Officer Killed In Lower Burrell Shooting, Suspected Gunman Dead

LOWER BURRELL (KDKA) — A police officer was killed in a shooting in Lower Burrell.

This happened at about 7 p.m. outside the Dairy Queen in the 300-block of Greensburg Road.

Officer Derek Kotecki was a K-9 officer with the Lower Burrell Police Department.

“This is a horrible tragedy,” Ronald Hopkins, retired Arnold Police Chief, said. “I just found out just a short time ago. I’m down here just to support the Lower Burrell police in their time of need.”

Police had been looking for 33-year-old Charlie Post since a shooting incident earlier this month outside the Clarion Hotel in New Kensington.

Post was at the Dairy Queen with the intention of surrendering, according to his brother.

Post was wanted on charges of attempted homicide and aggravated assault after allegedly firing about a dozen shots at his former boss.

Sources say when police showed up at the Dairy Queen Wednesday evening, the suspect pulled out a gun and allegedly killed Kotecki.

KDKA’s Ralph Iannotti reports Post then shot himself.

“He did his job very well,” Joseph Grillo, a Lower Burrell councilman, said of the fallen officer. “It’s tough to think these guys are out serving and protecting and we take that for granted.”

Allegheny County Police are there to help process the crime scene.

“This is going to be a long evening for us,” Dan Stevens, with Westmoreland County Emergency Management, said.

“When you’re dealing with a shooting, you want to make sure you do everything properly and we don’t want to release any information before it should be released and we want to make sure the information that you get is not hearsay information.”

Stay with KDKA for the latest developments.

RELATED LINKS
More Local News
More Westmoreland County News

More from Ralph Iannotti
Comments

1. Kathy says:

May God be with the friends and family of this hero, and his PD family as well. Thank you Officer , for your bravery, and sacrifice. You will live forever in our hearts. Prayers of comfort and peace for those affected.

2. Daniel says:

Yes. These brave men and women go out everyday. Today one Officer will not come home. A tragedy to say the least.

3. Sara says:

So sorry for his families. Lower Burrell get out your blue lights to show support and sympathy for this hero.

1. marilyn says:

I have left my blue lights on in my window (3 of them) since the three police officers were killed back in April. These fine men uphold the laws and everyday they are in danger. May God be with them.

4. Phyllis West says:

May God bless this officer’s family and friends. What a tragic loss.

5. Lisa Cowfer says:

May God Bless The Officer’s Family & Friend’s. It is a shame, these officer’s only doing there job. R.I.P.

6. johnny69 says:

Dirtball killing a father with a family…burn in hell slime

7. Sad and angry says:

Deepest sympathy goes out to the Kotecki family and brother officers. Also praying for Officer Benny, the canine partner who had to witness this tragedy.

1. From Arnold says:

Officer Kotecki’s K-9 partner is Odin, not Benny. . When Officer Kotecki was felled by the fatal shot, Odin would not leave his side. I can only hope that Odin will be allowed to stay with Officer Kotecki’s family. My thoughts & prayers are with Derek’s family and his fellow officers in the Lower Burrell Police Departments. This area has lost a most dedicated officer, and this world has lost an exceptional man God Speed – May you surely rest in peace.

8. Justin Moran says:

yo i know that charlie post he freakin chased my car down his driveway with a shovel!!!

9. Ed Young says:

A true hero has gone to Heaven and is now sitting and being watched over by our LORD. May the LORD watch over and be with the Kotecki family and his brother Police Officers, at this time of deep mourning. May we all pray for these beloved people and put this on our prayer chains.

10. sick by this says:

Everyone really needs to quit calling people names. Charlie has a family that lost a son, brother, nephew, grandson. I’m not saying that this was the right thing to do! He took the life of a Father, Son, Husband, friend, etc….. Everyone should be praying for the families and friends that have to deal with this whole situation. This was a TRAGEDY! My thoughts and prayers go out to the Kotecki and Post Families and loved ones! Both will be severely missed!

1. Anya says:

No one but his parents will miss this dirt bag. This man was a drunk, a druggie, a complete waste of a human being. I praise the police in Lower Burrell & I hope that the autopsy proves that one of the police officers bullets turns out to be the one that killed this loser. God bless the LBPD and the city of Lower Burrell.

