many men complaining that they can’t get in to Just Ladies.(get my point?) But still, there are some “cough-cough” adults who need to learn some Public etiquette……I mean Really?…do you and your husband have to sit there each texting someone or talking on your phone while I’m eating? I don’t need to hear about how you are getting your hemorrhoids removed tomorrow while I’m trying to enjoy dinner. It’s just a sad fact that a lot of people have their heads up their @$$ when they are out in public.

49. John says:

I have contacted the ACLU and what they are doing is illegal. There will soon be a lawsuit against them over this. You can not pick and choose who you serve. Who is he going to ban next? Blacks? This is the typical idiot republicans in this country and what they think they can do. I wouldn’t go here if he gave me free food for life after doing something like this.

1. Anonymous says:

Well John we all know you did not contact the ACLU because they were asked about this by the media earlier in the week. They said no laws were being broken. They did say that a ban on seniors would have been a violation. Try watching the news before you post some made up story, moron.

2. kristy says:

the aclu approves of this. get your facts straight.

50. Mike says:

It’s not the kids, it’s the parents. I have two small boys that have been gong to all sorts of restaurants almost since birth and we don’t have problems because we wouldn’t tolerate them. Same goes for airplanes. My 2 year old has been about 10 planes already and we’ve even had people saying, “I didn’t even know there was a baby on board.” (And he’s been FAR more mannered than many adults on planes.). All that said, if this private business wants to run things their way, they should be allowed to do so. Although, in our society, some people wouldn’t call this discrimination but they would say you can’t exclude people on race, nationality, etc. And that’s a joke, exclusion based on membership in a certain group is discrimination, period. Again, though, in my opinion business owners should have the right to run it their way, including serving or not serving who they want.

51. leo zarazowski jr says:

LET EAT AND PARK DO THAT BAN BRATS .

52. JAY JAY says:

IT’S HIS PACE HE CAN DO WHAT HE WANTS,

53. johnny paul says:

I must really be bored , I read all theses comments. I’m for it but the age is to young , 14 should be the cut off

54. F you says:

As a parent I would never take my child to a “nice” restuarant. But there is nothing wrong with kids going to family restaurants. If you don’t like kids while you eat, you should off yourself.

55. JustSaying says:

I fully support and commend this restaurant for their decision to ban young children! If parents want to include their little ones there are many kid-friendly restaurants to choose from. A lot of patrons, myself included, do not appreciate their dinners being interrupted by unruly children accompanied by parents that do not have the common sense or ability to control their children! I only wish that more ‘adult’ restaurants would follow suit. As far as the ACLU goes, they have already weighed in on this and gave it their blessing.

56. Yoi and Double Yoi says:

Now, if they could only do something about the louts who yammer constantly on their cell phone the whole time they are in the restaurant…and who also seem to think that the rest of us are keenly interested in their inane conversations.

I guess that’s asking too much, but we can dream, can’t we?

57. Marty Griffin Ace Reporter says:

I’m taking my screaming kids there today with my handy dandy undercover camera so I can get my entire family on the TV news

58. Diane Walz says:

I agree completely with the no children concept. There is nothing more annoying than going out for dinner and having to listen to someone’s screaming or unruly children.. I have 3 grown children and 2 grandchildren so I am not anti child, just would like a peaceful night out once in a while

59. a proud parent says:

Personal opinion. That is why we have child felonies. It is because the parents always pond them off onto someone else so that they can go out alone. My kids go everywhere with me and my three year old is more grown-up than most adults I know. She will sit with her voice at an inside tone and she eats quietly. ONce we are outside, that is a different story. They know how to behave. As far as the person complaining about a diaper smell….PLEASE. Guess you never were a baby and had a diaper. Try going into Wal-Mart and having to be in the same aisle with the Amish. Now that is what smells. I hope this restaurant gets loud adults and I hope the parents with children 7 years old..well…I hope their kids act up. Just to show them a lesson. I have seen 12 year old kids act up worse in restaurants. Adults…yeah…they do the same.

