Neighbor Arrested In Murder Of 92-Year-Old Woman

CALIFORNIA BOROUGH (KDKA) — Police have made an arrest in the death of an elderly woman in Washington County.

David A. McClelland, 56, was a neighbor of 92-year-old Evelyn Stepko. He will be arraigned on criminal homicide charges.

Washington County District Attorney Steven Toprani says Stepko had been living in fear. She had a considerable amount of cash in her home and experienced a number of burglaries.

“We do know from talking to her neighbors she was fearful,” Toprani said. “She was fearful of our subject and that she was fearful of continued home burglaries, so much so she covered her windows and took steps to secure her home.”

Police believe the man who was cutting her lawn is responsible for her death. In an interview with KDKA-TV earlier this week, McClelland said he chased someone off the property. Now he is the one under arrest.

Police say they found a latex glove inside the victim’s home at 1076 Pike Run Drive in Coal Center. They also found fingerprints on the glove which led them to their suspect, David A. McClelland.

Police have also detained his son, David J. McClelland, who was actually a police officer in Washington Township. He has been charged with criminal homicide, criminal conspiracy, receiving stolen property and aiding consumption of a crime.

mcclelland 2 Neighbor Arrested In Murder Of 92 Year Old Woman

David J. McClelland (Photo Credit: Pennsylvania State Police)

Police are executing a search warrant. They say they have found knives. Stepko was stabbed to death.

The victim’s family was present for the press conference at the State Police Barracks in Belle Vernon because they wanted to hear the latest information about the case.

“Why did you do it?” Dolores Sprowls, Stepko’s niece, said. “She would have given you anything you wanted. Just ask her for it. She would have handed it to you. Didn’t need to kill her like that.”

RELATED STORIES
Community Rocked By 92-Year-Old Woman’s Murder
92-Year-Old Woman Stabbed To Death In Washington County

Comments

1. bubba says:

hang these 2 pos from the nearest tree, they don’t deserve a trial

2. rose says:

I agree with Bubba

3. Tezzy says:

And for what? Some cash she had laying around. These two are NO better than child molesters. I guess the rotten cop doesn’t fall far from the tree! Yep…..hang ’em both, right after they are terrorised for a few months….just like they did to her before they murdered her. May you both rot in hell.

4. Anonymous says:

this is just evil,hang them by their by feet.

5. rose says:

Glad that others agree with me and Bubba. Tezzy, I like you!

6. Jim says:

How could you do this to your elderly neighbor? I have always watched and cared for all of my elderly neighbors. I have always done everything I could for them. This is just disgusting.

7. Colleen Barry- Rummell says:

I knew the victim well, my whole life. She was such a sweet, little lady. Kind to all she met. Would give anyone anything that she had. Such a senseless tragedy! May they rot in hell!

8. rose says:

does it surprise anyone except myself that a cop could POSSIBLY be invoved in a cover up?

9. Anonymous says:

DAVID A RAISED ME FOR TEN YEARS THERE NO POSSIBLE WAY HE COULD HAVE DONE THIS, AND I DON’T BELIEVE IT! SECOND OFF DAVID J IS LIKE A BROTHER AND HE NEVER WOULD HAVE TO PLEASE STOP WITH THESE COMMENTS!!!

1. 'LOVE' says:

HAY ANONYMOUS DAVID A. AND DAVID J. McCELLAND ARE TWO WORTHLESS SOB’S THAT HAD TO ROB MY AUNT’S HOUSE AND STEAL HER MONEY THAT MY AUNT EVEYLN AND UNCLE MIKE WORKED SO HARD FOR I HOPED THEY ENJOYED THE HIGHLIFE OF SPENDING HER MONEY .CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE RUBBER GLOVE WITH HIS FINGER PRINTS ON IT ? ARE THEY NOW DOCTORS WITH RUBBER GLOVES? WE WILL ALL MISS ARE AUNT THANKS TO THESE TWO SOB’S THAT TOOK HER LIFE.

2. Anonymous says:

Hmmm Which one are you Gabby, or David…. Look he did it, it doesn’t matter what you think

3. Anonymous says:

David J is a DIRTY COP!

10. Allen Pettit says:

Hey anonymous, if you want to stick up for these murderers, then at least give us your real name….they should both get the death penatly, no trial, straight to the chair!!!

11. Mark says:

I think I seen the old man changing money in the slot machines at the rivers on Sat. late afternoon. Me and my mom swear it was him he kept on putting 20 after 20 after 50 in the slots and did not play just kept cashing out when he got the balance up a few hundred. Maybe I should let the cops know what do ya think?

12. Mark says:

Im sorry I meanFriday afternoon!!! My bad.

13. LOVE says:

MARK EVERY LITTLE INFO WILL HELP.CONCACT THE BELLE VERNON STATE POLICE DEPT. WITH THE INFO THANKS

14. Ann says:

Torture and then execute.

15. Mark says:

One thing I have to ask anyone knowing this man, does or did he weare his hair in a very small pony tail in the back then he is the one I seen at the Rivers and will reoport it.

16. LOVE says:

I beleive he did have a small poney tail go ahead and report it because they have cameras and have him on VIDEO coming in and going out. Thanks.

17. linna says:

It is a shame . Elderly citizens are the newest targets in a lot of crimes.

18. Mark says:

I went down the Rivers and informed them when and where (machine) so they said they will watch the tape i don’t know what will become of it. I also called the California Chief of Poloce and left a message on further conversation lets find a safer way to communicate if that is alright with you.

19. The Watcher says:

The Mon Valley is rife with Police corruption! Complaints to the FBI office in Charleroi are not investigated! The U.S. Dept . of Justice turns a deaf ear. I have made several allegations of police misconduct and oppression to both agencies and supplied them with pertinent evidence. My efforts have been ignored! So much for “…and justice for all.”

1. Anonymous says:

The Monongahela PD is CORRUPT!!!

1. Living in fear of reprisal in the Mon Valley. says:

Agreed! Their tentacles reach into several communities thru contracted police coverageof same! They should all be subject to financial audits and mandatory drug testing. They have officers implicated in drug dealing and obstruction. It’s been going on for years and dissenting voices have been silenced thru oppression! They are a corrupt organization and the only way to restore public confidence is a COMPLETE change of personnel. One other observation: There has never been a “person of color” on the force!

20. mair says:

Due to the nature of this crime and where it happened by a bar where Blacks frequent, how many of you in that neighborhood just knew it was someone black answer this question honestly and I bet 100% of you thought that. Crime is everywhere and it involves all races.

Comments are closed.