Recent Grad Duped By Job Scam On Craigslist

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — A recent graduate of West Virginia University, Megan Kletzli, of Moon Township, logged onto Craigslist to see if there were any job openings in Morgantown.

What she found nearly cost her a lot of money.

Two similar job ads caught her attention.

“They needed a personal assistant to do documentation for them, to do errands for them,” she told KDKA Money Editor Jon Delano. “Stuff like that which I thought I would be able to do.”

Kletzli says it sounded legitimate, so she sent a cover letter and resume. Her application was accepted.

That’s when things took a turn to the unusual. One boss sent her money orders totaling $1,850. Another boss sent a check for $2,450.

“I was supposed to cash the whole thing but put my salary into my bank account,” Kletzli recounts. “And then take the rest of the money, take the transfer fees out too, and then send it out to Western Union to certain places they wanted me to send it too.”

Unbeknownst to Megan, both the check and money order were counterfeit, so when her bank cashed them, she was on the hook for over $4,000.

Luckily, when she wired money through Western Union, the company suspected fraud and stopped payment to the recipient.

“He called me 26 times in six hours to find out why the money wasn’t going through,” says Kletzli.

That’s when she suspected a scam and turned it over to the Moon police.

“I was very, very lucky that they caught it for me,” she says.

Whether it’s something on Craigslist or an unsolicited email, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Here’s another hint of fraud: if somebody sends you a lot of money and wants you to send most of it back, call the cops.

RELATED LINKS
More Local News
More Reports By Jon Delano

More from Jon Delano
Comments

1. Dan says:

How stupid can people be?

1. Carmen says:

Hey Dan you nailed it. Thirty years ago I auditioned for the Steel City Angels in Monroeville and after all of the hard work the Chipanellis told me I had to pay $500.00 for uniforms, they told me I could dance it off, everytime ther was a show they would make me sit out until I got the message. I can’t prove it but those girls are not dancers if you know what I mean only because the audience was alway’s full of weird men.

2. KKnox says:

That’s just as bad as those idiots on TV saying you can make tons of money in the business of selling real estate, with out a licence I guess.

3. Vern says:

If it wasn’t for stupid people, there would be no news to report

1. Chris, Not it Mooon says:

Amen brother. How damn dumb do you have to be? “Oh I am getting all kinds of money, but I have to send alot of it back. This seems legit to me. Why wouldn’t they just cash the checks themselves if this wasn’t a real business? I’m so happy I found my dream job on Craigslist!!!” I’m so glad this is the future of America!

2. Chris, Not in Moon says:

4. Gilroy says:

I’d take those checks to the Check Cashing Store and walk away with the money

1. Lee Ann says:

I would do the same thing Gilroy

Comments are closed.