2. nope says:

As someone who grew up in Burrell and now chooses to live in the city, I think you should look at the crime rate comparisons. Many Pittsburgh neighborhoods are actually much nicer than Burrell. I have left my back door open for an entire weekend to let my dog have access to my yard while we were on vacation…my mom in Burrell can’t do that and has been the victim of attempted home invasion twice. You couldn’t pay me to move back.

1. yep says:

i grew up in burrell too and thats funny cause there is a very low crime rate in lower burrell and if your moms house was attempted to be broken into not once but twice do you think maybe shes the target or maybe even you as to why you say you moved to the city and are saying alot of other places are safer than lower burrell and you would never move back. come on its lower burrell we are talking about

2. joe says:

i grow up knowing both of these men this is not about what happened to your mother, this is about what transpired last night, give these famileys peice stop the bashing the officer was a very fine cop i went to high school with him. also i know the post familey. i was a very sad thing to see two people that knew each other. but on two different side of the law

3. john says:

your mom live in a trailer park???????

3. Rick says:

Your not tough…. your simply here for my amusement. The poster is correct. Charlie’s family didn’t do this and deserves no bad treatment. Of course we wish the best to the officer’s family because he died simply trying to support his family. Love or hate police officers you have to respect that. I wish his sons and wife the best, but I do not forget the family who now have to live with the reality that Charlie is gone and killed Officer Kotecki. I know Richard Poplawski’s father and I know it can be hard to live with

4. disgusted says:

1. judy says:

I grew up in Lower Burrell in the fifties and sixties and believe me Burrell has changed. It is not the wholesome place it used to be and people in Burrell should not think that New Ken is the problem. Lower Burrell is just as depressed socially and economically as New Kensington. And it is only going to get worse with the state of this economy.

5. MaryLou says:

I agree. He does have a family. I am not saying what he did was right or justified. But these people ache inside just like Kotecki’s family. You should maybe take the name calling to a more appropriate website for children like facebook or myspace.

11. dave says:

My heart goes out to the officer, his family and the entire community of Lower Burrell. So much senseless killing going on in the A-K Valley.

12. JOE says:

as growing up knowing both familey, a fine cop was lost, mr post sorry for ur lose there need not to be any bashing on eather side. we as people need to pray for both famileys and walk threw these hard times togeather. AND PRAY FOR FAMILEY MEMBER TO GET THREW THESE THING AS A HOLE COMMUNITY AND PRAY FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT THIS AFFECTED THERE IN THE LORDS HANDS. TROUBLE IS NOT THE WAY OF LIFE.

13. marilyn says:

What a senseless tragedy. My prayers to the police officer’s wife and kids. God Bless!

14. devastated says:

Ive lived in Lower Burrell all my life and would never imagine anything like this happening. I know both families and feel sorry for their loss for Charlies parents and Officer Koteckis entire family especially his kids they have lost a great father because of a senseless tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with the family as they remember a fallen hero that will forever be in our hearts. I do also have to agree with an early comment I am not surprised by Charlies actions and I do also feel his brother Chris should be watched as he is just as unstable as Charlie. Everyone should also keep in mind that Mr. and Mrs. Post are good people sometimes you cant help what your kids get involved with or the path they choose in life you can only do your best raising them and hope they make the right choices.

15. Jeeperz says:

Rest in peace Officer Kotecki. Thank you for your bravery and sacrifice.

16. Caroline says:

The blame belongs to society. A society that does not take care of the mentally sick. This man should have been institutionalized. Problem is: Society did away with such institutions. So society is responsible for the death of this policeman.

1. get real says:

B.S.

1. the truth says:

To “Get Real” You may not agree with Caroline, but it is true. During the 1980’s, the Republican administration drastically cut funding and emptied mental health facilities all over this country. Those people ended on the streets and many of them were Viet Nam Vets. It happened– learn your history.

17. SGT JAMES W.SHUMAKER (RETIED) ANG says:

Rest easy Officer Kotecki. Thank you for your bravery and sacrifice. And years of service to your community. May God be with family and friends of this Hero,and his PD family as well.

18. joe says:

this is not about what happened to your mother this is about what transpired last night stop the rudness the are two familey that lost love ones let these famileys have peice. this isnt a bashing contest. god bless the officer familey, mr post sorry for ur lose

19. Gen says:

I may not be from the area, but I offer my deepest sympathies to the friends and family of the officer. I also hope that they are able to get the brother and bring an end to this.

20. ELAINE says:

GOD BLESS OFFICER KOTECKI , HE MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRAFICE AN OFFICER CAN MAKE. SYMPATHY TO ALL THE FAMILIES INVOLVED, PLEASE DON’T TRASH CHRIS, HE IS NOT LIKE HIS BROTHER. CHARLIE HAD ISSUES, BUT HE WAS AN ADULT AND NO ONE COULD FORCE HIM TO GET HELP NOW HE MUST FACE GOD FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE.. LETS LET GOD JUDGE HIM AND LET THE FAMILIES MOURNE. PRAY FOR THE WIFE AND CHILDREN OF OFFICER KOTECKI AND BENNY AND THE POST FAMILY WHO WILL HAVE TO BURY THEIR SON AND BROTHER. I HOPE SOMEONE STARTS A FUND IN HONOR OF THIS OFFICER, HE DESERVES SOME TYPE OF TRIBUTE.

21. Brenda says:

Rest in peace. Thank you for the 18 years of dedicated service to the area. Wishes to the family, the K-9, and his fellow officers. Gods Speed. You may stand down now officer.

22. Michelle says:

@Jane Excuse me?Charlie did not come from a trailor park family.His family is very wealthy and very respected in this community.This happened because Charlie Post went down the wrong path and became a drug dealer/user.There’s only one trailor park in Burrell btw.I don’t judge a person where they live,but how they live.Drug dealers/users are everywhere and they run rough shot on their families,Law Enforcements Officers and us!We lost one of the finest officers the L.B.P.D. has ever had and ever will have.I don’t know what you’re smoking but Burrell does not have low taxes.If you’re in Allegheny County then yes,it would be low to you.

23. LB RESIDENT says:

I LIVE IN LOWER BURRELL ALSO AND HAVE BEEN HEARING CONFLICTING STORIES, THE PAPER SAID CHARLIE AMBUSHED OFFICER KOTECKI BUT ALSO SAID THAT CHARLIE WAS IN THE PASSENGER SEAT OF HIS SUV WHEN OFFICER KOTECKI PULLED UP. WOULDN’T OFFICER KOTECKI KNOWING CHARLIE WAS UNSTABLE STAY IN HIS CAR AND INSTEAD MAKE CHARLIE GET OUT OF HIS CAR WITH HIS HANDS UP AND LAY ON THE GROUND? ANOTHER STORY WAS CHARLIE WAS LAYING IN THE BACK OF THE SUV AND SHOT THROUGH THE BACK WINDOW. IT IS ALL SAD AND I AM JUST TRYING TO MAKE SENSE OF THIS AND HOW IT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED.

24. joe says:

WE AS A COMMUNITY NEED TO PRAY FOR THE FAMILEYS ,NO ONE SHOULD JUDGE THE ACTION THEY TOOK GOD IS THE OVERALL JUDGE GOD SAID I AM THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIGHT ALL THESE PEOPLE WTIH MIXED FILLING NEED TO TURN TO THE LIGHT OF THE LORD, AND PRAY,AND ASK FOR UNDERSTANDING. THREW THE HARD TIMES OF THIS, THE REAL ANSWER IS TO TURN TO THE LORD. GOD BLESS THE FAMILEY AND FRIENDS, AND KIDS THAT ARE GOING THREW THIS HARD TIME TURN TO THE LORD HE WILL GIVE YOU GUIDENCE THREW THESE HARD TIME, GOD BLESS

25. anonymous says:

Rest in the arms of Jesus, Officer Kotecki. You are a true hero. God bless and protect your family and loved ones. You are all in our prayers.

26. SHEILA MILNER says:

SHEILA,
    GOD CALLED A ANGEL TO COME HOME. R.I.P.OFFICER KOTECKI.
    GOD BE WITH THE FAMILY, AND THE LBPD,