1. kristy says:

wow. are you immature or what. hoping that a seven-year-old will act up? you must be mother of the year. we have child felonies because parents pawn (not pond) off their kids to someone else? you take your kids everywhere with you? lady, you need to get a life – and FAST.

1. bp says:

Wow Kristy – apparently you don’t have anything better to do than troll these responses like an obsessed maniac. You’re one angry, miserable person!

60. Anonymous says:

I teach my children to use there mannors. Please and Thank You. I tell them that there is a time and a place to be loud and run around “the park” If we are out to dinner you are expected to “be GOOD”. When my children ask me question. I answer then in an honest way. I don’t lie to them. One day my daughter ask me why some people have different color skin. I said their are people of all different kind of skin colors. Just because we look different does not mean you can’t be friends with them. If there is a place we have to go that kids are not alound. I tell them its for Adults only and someday you will be one. Sometime my husband and I will go to dinner without the kids. I hate when I get stuck sitting next to someones screaming, running around missed behaived kids. I want quite time! I live in the South Hills probley would never eat at this place. Just ask youself. Would you take your child to a bar? Adults only!!!!

61. Anonymous says:

Great idea,but should have been expanded it to a min.age of 12.It is a shame parents don’t or will not teach their kids manors or how to behave in public.However,if you look at some of the comments,the parents aren’t any better.

62. JAY JAY says:

HIS PLACE HE CAN MAKE THE RULES

63. Anonymous says:

I think it’s a great idea. He can run his business however he wants. Bars ban disruptive people all the time. Also I think if you can’t spell you shouldn’t be allowed to post.

64. Mom of 2 says:

Interesting comments on both sides.

I’m a Mom of 2 boys (13 and 10) I find it funny to read comments on here from other parents who are outraged and claim that their children NEVER misbehave in a restaurant, really??? Remember you are seeing them through your own eyes. There have been times when we have been out with our kids and other peoples children are running around the restaurant while we try to eat. I’ve witnessed kids throwing food parents playing ‘tag” with their kids to “keep them busy” until the food comes. It’s horribly disruptive.

On the other hand, not too long ago we were out to eat and my 10 year old commented about the obnoxious man at the next table who was loud, using profanities and answered numerous phone call…with a loud ring tone. When the guy left he said, “I’m glad he’s gone, now I can enjoy my meal.” There is rude behavior from adults as well. One evening while out with adult friends I overheard someone at a near by table complain that a family with kids had been seated by them. The kids were great but the woman that complained was rude and loud, she kept belching really loud and then laughing about it. She actually belched the alphabet, maybe funny at a bar but not while I’m eating.

Oh and since it has been mentioned on here, pet owners too….I have a dog but I don’t want your dog sniffing at me when I’m trying to eat my ice cream or have a conversation with someone at the park, your dog is only cute to you…(my dog is cute to everyone,lol) You may clean up after your pet but many do not and I don’t want to smell or step in your dogs poo. I don’t want your dog running over to my picnic. I don’t want your dog jumping on me. I only take my dog to appropriate places so leave yours at home.

The way I see it is this owner has the right to make it an adult only establishment if he wants to. If you have small children there are plenty of family friendly restaurants, patronize those businesses and teach your children how to behave. If you don’t want to be around children, there are plenty of places that are not child friendly where very few people take their kids, find those places and go there. But don’t go into a place with a children’s menu and complain because there are kids there, don’t go into a bar and complain that your kid isn’t welcome. When my husband and I want a night out alone, we are willing to pay more for the places where we know there will not be kids.

There is a time and place for everything.

65. Anonymous says:

From what I’ve read most of you fail to realize that McDain’s is not a family restaurant. This is a small bar and restaurant that is part of a golf practice range. Most of the people I’ve seen during the day while on the driving range myself are people having a drink after practicing or people who come along with their friend or spouse just to drink while they practice. It isn’t really a place for kids.

66. Anonymous says:

Please, people are so touchy. If you go out somewhere and your biggest concern is the behavior of others or threir children, you have some growing up to do. Banning kids from eating in a place is pretty lame. Someone should bring a bag of mice or rats in and sabotage this place so this guy has health code violations. Loser.

1. kristy says:

wow. you’re so very mature. releasing rodents into his business? do you have kids? if so, i pity them having you as a parent. i think YOU need to do some “growing up.” you’re a piece work. YOU’RE the loser.

67. joe says:

doesn’t matter….like 99% of all pittsburgh restaurants…i bet their food sucks!

If pittsburghers knew what good food was, Giant Eagle would have run out of business decades ago!

68. Anonymous says:

We raised two daughters and went out to eat often. We made one trip to the restroom each when they misbehaved in a restaurant. We didn’t beat them..we let them know that we were the boss and their behavior had to stop..NOW! They undrstood there were consequences and the consequences would follow when we got home..

69. rugrat.... says:

This place should be in walmart…have you seen it???? One day my kids will be old enough to go to this place…and so will everyone elses….Good business man running this establishment….joke…..

70. Tom says:

I have no problem with it as long as they also kick out the foul-mouthed drunks who patronize during Stiller season too! I don’t need to hear that language.

71. Anonymous says:

I’ve often said we needed a child free section in restaurants. I ger really sick of running and screaming kids when I’m trying to have a relaxing evening out.

1. MHO says:

Might I suggest you patronize establishments that are not kid friendly. Big HINT here…if it has a “children’s menu” then it’s family friendly, STAY AWAY!!! I have 2 kids, when they were little we only took them to family friendly places. When hubby and I wanted a relaxing evening alone we went to places that were designed to serve adults. Simple. McDains want to make it known they serve a certain clientele no biggy.

I would like to enjoy a night out without loud mouth drunks and obnoxious teenagers…oh wait I do that, I don’t go to places they patronize!

72. Anonymous says:

Great idea, to bad their food is lousy!

73. John says:

When I was a kid I was nicely behaved. So were my siblings.
    I had fun but was taught to act in a respectful way when with others.
    Some kids aren’t like that these days sadly. Its their parents fault but some of the parents don’t know how or don’t want the responsibility and hard work of being a parent. They expect teachers and business owners to set boundaries on behavior when they are the ones who should of done it in the first place.
    Best of luck McDain.

74. Marcia Mariacher says:

It is well and truly about time someone stood up and did this. 30 and 40 years ago it was just “understood” that people did not bring their children to upscale restaurants (they also had dress codes then). One of the rites of passage into “growing up” was to be taken to an “adult” restaurant. Children were on their best behavior because they knew it was “special”.

For me: “I’ll have ‘no smoking’, ‘no shrieking’, thank you.”

75. pghdan says:

Well for all people of the Christian faith on here there is a place where you can go when you die and you will never hear a child’s voice. And that is a place I hope I never have to go.

1. kristy says:

dramatic much? you’re reaching and going a “tad” overboard, don’t you think? just because people don’t want to put up with children at a restaurant, they’re going to hell?

76. Anonymous says:

You all with such negative comments about kids can GO TO HELL!!!!!

There have been many times that I have been out & seen children older than 6 act a fool…

1. kristy says:

right back at ya, slick. you’ve gotta be one of the “over 6 and act a fool” people, huh?

77. Jennifer Lawson says:

I personally have never been to this establishment but I feel that he has the right to do as he wishes with his business and honestly being the mother of 7 children I would find it nice to when I want to go to a nice dinner with my husband (without the children) we now will have a place to go. I realize some say this isn’t fair and they won’t go there and that is there right but for small children do you really think they care if they go to a fancy place to eat or not? No they would rather McDonalds or Chuck E Cheese where they can be kids and not have to worry about sitting still and being quit for over an hour or more. If people just used commen sense alot of things would be avoided. So I say thumbs up to you and I look forward to a nice evening out with my husband at your establishment!!

