PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — This isn’t your typical BLT sandwich!
Chef Bill Fuller from the Big Burrito Restaurant Group puts a new twist on this old favorite — and it’s not exactly something you want to eat in your Sunday best.
Chef Fuller describes his BLTB, or Bacon Lettuce Tomato Burrata, as “the sandwich you eat over the garbage can!”
Bacon Lettuce Tomato Burrata
(The Sandwich You Eat Over The Garbage Can!)
2-3 ea. Large, ripe tomatoes, cored and sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1-2 ea. Balls buratta, very fresh
1 ea. Loaf sourdough bread, sliced into 8 slices
Aioli (recipe below)
Lots of basil, at least 16 nice leaves
Lettuce of your choice
At least 12 slices bacon, rendered and drained
1. Lightly drizzle tomatoes with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Gently slice burrata when cold. Season with salt and pepper, allow to warm to room temperature.
3. Grill bread on one side. Spread Aioli on the grilled side. Top with slices of tomato, lots of leaves of basil, lettuce, burrata.
4. Top with bacon, still warm.
5. Close with bread, grilled side in.
6. Stand over a garbage can, leaning forward.
3 ea. cloves garlic
2 ea. egg yolks
1 C. Olive oil
1 Tbs. Lemon juice
Food processor or blender
1. Put garlic and yolks in processor and puree. Add a pinch of salt and while the processor is running drizzle in ½ of the oil. Add lemon juice and then drizzle in the rest of the oil.
2. Taste to see if it needs more seasoning and if it is to thick add a little ice water. When you are satisfied use this for your mayonnaise and add the cracked black peppercorns.