kdka-sm kdka-am-sm fan-sm pittsburgh-cw-logo

Latest News

Wilkinsburg Family Sickened By Fumes, Hospitalized

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Ross Guidotti Ross Guidotti
Pittsburgh native and Point Park graduate Ross Guidotti joined KDKA-TV...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

WILKINSBURG (KDKA) — A family of seven are in the hospital today after they were overcome by what authorities believe were high levels of carbon monoxide from an improperly vented furnace in Wilkinsburg.

According to authorities, Pittsburgh firefighters and Wilkinsburg EMS crews were called to the 1400-block of Marlboro Avenue around 7:45 a.m.

“I got up to see what was going on and I came out on my porch and when I saw them babies, I just, I had to go back in,” said Janie Tatum, a neighbor.

KDKA’s Ross Guidotti reports that five children and two adults were rescued from the first floor of the multiple unit residence, all apparently suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

“The part I saw was when they were carrying them from one paramedic to another and seeing the boys cry and everything,” Tatum added.

The kids were taken to Children’s Hospital for treatment while the two adults went to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital. So far, their names and conditions have not been released.

Immediately, investigators suspected a faulty furnace.

Peoples Natural Gas crews were called to the scene and cut off service. One Peoples Natural Gas worker who didn’t want to appear on camera described the furnace and vent system as deplorable.

Firefighters reported the carbon monoxide levels were at fatal levels.

“I’ve always seen that happen on the news on TV and stuff, but this close and to see what it really does to you that’s a bit much,” added Tatum.

A man living on the third floor was also evacuated, but was not sickened.

RELATED LINKS:
Wilkinsburg
More News from Wilkinsburg