78. Greta says:

I love this idea. I chose not to have children for various reasons and think there should be places for those of use who made this choice free of children. There have been several occasions when I have had to leave a restaurant because of all the children running around when I should have been able to enjoy my dinner and the environment peacefully and like an ADULT.

1. kristy says:

I couldn’t have put it better myself. i can’t “inflict” my dogs on the public while at a restaurant, so why should others “inflict” their kids?

1. geez oh man says:

You’ve trolled the comments for THREE straight days now. Wow, get a life already!!

2. hmmm says:

geez oh man I couldn’t agree with you more!! LOL

I am a parent and happen to have no problem with McDains or any other establishment restricting the age of the patrons.

I would suggest to Greta, kristy and all the others who by choice have no children (to each their own.) that if you do not want to dine around or associate with families that have made a choice to have children then please avoid places they will be. We ALL have rights. If I take my children to a place that has a “children’s menu” then they are saying my children are welcome there. If they misbehaved (they are older now) then I got the meal packed to go and we left. If I wanted a child-free evening with my husband I avoided family friendly establishments…I suggest you do the same. If there are LOTS of kids running around (which I would never have tolerated) then that’s a big clue that families dine there and you shouldn’t!! My kiddos are 10 and 13 and I avoid those places because we like to have an enjoyable meal.

Families with children have the right to dine out, singles and couples who don’t want children have the right to dine out, smokers and non-smokers have the right to social evenings out, drinkers and non-drinkers….I could go on and on, but don’t expect every establishment to bow and cater to your personal likes and dislikes, find the ones that do and go there…simple!

(kristy…I have to agree with some of the posts here, you really do come across as bitter. Your post are argumentative and insultive. You would win more favor in getting the things you want if you learned a little persuasion, you say you’re college educated…One more thing, you commented about your B&B you stayed at….more places allow children than dogs, just thing about it…))

79. moleman says:

Age six is not good enough. Children under the age of 18 or when they can buy their own meals should be banned. I’ve seen & heard some teens fighting like cats & dogs over food, cell phones, girlfriends etc while parents sit in a state of despair & helplessness.

80. db@aol.co says:

Yuppies need to learn how to raise their children. They are to book smart. No common sense.

1. Burghnerdman says:

Common sense is not that common anymore. I wish it were.

81. Anonymous says:

The first time my children acted up in a restraunt was the last time. We just placed our order and they were acting up, another family was there and their children were acting up. I asked my husband to take the kids to the car, summoned the waitress to pack up our food to go we went home and told them that if they ever act up again, they would never go to another restraunt with us again. Never happened again, lesson learned. I do not want to go out and listen to a group of whining kids and parents constantly telling their kids to be quite. I really think the age should be higher 10 -12 years old.

Maybe they should start teaching equiette and proper manners again in school.

I do love my kids and my grandkids and they all know that I expect good behavior at all times.

When I go out I want to enjoy my time with peace and quite conversation…No KIDS, No CELL PHONES or PAGERS. This is another reason why I love fall and winter vacations..the kids are in scholols. My husband and I can enjoy each other and quite conversation without screaming kids in the background.

82. John says:

Kristy’s comments seem intelligent and right on the mark.

83. Drew says:

kids will be kids but at the same time parents should actually parent and raise their own kids. I was at a transformers movie the other day and some couple brought their infant 3 month year old to the movie. the kids was screaming and crying the whole time and the parents did nothing. People in the the theater were gettings very upset to the point everyone started “shushing” and started yelling at the couple. I guess common sense is something not very “common” in our sciety anymore.

84. Burghnerdman says:

People don’t raise their children anymore, they have them. Most young parents are so rapped up in themselves, they don’t care what their child is doing. “Their not hurting nothing”. I love when a service person has too correct the child, then, the adult gets bent out of shape about it. If the parent were paying attention in the first place, the child wouldn’t have to be corrected.

85. Jo-Ann says:

Restaurants are not Romper Rooms. I totally agree with the ban on children …. up the age to ten and enjoy a nice, quiet meal.

Comments are closed.