PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The Wings Over Pittsburgh Air Show will have people gazing in awe this year when it returns Sept. 10 and 11 at the 911th Airlift Wing in Moon Township.
The 10th annual air show will feature the Heavy Metal Jet team, added this year to the North American air show tour. They will perform “various aerobatic maneuvers both Saturday and Sunday,” both in formation and solo flying, the press release states.
The Heavy Metal Jet team, a five-ship aerobatic, civilian-owned team, hails from Lancaster, Pa.
“As part of the team’s first season, the arctic camouflaged paint scheme of the four Aero Vodochovy L-39’s and one Canadair built T-33 is slated to be seen over the skies of Pittsburgh this weekend,” the press release states.
The free admission event is hosted by the 911th Airlift Wing, Air Reserve Station. In order to enter the show, attendees must present a legal photo form of ID.
The air show will occur from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Although the gates close at 3 p.m., the grounds will remain open until 5 p.m.
According to the press release, attendees are not permitted to bring coolers, liquid beverages, weapons, drugs, and drug paraphernalia. Although bags are not permitted, essential bags – such as diaper bags and camera bags – will be permitted and are subject to search.
Attendees are encouraged to bring strollers, wagons and folding chairs to enjoy their experience.
On Saturday, Sept. 10, and Sunday, Sept. 11, the following road closures will be in effect:
- The Thorn Run Interchange will be completely close to vehicular traffic and only open to pedestrian traffic.
- Traffic traveling westbound on Business Loop 376 will be detoured onto University Blvd, to Beaver Grade Road.
- Traffic traveling eastbound on Business Loop 376 will be detoured onto the Montour Run Road exit onto Montour Run Road to Beaver Grade Road.
- Access to Ewing Road from Business Loop 376 eastbound is currently closed due to construction prohibiting traffic from exiting.
Air show planners advise those who attend also to come early for parking and spare enough time for possible traffic delays.
Buses will be running continuously starting at 8:45 a.m. and provide transportation to and from the Air Show for all parking areas excluding the parking area off of the Airside Business Park Cargo A Exit. That parking area is within walking distance of the Air Show.
Handicap parking can be accessed via the Airside Business Park Cargo A (Airside Drive) Exit from Business Loop 376. Those vehicles will be parked on Lot 1 adjacent to county property.
According to the press release, parking spaces for the Pittsburgh Air Show include the following.
In Allegheny County property:
- Lots 9 & 10 located off International Drive Exit from Business Loop 376 (Orange Route).
- Lots 7 & 8 located on Cherrington Parkway off of Ewing Road/Business 376 (Brown Route).
- The Port Authority Park-N-Ride parking lot located on Port Authority Drive off of University Blvd behind the Sheetz Convenience Store (Green Route).
- Designated parking areas along Cherrington Parkway off of Ewing Road (Red Route).
- Airport Office Park located on Rouser Road off of Thorn Run Road (Blue Route).
- Lot 1 located adjacent to the 911th Airlift Wing and country property will be utilized only for handicapped guests.
All Air Show traffic traveling eastbound on Business Loop 376 from Beaver County will be directed to park in Lots 9 &10, the designated area off of International Drive. There is NO ACCESS from the Flaugherty Road exit to the lots. Handicapped guests will be directed to continue to the Airside Business Park Cargo A (Airside Drive) Exit from Business Loop 376 for parking.
All Air Show traffic traveling westbound from Pittsburgh will be directed to exit onto the Ewing Road Exit and park in the areas designated on Cherrington Parkway. Handicapped guests will be directed to continue to the Airside Business Park Cargo A (Airside Drive) Exit from Business Loop 376 for parking.
Air Show guests traveling to the Air Show on roadways other than Business Loop 376 may use the Port Authority Park-N-Ride parking lot off of University Blvd, Airport Office Park, on Rouser Road and off of Thorn Run Road.
Unless you are picking up or dropping off passengers, air show planners request that attendees do not use Pittsburgh International Airport parking or property to view the show, illegally park, or travel in and out of the International Airport’s property.
West Pointe buildings 1, 2 & 3, Dick’s Sporting Goods HQ, RIDC West and The U.S. Army 316th Expeditionary Sustainment Command property are not authorized areas for permitted parking.
KDKA’s Dave Crawley has a look at the work done by the 171st Air Refueling Wing: