Steelers Lose TE Matt Spaeth To Bears

By: Mike Vukovcan

Pittsburgh (KDKA)- The Pittsburgh Steelers are in the market for a backup tight end after losing Matt Spaeth to the Chicago Bears.

The Steelers envisioned him being a red zone target because of his height, but, he was nothing more than a blocking tight end.

No word on what Spaeth received from the Bears.

Here’s the Steelers current tight end depth chart:

*Heath Miller (Starter)
*David Johnson (2009 draft pick)
*Eugene Bright (1st year player from Purdue)
*Weslye Saunders (2011 undrafted free agent)
*Vaughn Charlton (2011 undrafted free agent)
*Jamie McCoy (1st year player from Texas A&M)

Comments

1. Peter Topa says:

I feel that the steelers should have kept Matt Spaeth, he caught balls when thrown to scored when he had to I feel he was not given credit for this he and Miller were a great combo. Now I feel he won’t be able to do anything with the bears.

2. Dave says:

It is not his fault the Steelers have been under using their tight ends for years. Heck the Steelers have one of the best tight ends in all of football in Heath Miller and they still don’t use him enough.

3. Tom says:

Thank god. Guy of his ability can be found in the later rounds or rookie FA. Was never worth a 3rd round pick or 3rd rounder money. That pick could have been used on a OL, DL, or DB in 2007. Hope he has success in Chi-town.

4. Charles says:

Nothing more than a blocking tight end? Whose fault is that?

5. breydenscott says:

“Spaeth has been a disappointment for the Steelers after they used a 3rd round pick on him back in 2007.”

Say what? Matt Spaeth did his job and did it well. Putting the term “Sports” before journalist doesn’t give you the right to spew falsehoods and personal opinions, Mr. Vukovcan. Leave that to the fans, please.

1. mikevuk says:

Sorry but as long as I continue to work here I’ll give my opinion…..What falsehoods were given? More should be expected out of a 3rd round pick……Name me one big highlight of Matt Spaeth’s career with the Steelers……Getting in trouble with Jeff Reed doesn’t count!

1. breydenscott says:

What are you apologizing for? Just tell me: are you a journalist or a blogger? If you’re a blogger, then there is no problem, you can have all the opinions you want. If you’re a journalist, then there is a problem. Journalists report news based on fact. Some of what you wrote is unfounded opinion. Statements such as “Spaeth has been a disappointment …” is a falsehod because it is an opinion stated as fact. And your challenge for me to name “one big highlight” is also disingenuous because the term “big” gives you an out (oh, that’s a highlight, but it’s not a “big” highlight). And though you disparage the fact that he became “nothing mnore than a blocking tight end” the Steelers offense has moved the ball pretty well over the past couple seasons, I assume with help from blocking tight ends. Like Aaron Smith, perhaps Spaeth’s contribution to the team isn’t based on the numbers game. Or are you going to tell me Smith is a disappointment because he doesn’t get a lot of sacks? Be that as it may, I’ll give you five Spaeth highlights … each of the TDs he caught as a member of the team. All I’m asking is that you support your statement of fact that he was or is a disappointment. If you provide acceptable rationale for that conclusion, then I’ll agree with you and we can move on.

6. mikevuk says:

I”m both…Combo of facts and opinions….I’ll stick to my statement that he was a disappointment…..3rd round picks should have more impact….If he was a 5th, 6th or 7th, then his performance would’ve been OK……If he was so productive David Johnson wouldn’t have moved ahead of him on the depth chart and they also would’ve made an attempt to resign him……Please don’ compare Spaeth to Aaron Smith, who was considered by EVERY TEAM, PLAYER one of the best defensive ends in football…..Come up with a better defense of Spaeth than comparing him to Aaron Smith…..That’s insane

1. breydenscott says:

Oh come on, are you really going to go there? FACT: I never suggested Spaeth was as good a player as Mr. Smith. FACT: I neither compared the quality of their play, nor their onfield impact. FACT: I compared their lack of mind-blowing statistics. You stick your statemet, and I’ll stick to mine about the difference between journalists and bloggers.

2. breydenscott says: