Couple Safe But Fire Destroys Home In Butler County

CALLERY BOROUGH (KDKA) — An overnight fire in Butler County that left a couple homeless and killed one of their pets has been ruled accidental.

According to the state police fire marshal, the Callery Fire Department is blaming the blaze on a cord to a window air conditioning unit.

Ed and Judy Conway lost their house in the fire. Ed says his wife has struggled, but survived, several recent health issues, including cancer, and now this.

“I just think about all that she’s been through,” said Conway. “She is a real fighter.”

Conway is president of the Callery Borough Council, and Judy is also a council member. This morning, the community showed a massive amount of support for them.

“They showed up in pours today,” he said.

The fire started in the back of the house around 4 a.m. Judy woke up and saw the tube to her oxygen smoking and screamed for her husband. Ed tried to put out the fire but it was too late.

“By the time I got her out of there and turned around, the smoke was starting to get to us,” said Conway. “We would have died from the smoke pretty quick had she not… I still don’t know what woke her up.”

The couple’s dog was rescued from the fire; however, they did lose their pet parrot.

Callery Borough
More News from Butler County

More from Heather Abraham
  • Anonymous

    smoking in bed and on H2O.. jeesh

    • Anon.

      Thank goodness you all are okay! You are in our thoughts and prayers.

  • i see dumb people

    read the story goofball

blog comments powered by Disqus
Bringing You The Best in Sports Talk Radio
Download And Win Today!

Listen Live