Jordan Brown Trial Postponed While Court Reviews Appeal

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The trial for Jordan Brown – scheduled to begin on Tuesday – has been postponed.

This comes after the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review and the New Castle News appealed a judge’s decision to try to keep the public and the media out of court during Jordan Brown’s trial.

Brown allegedly shot and killed 26-year-old Kenzie Houk in 2009 at their home in New Beaver Township.

The trial has been postponed until an appeals court reviews whether the trial can be public.

A Lawrence County judge has already denied requests by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the New Castle News and the Tribune-Review.

Brown was 11 when he was arrested and was originally charged as an adult. However, the case was moved to juvenile court last month.

RELATED LINKS

More Local News
More Lawrence County
More News About This Case

Comments

1. Diane says:

Come on these families have gone through enough. Just like sharks circling their prey. How many juvenile cases is the news allowed to cover???

2. Dan Mascaro says:

The media should be allowed to cover it. We live in the United States of America. Why is everything always such a big secret? The government is always trying to hide something. This case has been in the media from day one. People have a right to know the facts.

3. Liz says:

People just want to know why this killer is not going to be brought to true justice and will only have to go to kiddie jail till he is 21 (if that long) and then will be free with a clean record…any bets on when he kills again? Cuz he sure has been given a nice free pass. I know, I know he was only 11, but old enough to kill a woman and her child who had just as much right to life, guess you think neither matter.

1. Stu says:

So, some of you already have him convicted. Interesting. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the facts before rushing to judge him.

Surely you and your families would like to be afforded the same.

1. Marie says:

Liz…Get your facts straight. Its a murder charge…if adjudicated he will NOT have a “clean record”

4. Little Pepe says:

He’s a scary looking kid

5. Binx says:

What good would it do to have it even more publicized? Will it be of great benefit to everyone if it were? I can’t see any good coming from knowing even more of this one. If people were really interested in the court proceedings, then read the outcome later. We don’t need to watch this child and the families involved on television being exploited further. All the other reality TV fiascoes are plenty enough. The media seems to always make things like this so much worse with their sensationalism speculations and reports.

1. Sage says:

Well said. Sour grapes from the media that he’s being tried as a juvenile. You can tell by some of the comments here that there is blood in the water, so to speak.

6. jodi says:

THAT KID NEEDS TO PAY FOR WHAT HE DID EXPLOIT HIM

7. Marie says:

Wow….Glad you already have him convicted. Any of you know the facts of the case? Any of you ever spent a minute with this child? Anyone aware of the gross negligence on the part of the state police? Are you aware that the investigation was botched from day one and forensic reports show that the so called evidence was in fact not evidence at all? And as far as the mug shot..did u know the 11 year old was awakened at 2 am. pulled from his bed, placed in a police car WITHOUT his father and driven to the county jail and he had been crying the entire day…his mom had been murdered that day after all…so yea, his eyes are red and he looks a little scary…or scared maybe..ya think? I ask that you PLEASE do some research before you condemn this child. Also…the reason the case is to be held out of the media is because the law is crystal clear…its a juvenile case…for goodness sakes the family cant even be in the courtroom, aside from the father and grandmother, why the hell should the media be there. SMH!

1. Dan Mascaro says:

How are we going to know the true facts in this case if the people and media are shut out? How will anyone know what the testimony was from either side?

1. Marie says:

Ive tried posting several times and my posts are not coming up. I woulkd be happy to share my findings with you Dan..if only I could. This page is not allowingit.

2. Marie says:

Okay..I think the original was too long so I broke it down…I posted a shred of what I know from court docs and sitting in on the hearings., although one of my comments is awaiting moderation….Im not asking ANYONE to change their opinion..simply to look at the facts and make an informed decision. Please. We r talking about a child here.

8. Tim says:

How could you “Read about it later” if the press isn’t allowed to cover the case?

9. Vince says:

He doesn’t look like he’s crying. He was old enough to know what he did, and I doubt it was an accident. Bring justice to him!

10. Marie says:

Not sure why Im able to reply to your posts…but I have responded to your question Dan…Ill try again if it doesnt post soon.

11. Marie says:

According to the 7 year old daughter Kenzie yelled out from her bed, “Hurry Up your gonna miss the bus” at which point Jordan ran upstairs..heres where it gets fishy…the prosecutions theory is that Jordan went to retrieve the gun, ran back down the stairs walked across Kenzies room, grabbed a shell, loaded the gun, walked back across the room, placed it ON her head and fired…So we are expected to believe that in mere minutes Kenzie fell into such a deep sleep that she never yelled, got out of bed to see what was going on, or even turned her head when the gun was placed on her head…this is evident by the photos. Pretty deep sleeper huh? And quick too. cont..

1. Marie says:

The murder weapon, according to the prosecution, was a 20 guage shotgun, manner of death was a shotgun placed on her head and fired…yet Kenzies face was intact, the State Trooper first on scene says that he was unaware she had been shot, she believed she was hemhorraging due to pregnancy because he saw blood under her body. Have you ever scene the dammage caused by a shotgun? An average 20 guage shell hold 158 #6 pellets…36 were removed from Kenzies head…none from the pillow, bed, wall, carpet, crimescene. where did they go? There was NO DNA or FINGERPRINT evidence. No blood or matter on the walls, the carpet, nowhere in the home other than the bed and pillow…NOT EVEN ON THE GUN or THE SPENT SHELL CASING.

1. Marie says:

12. Marie says:

Are we to believe the 11 year old also cleaned the gun, and changed his clothes and washed them in those few moments before they were going to “miss the bus” Obviously there are facts you will not read..you could only know if you were in the courtroom..I was. I have followed this case and once the facts were presented I changed my opinion. I find it impossible that the child is guilty. I can offer this…if you want the facts..start here:

13. Kill Him says: