PENN HILLS (KDKA) – A home in Penn Hills was destroyed by fire early Tuesday morning.
According to officials at the scene, the fire broke out at a home on Glendale Road around 2:30 a.m.
The woman who lives at the home was at work at the time of the fire.
She came home Tuesday morning as the board-up company was shuttering her home. She found out hours after the fire broke out that nothing was left.
Neighbors had tried all morning to get in touch with her to prepare her.
Not only did she lose her house, but neighbors also had to break the news that the woman’s dog had no way to escape the smoke.
“Then we realized it was her house and I was scared because I thought she was home. I didn’t know she worked tonight and then I thought of the dog and I knew it was too late just from all the smoke,” a neighbor said.
It took firefighters about an hour to get the flames under control.
While firefighters were battling the blaze, the second floor of the home collapsed onto the first floor.
Investigators focused on the back of the home, in the kitchen area, where the fire is believed to have started.
Once it sparked, it quickly ignited the rest of the home.
With no family close-by, neighbors said they plan to help her get through the next few days.