Steelers Training Camp Notes: Aug. 2
August 2, 2011 9:18 PM
Jeff grew up in Sharpsville (Mercer County) and has a BA in Journalism...Read More
Steelers CentralBuy Steelers Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.Sign Up
It was a double practice for the Steelers today at St. Vincent College with the afternoon workout in pads. A couple of notes from camp today:
- Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders is out 2-3 weeks as he hurt his surgically repaired foot during the first practice. He said the team wanted to be cautious and he expects to be okay for the regular season. Sanders is having bone marrow injected into his foot.
- Receiver Limas Sweed could benefit the most from Sanders’ injury and Plaxico Burress signing with the Jets. The tall target told the Fan’s Joe Starkey he is 110 percent healthy and ready to go. Hard to tell in only two practices in pads how well he is doing.
- Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley is talking contract extension with the team and tells Vinnie and Cook he’s just worrying about training camp right now and not his extension. Interesting in talking about Ike Taylor, “that’s showing what this team and organization that they are committing to players to keep this championship team together.” Sounds like a good sign.
- Chris Hoke said he was really excited to be back at Steelers camp and was teased by Casey Hamption about it. Hoke said he was pleased Hampton pushed for the team to re-sign him. “I’ve been here 10 years, four of my kids have been born here in Pittsburgh. We didn’t want to go anywhere, when it came down to it, this is where I wanted to come to.”
- Steelers signed 6’5” tight end John Gilmore after nine years split with the Buccaneers and Bears. The 31-year-old from Penn State said he was excited to be fighting for a No. 2 job. Gilmore says his phone was “blowing up” when the word was out about him coming to Pittsburgh. Gilmore doesn’t think it will take long to learn the Steelers system.
- Head coach Mike Tomlin said they had good work today. Injuries-Sunny Harris (triceps strain), Cortez Allen (tight hamstring), Bryant McFadden (tight hamstring), Jamie McCoy (heat-related illness). Some young corners took advantage of some opportunities and one was third round pick Curtis Brown. Tomlin was non-committal about Sanders injury.